What is the most ignorant thing a Christian has told you?

Started by MagetheEntertainer, February 26, 2015, 06:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contemporary Protestant

Pickled-thanks

I am not satisfied with that philosophy (of only accepting what i can prove) because i do think there are things we cant aee, so i see an evidence based philosophy as a bAd idea because of that limitation. it will only ever go as far as the human capacity to understand, i think the universe will never be fully understood,

as for the guiding force, i know that cant be proven, but for me, personal experience is sufficient to believe to there must be something. Take Schindler for instance, he gave up all his money to save some Jewish people, or how some jews forgave the Nazis, or how Louis Zamperini forgave his Japanese captors

i just dont think morality is so simple as biological drives

the_antithesis

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 28, 2015, 10:48:58 AM
I am not satisfied with that philosophy (of only accepting what i can prove) because i do think there are things we cant aee, so i see an evidence based philosophy as a bAd idea because of that limitation.

It's not about only accepting what is proven as much as not making up and believing any old bullshit.

Evidence based philosophy may have limitations, but making up shit is itself a limitation.

Aletheia

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 28, 2015, 10:48:58 AM
Pickled-thanks

I am not satisfied with that philosophy (of only accepting what i can prove) because i do think there are things we cant aee, so i see an evidence based philosophy as a bAd idea because of that limitation. it will only ever go as far as the human capacity to understand, i think the universe will never be fully understood,

as for the guiding force, i know that cant be proven, but for me, personal experience is sufficient to believe to there must be something. Take Schindler for instance, he gave up all his money to save some Jewish people, or how some jews forgave the Nazis, or how Louis Zamperini forgave his Japanese captors

i just dont think morality is so simple as biological drives

I can appreciate your desire to want more out of life, but the fact remains that an evidence based philosophy is the only way to understand reality and that we as a species are limited by our capacity to learn.

Yes, our acts of morality can be profound, but their origins are found in our biological drives and tempered by logic in many cases.

As usual, I thank you for your honesty.

Here is a more logical approach to morality that you might find intriguing, if nothing else:

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Contemporary Protestant

I was trying to be subtle hut i think arguing about the existence of God is pointless, yall already all the christian arguments and i have been exposed to plenty of the atheistic arguments

so instead of posting apologetics ad naseum, im going to say the truth and that is i dont think anyone can be sure on this topic

alethia-thanks, will watch the video

the_antithesis

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 28, 2015, 11:05:16 AM
I was trying to be subtle hut i think arguing about the existence of God is pointless,

What's a god?

the_antithesis

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 28, 2015, 11:16:53 AM
to me its a moral guiding force

That is not a definition. That is a job description.

If you had never seen a cat and asked me was a cat was and I told you that a cat is what took a shit behind the television, you would find that response unhelpful.

Contemporary Protestant

i disagree, i think iob description is sufficient, such as what is a television, the box that shows pictures

Solitary

:eek: Catholic: "Pain and suffering bring you closer to God!"  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

caseagainstfaith

Its hard to say what specifically is the "most ignorant" but, one that was memorable was that a Christian said I couldn't use the Bible to show the Bible is inconsistent because I don't believe in it.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on February 28, 2015, 07:46:33 AM
Sorry to hear that about your mom dude. Dealing with the stupidity of theism is one thing, having it come from someone close to you, when your someone who rationalizes the world around you, is the worst.
I wonder if this is why my cousin moved like 300 miles away from home, to get away from her nutball mother.

In the main, I'm not surprised.  Addictive personality runs in that side of the family; I have to keep an eye on it myself.  Her mom was an alcoholic; she herself swung so hard the other way she wouldn't even take communion wine... and of course, because I won't go to church, she's decided I must be an alcoholic too.  She already tried to get my ex to go in on an intervention against me.  Because, you know, I'm an atheist so I must also be an alcoholic.  *eyeroll*

I just don't care anymore.  As soon as she apologizes to my sister and my dad for lying to them (and I'm sure there have been others, but I can document her lies to them), and then apologizes to me, she can be mom again -- not that I'll ever trust her again, but it'd be nice to see the rest of the family again (she is rather an extreme control freak and everything in the family has to revolve around her).

Until then. shes just some crazy old lady wrapped up in her sick little fantasy world and I am just not going to deal with her.  At least my nieces have their heads screwed on straight -- I don't know what (if anything) they believe (that's not a conversation I've ever had with either of them: one's still a minor so it's not my place, and the one that isn't hasn't asked and it just hasn't come up), but they don't think it's their responsibility to cram it down my throat, and then lie about me when they don't get their way.

I mean, I have much better things to do with my life than deal with a hysterical, dishonest, selfish  and self-righteous hypocrite.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

aitm

I like the ones that claim they believe in God and Jesus but not the God and Jesus of the babble,,,,"because you know, that book that defines them must not be the book that defines them because that book makes it sound like God and Jesus are bad sometimes and I know that God and Jesus are good because I can feel it…"  you know,,,that kind of stupidity
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Aroura33

My mother told me I was going to "ruin heaven" for her. Then she told me, as if divulging a pearl of wisdom, that "there are no atheists in foxholes".  Sigh.

I needed a drink after that conversation.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

SGOS

Quote from: Aroura33 on February 28, 2015, 07:04:53 PM
My mother told me I was going to "ruin heaven" for her. Then she told me, as if divulging a pearl of wisdom, that "there are no atheists in foxholes".  Sigh.
Yep, every atheist prays to God when he's going to die... Except my uncle, who threw the minister out of the house when he had terminal cancer.  My family still talks about it.

Edit:  It's a clever saying, sounds like a pearl of wisdom, except that it was coined by some theist that didn't have a clue about atheism. 

Munch

I've been very thankful that the the last funerals I've been to have been humanist ones, where they talk in reflection about their lives and doesn't preach some afterlife crap. my grandmother and dad where neither religious, and mum didn't want some religious service.

Sad thing was, there wasn't much reflection for dad and his life, we didn't talk about much at the wake, and that was probably the last time I'd see his relatives.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin