What is the most ignorant thing a Christian has told you?

Started by MagetheEntertainer, February 26, 2015, 06:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Quote from: aitm on March 08, 2015, 09:40:26 AM
Whatever beer is the most nasty and bitter is what he loves. I am old school yellow fizzy stuff.
You mean piss?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Aletheia

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on March 07, 2015, 07:22:01 PM
i do see morality as black and white, it is obviously situational, but i do think it is foolish to say that such and such behavior cant be right or wrong

Then what you have defined is relative morality - which runs counter to the Christian doctrine (regardless of the denomination), which believe firmly in absolute morality. Relative morality takes into account a given situation but absolute morality proposes that morality is the same in all situations.

For example:

Relative Morality:

It is wrong to lie to your family, especially when they can help you. It was right for people to lie to the Nazis when asked if they were harbouring Jews.

Absolute Morality:

It is wrong to lie, no matter the situation.

It is wrong to lie to your family, especially when they can help you. It is wrong to for people to lie to the Nazis when asked if they were harbouring Jews.

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on March 07, 2015, 07:22:01 PM
i think self interest, if put first can be very bad, when i say be selfless, i dont never fulfil your own needs, i just dont think that putting self first is moral

If self-interest is never put first, then the person will neglect their own needs and suffer as a result. It seems that you're wanting to apply absolute morality here in thinking that self-interest must never be put first. Furthermore, you want your cake and eat it too. For you, self-interest must never be put first and yet people shouldn't neglect their own needs.We've already established in a previous dialogue that a purely self-less person will die from neglect. A person who never puts self-interest first will die from neglect as well, even though they do still have self-interest but aren't applying it.

Self-interest, when used in moderation is vital to maintaining the well being of an individual. It is neither good nor evil, merely another neutral aspect of our nature. A given situation will determine whether implementing self-interest has good effects or bad effects on the individual and those around them.

All that morality can determine is if the manner in which a neutral trait or behaviour is applied in a given situation has good or bad results. The act itself has the potential to be good or bad, but is not inherently one way or the other.

There isn't a simple solution when it comes to morality. There isn't any such thing as absolute morality. It's all relative, and we have to assess the positives and negatives of a given action or behaviour to determine if it was mostly good or mostly bad. No short cuts and no absolutes.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on March 07, 2015, 12:15:34 PM
i honestly think if the rich opened their hands, it would solve plenty
No, it wouldn't. That is an overly simple solution for a complex problem.

Aletheia

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on March 07, 2015, 01:12:57 PM
i disagree with the assumption because it assumes all religons are dogmatic and organized as well as deceitful. in addition to having an under current of power struggle

All religions are dogmatic, organized, and deceitful due primarily because of the undercurrent of a power struggle. Religions are organizations that draw an income for services rendered - much like any other institution (charity, business, etc). Greed is always a problem when resources are available. This results in a power struggle between the self-interest of the individual and the cohesiveness of the group. Humans, like any other social animal, tries to solve this problem with a rank structure, in which power/resources are divided accordingly. How these resources are divided and why people are assigned the ranks they are varies.

Lastly, religions use dogma, which is a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true. Yet, the authority they use is unsubstantiated, and therefore interpretations can vary greatly. This can destabilize the distribution of resources and services rendered, which leads to more profound power struggles. During these episodes of destabilization, the more greedy constituents seize opportunities for themselves at the expense of the group. Once the group is reorganized yet again, these greedy individuals may have acquired more power and wealth, which causes greater disparity among the group. 

Lather, rinse, and repeat. Eventually you'll end up with a very deceptive and morally corrupt religion which draws in unwary members who are swindled on a regular basis.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.