News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

From Theism to Atheism to Confusion

Started by ConfusedSkeptic, February 27, 2015, 07:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aridhale

I feel horrible for what you are going through. Perhaps this might help ease you. When I first started doubting in God I was scared. I was also taught that God is merciful and loving. To my mind, a merciful and loving God would not put ANYONE in hell no matter how horrible they have been. That is true love right? So for years I spent my nights going over in my head whether God was real or not (even before I actually started to research this). I eventually came to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter if I believe in God because since God is all loving he will forgive me. Years later I became even more comfortable with this idea and started actually looking at the evidence and a few years later became an atheist. Now I'm starting to become an anti-theist.

Just start by believing that that all loving God that you believe in will forgive you no matter what decision you come to. It helped ease the fear when I was starting out. From there you will hopefully get the courage to move forward.

pr126

QuoteJust start by believing that that all loving God that you believe in will forgive you no matter what decision you come to. It helped ease the fear when I was starting out. From there you will hopefully get the courage to move forward.
Allah is not an all loving god. Allah is a god who hates.

A psychopath, Muhammad's alter ego.

SGOS

Somehow, most religions seem to be able to mouth the words "loving God", while at the same time describing a vengeful prick.  In fact, I clearly remember the words "God of vengeance" from my religious upbringing.  True, some families believe God is loving, while other families seem to prefer the concept of a God of vengeance.  Both descriptions were used in my upbringing at the same time.  It makes no logical sense for God to be both, except when you hear this over and over starting at a young age, and then you make yourself believe the two qualities exist together.

I think Airdhale nailed this when he says "Just start by believing that that all loving God that you believe in will forgive you."  This is where it was at for me, although when I told myself that, I did have a feeling I was engaging in wishful thinking or rationalizing to sooth myself.  But if you remove the fear and emotion from God being both at the same time and look at it logically, you have to allow that an all loving god will forgive.  If he won't, he cannot be all loving.

In the end, for a perfect God that's "all everything", he has to be 100%.  You don't have to prove every aspect of such a god to be false to negate him.  If only one thing in his words or the usual holy book assigned to him is in error, you can safely disregard his perfection as bullshit.  A perfect god wouldn't get it wrong, and he would not be illogical.  When error and logical fallacy exists, it is obviously the work and writing of men, ignorant men.  After that, any claims about a god, and claims for his nature become null and void, the fabrications of the delusional minds of mortal men attempting to gain power, wealth, or to simply sound important.

These behaviors are so ingrained in man's competitive nature, that it becomes the most likely explanation for the concept of God.  Man needs to be important so much that he will actually claim he has a personal relationship with a god and he can describe God in great detail.  Oddly, he believes that this all powerful god, created man in his own image.  Now talk about a crock of nonsense.  It's unbelievable that so many people internalize this nonsense.