What is the most ignorant thing a Christian has told you?

Started by MagetheEntertainer, February 26, 2015, 06:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagetheEntertainer

For me it was when somebody I was going to church with actually believed that God made the rain, which I talked about more here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcUZZ8uJN6g
Right now believing in an actual rain God is probably the most ignorant thing I've heard a Christian say to my face, what about you?

Munch

Funny thing, today my aunt visited my mum when I was there, and despite my aunt not actually calling herself a christian, she has all the hallmarks of a theist.

Today, she talked about The theory of everything, how she loved the movie.. but not for the reasons you might think. she loved it, because she says he loves how hawkins (character) talked about the big bang theory, but later in life discusses how it might not be the answer for the universe. She loves it because she loves the idea of a man like hawkins "being wrong", and that her idea of the universe is the only real one.

Also, she once said, with my brother there too, that evolution was utter rubbish, it doesn't exist. My brother was so dumbfounded by this, he had to leave the house instead of exploding at my aunt. He later texted mum yelling all manner of stuff at how stupid our aunt is, which mum agrees, she is stupid, but puts up with it because she's family.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

It's hard to decide the most ignorant thing a Christian has told me, simply because the inventory of ignorant things Christians have told me is far too large to keep track of, but a few years ago, I had a discussion about illogical inconsistencies of the Bible with a theist.  Granted this fellow was ignorant from the get go about almost everything.  He was a know it all with an unusually limited knowledge base (Get the picture?).  His comment was, "No, no.  The Bible is completely logical!"

OK, now that statement in isolation is not ignorant.  It was ignorant because he offered no context for the claim.  In other words he did not bother to even attempt to demonstrate how the Bible was logical.  It was ignorant because he was apparently ignorant of what logic is.  You can't just say something is logical on the grounds that you say it's logical.  Logic is a process and it begs to be organized, contemplated, and demonstrated.  Nothing is logical just because it is claimed to be logical.  To think that such a claim is worthy of argument, is just plain ignorant.

OK, now that I'm thinking about that particular guy, here's another ignorant comment:  "Gays are not discriminated against.  They pay taxes like everyone else."  I won't even attempt to deconstruct that.  LOL

dtq123

A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Contemporary Protestant

a catholic told me im going to hell for not being catholic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 26, 2015, 10:40:03 PM
Similarly, a Catholic and a Evangelical told me that I am going to hell, no matter how nonexistent my evil is with me only doing good deeds because I don't accept Jesus as my savior.

They were my friends. Not anymore.

leo

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 26, 2015, 10:40:03 PM
Most protestants say the same  thing about Catholics and nonchristians religions.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

leo

Apparently most people will go to hell. There is only 700-800 million  protestants from 7 billion people in the world. Muslims say the same shit about non muslim people. Same bullshit.

SGOS

Quote from: leo on February 26, 2015, 10:58:27 PM
Apparently most people will go to hell. There is only 700-800 million  protestants from 7 billion people in the world. Muslims say the same shit about non muslim people. Same bullshit.
Good point.  Everyone is pointing the finger at everyone else.  I knew one of those 144,000 seats in heaven Christian women that somehow believed she and her husband were destined for two of those seats.  This in spite of the fact that her husband refused to even attend church, and she herself gloated over everyone else who would eventually suffer in Hell.  Now, maybe she's right.  Who can say?  I'm not sure how God will pick the winners.  Maybe he likes gloaters brimming with hatred and vengeance and people who don't go to church.  Anyway 144,000 is such a big number she would likely make the final cut, given that there are only a few billion people in the world.

GrinningYMIR

I had a Christian accost me for reading a comic called Maus in the library (good comic) She said it was filthy jew material and that I should burn it in front of the library, literally. her actual words. She called me a bad person for reading it (I was just coming to terms with my atheism at the time, still didn't quite believe it)

I just went: Look lady, I was just reading a comic...

she sneered at me and called me a heathen. That was a surreal experience
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Contemporary Protestant

i honestly doubt the after life more than anything, and ive decided personally that the afterlife isnt going to dictate my life

if i was forced to assume there was an after life i would be an annhilationist (hell=nonexistence)

YMIR, i am always amazed at how rude some people are

Hydra009

My absolute favorite:  "I can sum it all up in three words: Evolution is a lie."  It became a pretty memorable quote on FSTDT, but I was right there at the ground floor.  That guy was an absolute nut, lol.

Atheon

"Of course god exists. How could he not exist?"
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

leo

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 26, 2015, 11:27:26 PM
i honestly doubt the after life more than anything, and ive decided personally that the afterlife isnt going to dictate my life

if i was forced to assume there was an after life i would be an annhilationist (hell=nonexistence)

YMIR, i am always amazed at how rude some people are
But what's the point in believing christianity or any religion if death is the end ? No after life = any religion is a waste  of your time and life.