What is the most ignorant thing a Christian has told you?

Started by MagetheEntertainer, February 26, 2015, 06:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 28, 2015, 11:53:48 AM
i disagree, i think iob description is sufficient, such as what is a television, the box that shows pictures

That's more descriptive than what you'd said earlier.

But whatever. Let's work with that definition. You said it was a force. What kind a force and how does this force interact with objects?

Contemporary Protestant

i said a moral guiding force, it interacts with people by prompting them to make moral actions, when a person feels like they should do something even when they dont want to, say sit with an annoying kid but lonely kid at lunch
by being friend a friend to the friendless, the right thing was done, i would attribute that decision to God because it was something i wouldnt had done if i hadnt been pushed to do it by a moral guiding force

GSOgymrat

Aletheia

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 28, 2015, 11:55:40 PM
i said a moral guiding force, it interacts with people by prompting them to make moral actions, when a person feels like they should do something even when they dont want to, say sit with an annoying kid but lonely kid at lunch
by being friend a friend to the friendless, the right thing was done, i would attribute that decision to God because it was something i wouldnt had done if i hadnt been pushed to do it by a moral guiding force

Has it ever occurred to you that you aren't a completely selfish prick who requires an outside force to make you a selfless person who wants to do good things?

Those good acts stem from your own desires and are part of who you inherently are. There's no need to attribute these qualities to some intangible entity. They come from you and only you.

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Contemporary Protestant

thats the thing, i do think people are inherently egotistical and cowardly. that for a person to be concerned with something outside of themselves takes a great deal of maturity, but that to take action requires even more

SGOS

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 28, 2015, 11:55:40 PM
Science has not detected anything like radio waves carrying moral instructions that our brains detect.  However, this would account for why morals change.  The thing in charge of moral broadcasting, could send out different signals if he decides that slavery is unacceptable, or that gay marriage is now acceptable.  Of course, Christians are not all receiving the same message, so the signal must not be clear.  This is why God uses the same broadcasting system to send out special waves that can only be picked up by Pat Robertson, who is in charge of relaying these special announcements to the public.  There are also special frequencies for the Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas, but these are encrypted and require a special decoder ring.

However this is done, it is apparent that morality most certainly comes to us through space from a moral leader.  Otherwise, everyone would be running around killing each other.  Well, a lot of us do run around killing each other, but this is probably because the Devil or something is jamming the signals.

While I can't prove that such signals exist, their presence should be self evident.  How else could we know right from wrong?

Contemporary Protestant

eh, i think people will lie cheat and steal to get what they want and to justify their actions
which goes back to my intial premise that people are not good

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Contemporary Protestant

i think people are not good nevause they are selfish and complacent. people need to stand up and say no, speak out against slavery (which still existd even in the west) and no more disenfranchisement of poor people. Oust the politicians who wont do anything to help the people

leo

You don't answer my question. Why people aren't good? What's the cause of people being assholes ?

leo

Why you say your goodness came from the biblical god ? The biblical god is a asshole. Slavery is ok in the bible. God commanded people to kill others  for breaking stupid rules, like working in the sabbath for example.

Contemporary Protestant

i am not sure about the biblical god, and i dont know why people are not good but it seems to me that people suck
which is why i think some outside factor must be at play when a person is good

leo

What about millions of buddhists and Jains that are good people? They don't believe in a creator god. What about millions of atheists worldwide that are good  people?  Of course millions of atheists are assholes. Millions of buddhists are assholes. Many Jains are assholes. The point is that many people in the world are legit good without the belief in the creator god.

Contemporary Protestant

i never said that belief in God makes people good

and if there are so many good people, why do these persons allow atrocities to exist

leo

You said in other posts  the belief in your god make or help you to be a good person. Are you serious ? There are many good people in the world but not all of them can help to stop the atrocities in the world. I could ask you , what are you doing to stop the atrocities in the Middle East by ISIS ?  The better question is : where is your god ( remember your god is all powerful and all knowing ) when atrocities happen in the world since the beginning of the human race ? Why so much suffering in the animal kingdom?