What is the most ignorant thing a Christian has told you?

Started by MagetheEntertainer, February 26, 2015, 06:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leo

"God did it " One of the most stupid religious  lines ever.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Contemporary Protestant

eh, i dont think there is a universal answer for the purpise of life, but for me personally. the afterlife isnt the point, the point is trying to lead a selfless life and to be apart of a lovingb community. I will not go to a church where there is only preaching and no helping the local people. I have been suicidal in the past, so i personally needed to find something outside myself to find a reason to live, So far its worked and ive been happier somce ive lived for the sake of others

Aletheia

"God Will Provide"
I have yet to see God pay an electric bill or provide reliable transportation for someone in need.

"God Helps A Man Who Helps Himself"
That's not in the Bible and was more of a joke, tbh.

"Hate the Sin, Not the Sinner"
If that's the case, then why all the anti-gay laws?

"You Need God In Your Life"
I don't think so. I've seen what religion has done to you and I'm not eager to go down that rabbit hole.

"God doesn't hate gays, he was warning them because that's not how their bodies were designed, they could hurt themselves."
And what about all the straight couples who have anal sex? Or those who have some seriously rough sex?

"God doesn't make mistakes."
No mistakes? So down syndrome, sirenomelia, conjoined twins, cyclopia, anencephaly, crohn's disease, progeria, SCID, proteus syndrome, and countless other such mutations were all part of God's plan? Whatever plan involves an infant born without a brain is not one I wish to be part of, tbh.

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Aletheia

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 27, 2015, 10:03:06 AM
eh, i dont think there is a universal answer for the purpise of life...

There is one, but isn't particularly satisfying to sentient creatures such as ourselves.

Life originated from replicators which were a complex arrangement of chemicals that rearranged other molecules in their environment to form a duplicate replicator. To this day, life continues to try to replicate itself, whether in the same "body" or by helping another body with related genes (AKA advanced replicators). That's the meaning of life, faulty replication. Our intelligence, thoughts and emotions are merely a side effect produced by the path of evolution that error-prone replicators took in our ancestry.

I choose to help others around me because it provides a positive effect on my feeling of well being. Yes, altruism is a by-product of our evolution, but I don't mind since it appeals to me on both a logical and emotional level.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Contemporary Protestant

im going to be honest, im annoyed by your response

i am annoyed because it assumes i dont support gay rights, which i do, because ive read important documents about the United States Government and concluded that there is no reason to ban gay marriage

Second, you explained how life came to be

if i say why do i exist, im not asking how i came to be, i understand prenatal development, i asked why not how. i said there is probably no answer to the why, the how questions are answered impeccably by science, but science doesnt explain why im here and what should i do
those questions are answered to me by a guiding force that i call God, others call it a moral compass or a biological drive to be a part of a community. in all honesty i dont much but i know something makes me want to do good and love others even when its hard, im not concerned with defining it because i know its there and i dont want to waste a minute asking questions when i already know what i should do

if i didnt understand your point, please correct me

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on February 27, 2015, 11:44:25 PM

i am annoyed because it assumes i dont support gay rights, which i do, because ive read important documents about the United States Government and concluded that there is no reason to ban gay marriage

if i say why do i exist, im not asking how i came to be, i understand prenatal development, i asked why not how. i said there is probably no answer to the why, the how questions are answered impeccably by science, but science doesnt explain why im here and what should i do
those questions are answered to me by a guiding force that i call God, others call it a moral compass or a biological drive to be a part of a community. in all honesty i dont much but i know something makes me want to do good and love others even when its hard, im not concerned with defining it because i know its there and i dont want to waste a minute asking questions when i already know what i should do

To answer that question: There may not be an answer to "why are we here" or "what is our purpose". If there is, we don't know yet. Religion doesn't really offer much of an answer other than "to get to the afterlife" and even that isn't REALLY an answer to why we are here.

And another question we should be asking, if we are worrying about finding the answer to why we are here is "what if it turns out there isn't a reason?"

Everyone here is going to tell you the same thing, more or less... maybe different ways, but there is no reason for us to be here other than a long process of natural selection that started by an incredibly "lucky" instance of chemical chance (which still isn't a real "purpose").... but in the end, because as we explore the universe it is increasingly alluding to the fact that. There is no "why we are here"; we just are.

Hydra009

"What is my purpose?"
You pass on genes.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

PickelledEggs

trdsf

Stupidest thing I've ever been told by a christian?  Easy.  That the bad things that have happened to me happened because I'm not a christian myself and that god was trying to get my attention by causing them to happen, and that I deserved to have them happen because I don't go to church.

Even worse, the christian that said that to my was my own mother.

Gonna have to go with Stephen Weinberg here: "[F]or good people to do evil things, that takes religion."  I mean, really, how sick do you have to be to say that to your own child?

And she wonders why I won't talk to her anymore.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

"I accidently left my come-along out in the pasture while I was fixing the fence.  When I went back to get it, I looked all over the place, and I couldn't find it.  So I prayed real hard and 6 months later, I found my come-along, right where I left it.  Was this a coincidence?  I think not!"

Munch

Quote from: trdsf on February 28, 2015, 02:06:07 AM
Stupidest thing I've ever been told by a christian?  Easy.  That the bad things that have happened to me happened because I'm not a christian myself and that god was trying to get my attention by causing them to happen, and that I deserved to have them happen because I don't go to church.

Even worse, the christian that said that to my was my own mother.

Gonna have to go with Stephen Weinberg here: "[F]or good people to do evil things, that takes religion."  I mean, really, how sick do you have to be to say that to your own child?

And she wonders why I won't talk to her anymore.

Sorry to hear that about your mom dude. Dealing with the stupidity of theism is one thing, having it come from someone close to you, when your someone who rationalizes the world around you, is the worst.
I wonder if this is why my cousin moved like 300 miles away from home, to get away from her nutball mother.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Atheon

"God is real because it says so in the Bible. And the Bible is the word of god, so it can't be false."
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Munch

Quote from: Atheon on February 28, 2015, 08:02:17 AM
"God is real because it says so in the Bible. And the Bible is the word of god, so it can't be false."

I've often thought, isn't that kind of theistic 'logic' a paradox in of itself?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

the_antithesis

I don't know what was the most ignorant, but that "god-shaped hole in your heart" bollocks was particularly dreadful.

Aletheia

You make a lot of assumptions that I am attacking you directly. I'm not.

If you are a Christian then it is part of your doctrine to at worst kill gays and at best, take the "hate the sin, not the sinner" approach.

Rather than taking my words as a personal affront because you do not agree with them, take a closer look at your religion and if you find that it does not match up with your sense of morality and logic, then discard it in favour of a philosophy that actually fits your world view.

There isn't any evidence in support of a guiding force, in fact, there is no evidence of us having any particularly showy reason for being. Our existence is as trivial as a hunk of space debris to be honest. Your search for a "reason" stems from the fact that our species are pattern seekers which was forged into our DNA by the pressures of evolution. This process is prone to error because sometimes we make assumptions rather than being perfectly honest with ourselves as a way of pacifying our emotional distress.

Your desire to be part of a community stems from behaviours which proved to be beneficial to our species. It feels good to do these things, because our ancestors who derived pleasure or well being from the act had a better chance of survival. We feel angst when there is discord within our family or friends and desire to make amends because it proved evolutionarily beneficial for our species. Tribes with disunity did not survive as well.

It is vital to investigate the source of your motivations and the reason for the incentives. Relying on purely emotional responses offers no guarantee that your choices will produce favourable results for you or those around you. Plenty of Christians "feel" they are doing the right thing - their conviction isn't much different than your own. However, the results of their actions have far-reaching and often devastating consequences for themselves, those around them, and the environment for which we are extremely dependant.

Professing to know what you need to do without taking into consideration why you do these things and stating that you do not want to waste a minute asking questions is a blind path to take. You seek  answers to your questions, but refuse to do proper research. It would be more honest to say that you are not interested in answers but desire to sooth your emotional distress. This is where the appeal of religion and the concept of a "higher power" originates. The questions you initially have either have no answer or the answer is unsatisfactory, so the incentive to fall into a world of delusion becomes much too tempting.

I can appreciate your discomfort, but life is full of harsh realities that we must accept or risk falling into delusion. Reality will affect you whether you choose to notice or not. Why not come to terms with reality as it is? Just because we are not center stage in the universe does not mean we cannot appreciate the view and be content that we are alive. Why is it not grand enough that you are alive?