News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 19, 2021, 05:07:59 PMDoes the Netflix series cover the entire book series? Is this an "inspired by" adaptation?
I've read that there are some pretty significant differences (Dandelion is renamed to Jaskier, Ciri, Yennefer's backstory) but it's mostly faithful to the books and in the same spirit.

QuoteI'm very conflicted about watching Game of Thrones. I didn't like the books but my brother insists the television series is better.
That might've been true during season 3-4, but not after.  The books meander a bit (huge understatement) but they go down some dark and disturbing paths, and it's masterfully done.  The show, not so much.

Mr.Obvious

Finished season 1 of 'kingdom'.
What a fucking beast of a show.
What a way to end season one.
I love the characters, the drama and the unbelievable tension.
Along with 'train to Busan', I believe south Korea has crowned itself king of the zombie genre. Kudos.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

GSOgymrat

We just finished watching the seven-episode PBS Masterpiece series All Creatures Great and Small. The book had a strong influence on me as a child (I lived on an exotic animal farm in my early twenties) and I wanted to check it out. With movie and television studios seemingly in a competition to create the darkest characters and storylines, this comfortable series, with its low-stakes plotting, lush scenery, authentic sets, adorable animals, and collection of empathetic characters is like a walk in fresh air. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed every moment.

https://youtu.be/MZzFjeQFpro

Hydra009

Sweet Home.  Basically, the South Korean Walking Dead, albeit with a unique twist.  I just finished reading the manga (the dialogue is very concise, so it was an incredibly easy read) now I'm moving on to the TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rI56NmD33Y

[spoiler]Edit - I already know what sort of monster I'd be.  And you'd better believe I'd take the deal.  *jumps in the water and transforms into a hydra*  There were no aquatic monsters in the manga.  Terrible oversight.[/spoiler]

Mr.Obvious

Just read a joke about an amazing premise for a TV show.

Namely a show where flat earthers go on a quest to find the edge of the world.
That'd be amazing. I'd watch the shit out of that show  how many seasons could it run for?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 25, 2021, 01:52:02 PM
Just read a joke about an amazing premise for a TV show.

Namely a show where flat earthers go on a quest to find the edge of the world.
That'd be amazing. I'd watch the shit out of that show  how many seasons could it run for?
I'd watch it.

https://www.livescience.com/65053-flat-earther-cruise-antarctica-ice-wall.html

SGOS

WandaVision Episode 8
I kind of felt like 6 and 7 had me wandering around aimlessly.  E8 is the first time, I feel like I've experienced a major reveal.  OK, I kinda/sorta saw this coming in a very general way with episode 4 or 5, but E8 ties things together in a nice package.  I would also describe the episode as powerful.  Does anyone know how many more episodes we should expect?

Blackleaf

[spoiler=WandaVision ep 8 spoilers]So Wanda didn't get her powers from the Mind Stone, but was a naturally gifted witch from the start? Interesting. Wait. Is this the first time she's been referred to as the Scarlet Witch? I assume in the MCU, this name must have special significance. Like maybe she's the this legendary being that gets reincarnated every few thousand years, causes chaos, dies somehow, and then comes back later to start all over again.

Also, there are two Visions now? That can't be good. I doubt SWORD's Vision has any of his old memories, so he's definitely going to go Ultron on them. You'd think they'd know better, but bad guys gonna bad guy.[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Wanda
[spoiler]I'd have to watch The Avengers again, but Wanda got her powers from Nazi experiments. She was called the Scarlet Witch, but I always thought it was a misnomer like "Trump is the Devil."  Not really a witch, but a man made concoction resembling a witch, but that may be splitting hairs if not outright wrong.  The guys with actual comic book expertise can weigh in anytime.  So who's really in charge of the goings on in Westview, Wanda or her close friend, who is a real witch of the fairy tale variety?  I think it's Wanda of course, but I've been surprised too many times in the series so far to bother betting with anyone.[/spoiler]

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on February 27, 2021, 12:56:31 PM
Wanda
[spoiler]I'd have to watch The Avengers again, but Wanda got her powers from Nazi experiments. She was called the Scarlet Witch, but I always thought it was a misnomer like "Trump is the Devil."  Not really a witch, but a man made concoction resembling a witch, but that may be splitting hairs if not outright wrong.  The guys with actual comic book expertise can weigh in anytime.  So who's really in charge of the goings on in Westview, Wanda or her close friend, who is a real witch of the fairy tale variety?  I think it's Wanda of course, but I've been surprised too many times in the series so far to bother betting with anyone.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=WandaVision ep 8]It's my impression that Wanda created the hex after Hayward planted the idea in her head. Agatha doesn't seem to be working for SWORD, but has been following Wanda's career for some time. Seems she was curious how a witch with no training could perform such powerful magic, and now she's convinced that Wanda is this legendary being called the Scarlet Witch. She might think that Wanda is too dangerous to be left alive, or maybe she's planning to hold her children hostage to get something out of her.[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on February 26, 2021, 09:08:49 AMWandaVision Episode 8
I kind of felt like 6 and 7 had me wandering around aimlessly.  E8 is the first time, I feel like I've experienced a major reveal.  OK, I kinda/sorta saw this coming in a very general way with episode 4 or 5, but E8 ties things together in a nice package.  I would also describe the episode as powerful.  Does anyone know how many more episodes we should expect?
I was thinking as I watched it, that the latest episode would get you completely up to speed.  :P  And there is one more episode.

I loved episode 7 for its huge reveal (and surprisingly catchy song).  Episode 8 was mostly a giant recap and didn't do much for me because a lot of that stuff could be easily inferred, but once again, I understand why they did it - to keep more casual viewers from getting lost during the final episode.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 27, 2021, 12:24:41 PM
[spoiler=WandaVision ep 8 spoilers]So Wanda didn't get her powers from the Mind Stone, but was a naturally gifted witch from the start?[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Wanda had some kind of lowlevel witch/mutant powers prior to touching the stone, but that was amplified by the stone and/or whatever being she made contact with in that room[/spoiler]

Quote[spoiler]Also, there are two Visions now? That can't be good. I doubt SWORD's Vision has any of his old memories, so he's definitely going to go Ultron on them. You'd think they'd know better, but bad guys gonna bad guy.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]There are indeed two Visions, a mind without a body and a body without a mind.  If they aren't integrated into a restored Vision (project LASIK, lol) either at the end of this series or in Multiverse of Madness, I'll eat crow pie.

And once again, I have to play Mephisto's advocate for Hayward.  A synthetic being who literally saved all of humanity, and Hayward thinks it's a good idea to bring him back online.  Is that truly villainous?  And it makes sense that he wouldn't want to dump several pounds of vibranium in the ground.  That's an absolutely vital resource.  And besides, you know some villain would just dig him up sooner or later.  Letting Wanda pay her respects in person was actually a decent thing for him to do and as much as he could realistically offer her.

#HaywardDidNothingWrong[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 27, 2021, 01:08:11 PM[spoiler=WandaVision ep 8]It's my impression that Wanda created the hex after Hayward planted the idea in her head. Agatha doesn't seem to be working for SWORD, but has been following Wanda's career for some time. Seems she was curious how a witch with no training could perform such powerful magic, and now she's convinced that Wanda is this legendary being called the Scarlet Witch. She might think that Wanda is too dangerous to be left alive, or maybe she's planning to hold her children hostage to get something out of her.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Agatha is 100% focused on increasing her own power, as her backstory rather bluntly spelled out.  (pun not intended, but not unwelcome)

No arc, just one long straight villainous line.  She is willing to manipulate and/or kill anyone to get what she wants.  She will absolutely try to kill Wanda.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Just finished the TV adaption of Sweet Home.  10/10 beginning, 8/10 middle, 6/10 end

It had an excellent start, but kinda floundered in the middle and lost the plot entirely towards the end.  There was such amazing horror in the source material, and most of it made it to screen, but a lot of it didn't, which is a terrible shame.  The source material tried really hard and succeeded to avoid Hollywood cliches, but it looks as if those were intentionally and spitefully put in the TV version.  And the worst part is that the mind-blowing reveal towards the end - which puts everything in context - was kinda forgotten entirely.  The whole plot kinda falls apart without that.

This series is almost great, which is so much worse than merely being average.

drunkenshoe

I have watched the 9 eps of Raised by the Wolves. I haven't finished it, but it's specifically designed to piss off a certain mass of people. :lol: I also liked the Mother a bit too much, it made me uncomfortable. And that kid... :lol: perfect symbolism. Hat's off to Mr. Ridley Scott.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp