News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Not what I was expecting when I clicked on the video, but this is useful. I'll shelf this information right next to "CPR should be done to the beat of Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees." When Metroid 6 is announced and I want to do my fifth playthrough, I'll remember this.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

A legally distinct "Metroid Maker," so Nintendo can't take it down.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

So...D&D is getting a massive update.  More subclasses, more spells, etc.

Some people are happy about it, some are upset.  Some of the changes appear to be inspired by Balder's Gate 3, which is interesting to me because apparently D&D playtests didn't quite catch some things not working in a satisfying way but millions of users continually doing it in a virtual environment ferreted it out pretty quickly.

It's pretty funny to me that some people are bitterly complaining about some of the changes, like it's an MMO or something.  But the whole thing is just a shared exercise of imagination.  You can always just not do it that way if you want.

I'm currently watching a pretty veteran DM explain how he runs his tables and vast swathes of the books get ignored.  No multiclassing, no feats, rarely roll skill checks, very limited amount of dice-rolling in general.  Basically, if you say you're doing something, and it's plausible that you can do it, you do it successfully without a check.  If you're trying to seduce the dragon, you automatically fail.  Basically, house rules and homebrew galore.  This is a very common approach, albeit most people don't go quite this far.

I've personally encountered some push back to approach.  I was talking to a guy who was aghast at any changes whatsoever, as if the books were delivered from on high and handed by some watery tart clad in the purest shimmering samite.  "Are you a game developer?!" No... that's why I'm not developing a game from scratch and publishing it for a living.  That's what game developers do.  I'm enjoying a game, which has much, much lower requirements.  Basically, I look at it like this: if you're walking down the street and see a big hole in the middle of the sidewalk, do you blindly fall into the hole?  Or do you engage your brain and plot a course around it?  It's not a difficult decision.

Long story short: Lizardmen can swallow a medium or smaller humanoid as a bonus action now.  Canon.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 03, 2024, 05:07:00 PM...You can always just not do it that way if you want.

That's dead now.

Hydra009

Looks good and it fills the vigilante-8 hole in my heart, though I want to see actual gameplay before I commit.

That said, the red ones are indeed fasta.

Hydra009

Bethesda has unionized

Hopefully, the potential boost to the actual workers making the games will help the company going forward.  I'll definitely keep this in mind when they come out with a new Fallout or Elder Scrolls title, but just as workers deserve proper pay and benefits, players deserve a proper game.  No rush, but the time gap between Morrowind and Oblivion was about 4 years, Oblivion and Skyrim was about 5 and a half years, and the gap between Skyrim and present is 12 and a half years.  No rush.

Blackleaf

Why couldn't they at least give us more DLC to tide us over? I thought for sure they'd do that when they released the improved version of Skyrim on PS4, XBOX One, and PC. But nope. All we got were overpriced microtransactions, most of which I wouldn't even download if they were free.
--Fulke Greville--

Sorginak

I've been obsessed with playing Baldur's Gate III, clocked in more than a thousand hours, but I've yet to actually finish the game.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Sorginak on July 22, 2024, 08:26:00 PMI've been obsessed with playing Baldur's Gate III, clocked in more than a thousand hours, but I've yet to actually finish the game.

I really want to finish that game, but I feel kind of overwhelmed by it. It's so much.

Currently, I'm still playing through FFVII Rebirth. Once I'm done with that, I'll probably go back to it. I already have an idea for a character for an evil playthrough. If you're interested, maybe we can try multiplayer? I tried convincing my brother to do it, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

How am I just now learning about this???
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Humble Bundle reportedly laid off its entire staff

I hope you guys got your fill of heavily discounted bundles, because layoffs might put that out of commission.