News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I watched the first episode of Next Generation last night.  I always realized it had better production values and often times more interesting situations, but I would always protest, "No, No, this isn't real.  There is no Kirk, Spock, Scottie, or Bones."  Watching the two efforts basically side by side, they are worlds apart, and the difference in quality puts the original to shame, but I still find having a Klingon on the bridge to be greatly disturbing.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on February 16, 2021, 05:28:30 AMbut I still find having a Klingon on the bridge to be greatly disturbing.
How so?  It's in Starfleet's nature to seek peace and alliances.  (That's how they assimilate.)  Naturally, they're going to recruit from former adversaries.

What would be really disturbing is a perpetual enemy, because that implies that the Federation's ideals of peaceful coexistence and mutual understanding are flawed.

SGOS

I'm not a bigot. I actually like Klingons, but they are not human, and when they go berserk, they are really awful. 

Hydra009

That's why you stand behind them when they go beserk.  :P

If you haven't already, you should check out the Klingon-centric episodes in Deep Space 9's Dominion War arc.  The season 5 premier through season 6.  The Klingons are a marvel to behold in some of those battles.  They're not as ...clinical... as Starfleet, but they make up for it with fierce counter-attacks and strong resolve.

They have a rather brutish culture, but it makes a strange sort of sense.  They respect strength and plain-talk above all else, so Federation decorum and saccharine nicety is offputting, borderline insulting to Klingons.  Instead, all you really have to do to win them over is project strength and walk the walk.  And underneath the warrior culture, they're like anyone else - do them a favor and they'll do you a favor.

I actually really like them because they know what they want and are willing to fight for it.  Very straightforward, purposeful people.  It's the Romulans and Cardassians you have to watch out for.

Mr.Obvious

watched the first episode of 'kingdom'.
I think I'm gonna really like this show.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

I mostly missed Deep Space 9. I'm not sure why.  I knew it was out there, but must have been in a part of my life, where TV played a smaller part.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on February 17, 2021, 07:03:28 AMI mostly missed Deep Space 9. I'm not sure why.  I knew it was out there, but must have been in a part of my life, where TV played a smaller part.
That explains it.  DS9 did a lot to rehabilitate the image of the Klingons (and Ferengi).

Shiranu

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 16, 2021, 07:17:01 PM
watched the first episode of 'kingdom'.
I think I'm gonna really like this show.

I don't think I've watched the last season, but I really enjoyed it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

I would like your post shiranu.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Blackleaf

[spoiler=WandaVision ep 7 spoilers]Wow. Uh, interesting. I was suspicious of Agnes ever since she broke character to ask if she should do it over again, but when Vision touched her head and she seemed to be broken from Wanda's spell, I thought that put that idea to bed. Then she comes out of nowhere to take Wanda away from Monica, and immediately, she seems suspicious again. Wanda notices her kids are missing, even though they're supposed to be at Agnes' house. Are they even real? She finds a secret dungeon under the house, and surprise! Agnes the secret villain, Agatha Harkness.

Also, it seems I was right about the secret plan to resurrect Vision. I'm not sure if Vision is ever going to be able to survive outside of the hex, but maybe with enough time, he'll become stable enough. If Agatha is in control, is she the one trying to keep Vision away, rather than Wanda?

Now I'm wondering who this Agatha person is. Where did she come from? Where did she get her powers? Does she work for SWORD, or does she have her own agenda? If I had to guess, I'd say she is a SWORD experiment, made to replicate the experiments of Hydra that created Scarlet Witch. But hold on, there is no mind stone anymore, so what could they use to replicate Hydra's work? Maybe Wanda herself? Maybe she struck a deal with Hayward, to lend some of her power in exchange for an opportunity to bring Vision back, and her memory of the event was wiped? She doesn't recall events leading up to Westview's creation, so maybe.

Oh, and there's an after-credits scene, so make sure you don't tune out when the credits start. Also, almost forgot to mention, Monica seems to have superpowers now, after having passed through the barrier three times. Wonder what her powers are. I'm unaware of if her character exists in the comics, or if she becomes a superhero.[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

I thought new episodes came on Friday.  Not complaining, you understand.  I'm down for this.

Gawdzilla Sama

Just watched the first epi of Witcher. Does it go on like, drop off, or get better?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 19, 2021, 02:27:29 PMJust watched the first epi of Witcher. Does it go on like, drop off, or get better?
It gets better.  The first few episodes were a pretty rough introduction for newbies like me.  But things start making sense after a few episodes.  And the last couple episodes were great, imo.  Solid 8/10 imo.

Still, the series has quite a few flaws.  The main cast is great, but the secondary cast is kinda lackluster.  Some episodes have weird resolutions and wonky internal logic.  Some of the armor looks downright awful (you'll know it when you see it).  The villains verge on "evil for the sake of evil" territory.  And how the magical system works is still unclear.

Some of the reviews were unintentionally hilarious:  "I wouldn't say it's the Game of Thrones killer Netflix were wishing for, but The Witcher is still worth a watch."  LOL, they needn't worry about competing with GoT...

GSOgymrat

I'm waiting until I read the Witcher series before watching the Netflix version. I've read five of the eight books. Does the Netflix series cover the entire book series? Is this an "inspired by" adaptation?

I'm very conflicted about watching Game of Thrones. I didn't like the books but my brother insists the television series is better.

Hydra009

Looking back, there's a lot of small details that bug me:

It's bright and sunny outside and the town bar is dark inside.  They have windows, so what gives?  Even worse, this strangely enduring darkness is feebly combated with lit candles spread all over the place (wasteful and a huge fire hazard) - even a wooden chandelier that can't be more than 6ft from the floor.  I hope the drunkards duck!  And why is the bar filled with people anyway?  It's midday!  Are they day drunks?  Don't they have farms to tend?

*camera pans out to walled city with exactly zero farms anywhere*  Okay, I guess not.

Then, at the "shindig", I have to put on subtitles because 90% of the lines are said in this annoying whisper-talk way that makes them both incomprehensible and conspicuous.

*edit - they do the "candles at daytime" thing again at the castle.  Once again, they have windows.  Makes zero sense.