News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorginak

Going to finally check out Young Wallander (even though I've never seen the original)
QuoteFollow recently graduated police officer Kurt Wallander as he investigates his first case.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 19, 2022, 12:53:39 AMI binged The Book of Boba Fett today. I don't see why people didn't like it. I thought it was fine. Maybe it didn't live up to the high standards of The Mandalorian, but it wasn't an incoherent mess like Obi-Wan.

Was it the colorful biker gang who looked like they belonged in Cyberpunk? It was the biker gang, wasn't it?
I'm just happy Boba got some fleshing out.

A lot of people weren't happy because they pictured Boba as some cocky badass who followed no rules and took no prisoners.  But that's old Boba. Obviously, getting stuck in a Sarlaac's gut and the fall of the empire changes you.

Instead, we get this quest for belonging that starts with the sand people (also largely undeveloped and got some nice fleshing out as well) and just kinda....well, I don't know what happens with that.  Would have been a nice arc.

And we got those scheming, dastardly Hutt who want Boba's head and then they just leave.  That was...a thing.

Then we get Mando season 2.5 and barely any Boba in the Boba Fett show.

Then we get the showdown with the badass Pyke Syndicate and those action scenes are pretty well done, it's just that character shields prevent anyone - even extras - from getting hurt, which kinda takes a lot of the menace out of them.

And last but not least, there's the cyberpunk power rangers.  On a rustic world famous for its lack of industry, where most people are moisture farmers or nomads or scummy mercs.  Poor people who can't find jobs yet also sport amazing prosthetics and shiny albeit slow-moving hover Vespas really makes a lot of sense here.

All in all, it was interesting.  Was it a satisfying story?  Maybe.  Was it a story?  Also maybe.  Did it have fun characters we like?  Some of the time.  Did it have explosions?  Also, yes.  So bam, it hit all the beats that it needed to, I guess.

Blackleaf

Boba didn't really have character in the original movies. He's just a silent bounty hunter who captures Han, then quickly gets taken out. I thought they justified his change in behavior pretty well.

I thought it was kind of funny that when he found someone left for dead, it was apparently easier for him to bring her to a body mod shop than a doctor. lol

Also, the final scene, with the reveal of who's in the Bacta tank...are they implying you can take any fresh corpse and heal them back to life? That was a little odd, especially since I felt that character had served his purpose already.

It was odd when Din Djarin showed up and kinda stole the show. It made sense Boba would go to him when he needed hired muscle, but he had a few episodes to himself, with no Boba. They were good episodes, though.

But...the choice Luke gives Grogu seems kinda hypocritical. Are we supposed to think that Luke learned nothing from the failures of the Jedi Order before him? Wasn't it his attachment to his father, and his father's attachment to him, which saved the universe from Sidious? I'm hoping Luke will show up later and say that he was just testing Grogu, and that he believed some real life training would be more helpful. He saw Grogu's heart wasn't in it when Grogu was separated from Din, and Grogu's powers did immediately improve once he was reunited with his friend.

After all, when Luke was made to chose his friends or his training with Yoda, he chose his friends, and look at him now. Luke was lied to about his father, and was told to give up on Anakin once he learned the truth. He didn't listen, and he redeemed Anakin. So if Luke really wanted Grogu to abandon attachments, that's really out of character for him. In the next season of The Mandalorian, I want him to show up, present Grogu with a lightsaber, and tell him his training is complete.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 19, 2022, 11:23:06 AMBoba didn't really have character in the original movies. He's just a silent bounty hunter who captures Han, then quickly gets taken out. I thought they justified his change in behavior pretty well.
No dialogue, but you can surmise a few things about him:

1) top-tier bountyhunter
2) prone to disintegrating his target
3) hates Han Solo
4) calm and collected even in stressful situations (thermal detonator situation in Fabba's throne room)

Sorginak

Checking out Night Sky
QuoteFollows Franklin and Irene York, a couple who years ago discovered a chamber buried in their backyard which inexplicably leads to a strange, deserted planet.

Sorginak

Season two of The Wilds.

Sorginak

I liked the first season of Upload, so I'm checking out season two.

Sorginak

The Lake
QuoteJustin returns from living abroad in the hope of reconnecting with the biological daughter that he gave up for adoption. His plans go awry when he finds out his father left the family cottage to his stepsister.

Sorginak

Subscribed to HBO Max

Visitors
QuoteThis is Richard's first day on the police force. At nightfall, two strange lights collide in the sky.

Sorginak

It's A Sin
QuoteA chronicle of four friends during a decade in which everything changed, including the rise of AIDS.

Sorginak

Been forever wanting to watch this, and now I can.

Titans
QuoteA team of young superheroes combat evil and other perils.

Hydra009

Watching Westworld season 4 and I don't even know if I like it anymore.

Westworld season 1 was a scifi masterpiece - a multi-layered tale of base human nature, whether or not androids dream of electric sheep, and smart metacommentary on how to write fiction.

Westworld season 2 was a bit...odd, but serviceable.

Westworld season 3 had - and still does - amazing potential.  Definitely had a Merovingian vibe to it, if you know what I mean.

Westworld season 4 has a rather straightfoward story of world conquest with very little surprising or interesting about it.  It might as well be a Marvel TV show minus the character development.  I know it's kind of a homage to Future World (the 1976 one), but I can't help but feel disappointed.

For a show that built its reputation on asking big questions, it sure has veered away from that into tired and cliched save-the-world storytelling.  Not even Lee Sizemore would put his name to some of these episodes.

Sorginak

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 23, 2022, 11:21:55 AMWatching Westworld season 4 and I don't even know if I like it anymore.

Westworld season 1 was a scifi masterpiece - a multi-layered tale of base human nature, whether or not androids dream of electric sheep, and smart metacommentary on how to write fiction.

Westworld season 2 was a bit...odd, but serviceable.

Westworld season 3 had - and still does - amazing potential.  Definitely had a Merovingian vibe to it, if you know what I mean.

Westworld season 4 has a rather straightfoward story of world conquest with very little surprising or interesting about it.  It might as well be a Marvel TV show minus the character development.  I know it's kind of a homage to Future World (the 1976 one), but I can't help but feel disappointed.

For a show that built its reputation on asking big questions, it sure has veered away from that into tired and cliched save-the-world storytelling.  Not even Lee Sizemore would put his name to some of these episodes.

That's one show I was thinking of trying to watch again. Didn't much care for it when I first saw it years ago.

Hydra009

If you didn't like season 1, you definitely won't like any of the subsequent seasons.

I can understand if you don't care for the story, but that first season had phenomenal acting, sets, pacing, cinematophraphy, music, etc. 

Everything was firing on all cyclinders.  It even had a couple major revelations that were hinted at early on, so it rewarded susbequent rewatches and a keen eye for detail.

That's the kind of stuff that elevates a series from good to a relentless $*#@ing experience!

(On second thought, it actually did have a couple of small plotlines that went nowhere)

Sorginak

It was nominated for awards, so I am going to check it out:

The White Lotus
QuoteSet in a tropical resort, it follows the exploits of various guests and employees over the span of a week.