Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

It's true though. I know how Taylor Swift looks like and what she does. I know that in social media, people talk about how her songs and her relationships are related. And masses of people listen to her. But I don't know her voice, I don't know one song of hers. Highly likely, I have heard her songs many times. I must have heard one, right? But I don't know of her music. Same thing goes for Beyoncé and that Adele woman. I bet most of you are in the same situation.

But until 20 years ago, we knew the pop singers voices and songs even we didn't actually, specifically listen that kind of music. And there was far less media. I mean, maybe too high examples for the genre, but before, death metal fans knew Madonna's or Micheal Jackson's songs. Forget that, I have pop songs in my memory to the word coming from the time before I was born with no information of the artist. Some from my childhood that only stayed in lists a few weeks. Songs, people around a table can sing aloud together without the any information about the band.

I find that interesting. I don't think these people will last that long when the stop making something. Do they have 'old songs' in their own range, for example?

People say there are different reasons for all this from the current social media to the new culture, that before there was a few source before everyone's eyes...etc. but I think the main reason is simple. Songs are just bad. They all sound like each other. I mean by bad, they do not make you hear them, remain in your head. It could be a silly song, but you'd love it no matter of what, and want to sing along. Nope. Zilch, nada.   

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cassia

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 01, 2023, 01:42:58 AMIt's true though. I know how Taylor Swift looks like and what she does. I know that in social media, people talk about how her songs and her relationships are related. And masses of people listen to her. But I don't know her voice, I don't know one song of hers. Highly likely, I have heard her songs many times. I must have heard one, right? But I don't know of her music. Same thing goes for Beyoncé and that Adele woman. I bet most of you are in the same situation.

But until 20 years ago, we knew the pop singers voices and songs even we didn't actually, specifically listen that kind of music. And there was far less media. I mean, maybe too high examples for the genre, but before, death metal fans knew Madonna's or Micheal Jackson's songs. Forget that, I have pop songs in my memory to the word coming from the time before I was born with no information of the artist. Some from my childhood that only stayed in lists a few weeks. Songs, people around a table can sing aloud together without the any information about the band.

I find that interesting. I don't think these people will last that long when the stop making something. Do they have 'old songs' in their own range, for example?

People say there are different reasons for all this from the current social media to the new culture, that before there was a few source before everyone's eyes...etc. but I think the main reason is simple. Songs are just bad. They all sound like each other. I mean by bad, they do not make you hear them, remain in your head. It could be a silly song, but you'd love it no matter of what, and want to sing along. Nope. Zilch, nada.   

This is very true for me. With a few exceptions, I could not ID the top 40 song of the last 20 years. This music lacks depth, key changes, alternate timings, great instrumentals, and any sort of intellectual lyrics. I even think the so-called "dancing" (ass shaking) is very visually boring.

Unbeliever

I've reached my limit of free articles. 🙈🙉🙊
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

the_antithesis

Pop has always been shit.

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 01, 2023, 11:39:59 AMI've reached my limit of free articles. 🙈🙉🙊
Damn, me too.  I was able to read it once, then got paywalled when checking it as a reaction to your post.  I found a work-around, though.  If you're fast, you can simply tell the browser to stop loading the page before it's fully loaded.  Not the best solution, but a quick-and-dirty solution.

Basically, the TL;DR: is that newer songs are shorter and built around short "hooks" (and therefore, more repetitive)

Blackleaf

Funny. I often like songs that the collective has decided to hate. They say it's "fluff" music. But I listen to the music that's popular today, and I'm like, "Do you people just hate melodies?" That's what it seems like. Their music is full of fake drums, fake instruments in general. And not like in a Depeche Mode kind of way. It's not doing stuff that real instruments can't. It's just lifeless. And the singers slur their words so much I can't understand a damn word they're singing. What do they like about modern music? I struggle to even find a hook most of the time.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 01, 2023, 02:10:23 PMFunny. I often like songs that the collective has decided to hate. They say it's "fluff" music. But I listen to the music that's popular today, and I'm like, "Do you people just hate melodies?" That's what it seems like. Their music is full of fake drums, fake instruments in general. And not like in a Depeche Mode kind of way. It's not doing stuff that real instruments can't. It's just lifeless. And the singers slur their words so much I can't understand a damn word they're singing. What do they like about modern music? I struggle to even find a hook most of the time.
Amen!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: the_antithesis on May 29, 2023, 09:21:09 PMI know, right? Who's he?
He works at the "Five Minutes or It's Free" tailor shop.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

I'm like Dr. Johnny Fever, stuck in the music of past decades. 🎵🎶🎼
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

the_antithesis

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 01, 2023, 11:05:37 PMI'm like Dr. Johnny Fever, stuck in the music of past decades. 🎵🎶🎼

I can name that tune in one note.

drunkenshoe

But that's the thing.
Quote from: the_antithesis on June 01, 2023, 12:13:35 PMPop has always been shit. ...

That's the thing though. You remember the old shit because even that's the failure of something. Even when it is shit, it can have a place, you can react to it, I dunno, you'd remember it just because it reflects some part of the pop culture, a point of view...you name it. These don't, probably can't.

The interesting part is that I'm curious about how the young generations will relate to it in the future when they're old. I mean what kind of a nostalgia through they will relate. Does it work the same with other generations? Is nostalgia a universally personal cup of feeling independent from its object?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Hydra009

Omg, the 90s were amazing.  Everyone had SNES and Sega Genesis and huge CD collections and wore flannel and bright colors...well, not me but some people did.  Oh, and the "no-smoking" sections at restaurants, where you're basically eating next to a smoker, but it's okay because they're doing their thing like 5 feet away and smoke doesn't travel more than a couple feet.