News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A Fond Farewell....

Started by Casparov, June 01, 2014, 12:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Casparov

I am going to leave this forum and never return, but before I do, I want to make sure nothing was left unsaid. If you have any questions or comments to make to me, make them now or forever hold your peace.

If there is anyone who still wants to attempt to convert me into an Atheist, I admit that I am open to that happening. For me, it would require that Materialism/Realism/Physicalism be true about the reality we exist in. I have absolutely zero convincing reasons to conclude that this is so however, and this represents the entire reason why I am currently not an Atheist. If you know something that I don't, please enlighten me before I go.

Immaterialism (or Idealism) is at least as likely as Materialism. If you need an explanation of why this is so just ask Berati to explain it for you. If you claim that Materialism is more likely, or more justified, or is a conclusion based on evidence, or has been conclusively proven, or is an unquestionable axiom that is the Truth by default, I currently disagree but am open to being persuaded.

And to all of you who just don't give a fuck, thank you for inviting me into your forum and allowing me to articulate a dissenting viewpoint.

The Friendliest Ghost,
CASPAROV
“The Fanatical Atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures whoâ€"in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"â€"cannot hear the music of other spheres.” - Albert Einstein

Hijiri Byakuren

I didn't have many interactions with you, so I'll just sit back and watch the show if you don't mind.

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

QuoteAnd to all of you who just don't give a fuck, thank you for inviting me into your forum and allowing me to articulate a dissenting viewpoint.

A. Nobody "invited" you to come on the forum.

B. You are the one who insisted on trying to prove there is a god.

C. And it is incomprehensible shit like this that has caused me to put you on ignore for 2 days.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Casparov on June 01, 2014, 12:44:26 AM
I am going to leave this forum and never return, but before I do, I want to make sure nothing was left unsaid.
Oh my!  Things left unsaid?  Just recite a few lines of the "mouse ran up the clock" poem before you go, and we'll call it good.

aileron

Don't let the virtual door hit you on your virtual ass on the way out.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Moralnihilist

Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

Mermaid

Why would anyone want to convert you to atheist? To be perfectly frank, I don't give a shit what you believe as long as you leave me out of it.

I am guessing you would far rather convert me to Christianity.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Irrational

I am going to leave this forum and never return, but before I do, I want to make sure nothing was left unsaid. If you have any questions or comments to make to me, make them now or forever hold your peace.

If there is anyone who still wants to attempt to convert me into an Atheist, I admit that I am open to that happening. For me, it would require that Materialism/Realism/Physicalism be true about the reality we exist in. I have absolutely zero convincing reasons to conclude that this is so however, and this represents the entire reason why I am currently not an Atheist. If you know something that I don't, please enlighten me before I go.

Immaterialism (or Idealism) is at least as likely as Materialism. If you need an explanation of why this is so just ask Berati to explain it for you. If you claim that Materialism is more likely, or more justified, or is a conclusion based on evidence, or has been conclusively proven, or is an unquestionable axiom that is the Truth by default, I currently disagree but am open to being persuaded.

And to all of you who just don't give a fuck, thank you for inviting me into your forum and allowing me to articulate a dissenting viewpoint.

The Friendliest Ghost,
CASPAROV

Are you sure you're open to what the evidence tells you? Because it sounds like you're going beyond evidence and trusting in things you have no evidence for. That's what immaterialism is about, right?

Solitary

Have fun in LA LA Land! But before you go read this until you realize you can't answer this with idealism and the splitting of mind and body.

Quotehttp://www.democraticunderground.com/1218107147 Are mood altering chemicals magical?

I ask because it seems obvious to me that some people actually think emotions are magic, or come from something immaterial(magical, supernatural, whatever) outside the human brain. My question is in the subject line, wouldn't that make certain chemicals and drugs able to affect the supernatural?

Conversely, how come they are the things that most reliably works, rather than others, like prayer, that don't?

I find myself particularly sensitive to this issue having personal experience with many people that have a variety of, I prefer to call them brain disorders, or diseases. People have a tendency of dismissing mental disorders and diseases as not real, so I prefer to call them what they are because of the organ they affect, seems obvious.

My mom was bi-polar, and the response from much of her family, particularly her parents, is basically that prayer should cure it, but they were "old school" and frankly in denial. It was interesting growing up and having to NOT explain to them why mom had to go away for 2 weeks(in the hospital, to get leveled out), because "they didn't want to hear it". I will say, my Dad though, he was a fucking trooper, and still is, even after mom passed, he dedicated his life to her and us kids, he supported her, unconditionally, despite how she acted sometimes. I will say the drugs got a LOT better by the mid 90s. Her last ten years, she was stable and happy, that's all you can ask for, thank goodness for science.

My best friend has had OCD so bad that she wouldn't leave the bathroom for hours. It was self-focused attention, she would redo her makeup, over and over again, until it was perfect, and many times, it never was, and she would refuse to be seen, by anybody. Thanks to therapy and medication, she's a lot better, and now she's engaged to a wonderful woman who really cares about her and understands her.

My own fiancee is bi-polar, and for a while she was on the wrong set of medications for her, they were so bad that she was unmotivated to even leave bed, she was so depressed, had anxiety so bad, she'd vomit from having a nervous stomach, and would refuse to even interact with others. We switched her to a new doctor, who prescribed her new medications, and it was like turning a switch, all of the sudden, she was herself again, and now she's happy and stable.

The reason I mention this should be obvious, where is the evidence that emotions come from a deity, or the supernatural? I will say that science, particularly neuroscience, hasn't found all the answers yet, but that's the point, isn't it? Should they stop looking where it seems the things are produced, the brain?

If there is a non-material, supernatural aspect to ourselves, our moods, our emotions, our consciousness, it seems to rely on the brain to work on our bodies, basically this "aspect" behaves as if it wasn't there, so, unless there is compelling evidence for its existence, the best assumption to make, particularly from a medical and scientific perspective is to assume it doesn't exist at all.

A further question, for those who believe there's an immaterial aspect to our minds, what do you think are the causes of disorders such as bi-polar, clinical depression, schizophrenia, OCD, ADD, etc.?

You are using top down thinking from God's mind to your mind, when it is just the opposite, but if you prefer you are in the mind of God as well as everything else, consider this: Where is heaven and hell? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Irrational

Furthermore, even if we all exist in God's mind, how can we know that?

Occam's razor rules out all unnecessary explanations. And immaterialism sounds like one of them.

Green Bottle

The Friendliest Ghost,
CASPAROV

Iv'e read some bullshite in my time but this takes the bullshite top award, ur leaving (or maybe ur not really ) and this is just another attention seeking exercise.
You may not post anymore but u wont leave this site, you know it and we all know it too...
Lurk Lurk Lurk... :fU:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

SGOS