Sins of Child Sexual Abuse and the Gays

Started by Dreamer, February 27, 2023, 11:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: aitm on March 21, 2023, 04:01:01 PMPoor ole omnipotent god. Full of love, but kills everyone because he won't show them his love. Kinda like being the greatest baker in the universe...tells everyone his bread is da bomb, but won't supply any to anyone, then kills them all for not believing it. On the bright side, no one will confuse you for someone who has rational thought.

Unless I'm mistaken, Dreamer doesn't believe that unbelievers automatically go to Hell, simply for not picking the right religion.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

Quite a lot of people don't get to pick a religion but have a religion imposed on them by their parents/guardians/community and are badly mistreated if they don't go along with it.
But many theists do believe that anyone who does not believe in their particular brand of crazy are indeed hell-bound because their God is very jealous.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aitm

Picking no god is infinitely safer than picking the wrong one.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Dreamer

Quote from: aitm on March 21, 2023, 04:01:01 PMOn the bright side, no one will confuse you for someone who has rational thought.

This, my friend, is quite a relief to me. Thanks!
<br /><br />Individually, we are one drop.  Together, we are an ocean.<br /><br />

Dreamer

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 22, 2023, 01:57:07 AMUnless I'm mistaken, Dreamer doesn't believe that unbelievers automatically go to Hell, simply for not picking the right religion.

Indeed I do not, and I'm Biblically supported ...

"God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him." - 1 John 4:15-16

"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. - Matthew 7:21

Popular Christian culture is prone to self-righteous and self-serving dogmas that rarely align with Scriptures. Toss in a dose of schadenfreude, and you find people delighting in the idea of eternal punishment for those who aren't like them... People thirst for justice, and, to many, it appears that the idea of eternal damnation will quench them,..
<br /><br />Individually, we are one drop.  Together, we are an ocean.<br /><br />

Dreamer

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 22, 2023, 11:29:57 AMQuite a lot of people don't get to pick a religion but have a religion imposed on them by their parents/guardians/community and are badly mistreated if they don't go along with it.
But many theists do believe that anyone who does not believe in their particular brand of crazy are indeed hell-bound because their God is very jealous.

Theists are first and foremost fallible people. It's the theists who deny that fact who are the most dangerous, and more apt to sprinkle condemnation on everyone around them.

It is a tantalizing idea, that the score could be evened, the wrongs done against you revenged...

I think it's more about Jesus" final pleas with God, to forgive the people murdering him because they didn't know what they were doing. I think that one day the people who have harmed me, will come to know what they have done, and they will need to grapple with the weight of violations. This seems to me most likely a thing of fancy more than a spiritual truth, but it does stem from Jesus' prayer of forgiveness for the truly ignorant.

If we really knew that we were hurting ourselves when we harm another, we wouldn't be so cavalier. And we'd probably not do it at all...

Dreamer

Quote from: aitm on March 23, 2023, 08:30:09 AMPicking no god is infinitely safer than picking the wrong one.

Loviatar the Goddess of Death, Pain, and Disease seems a peach...

Safety has never seemed much attainable to me and easily taken away...

Blackleaf

Quote from: Dreamer on March 28, 2023, 11:48:05 PMIndeed I do not, and I'm Biblically supported ...

"God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him." - 1 John 4:15-16

"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. - Matthew 7:21

Popular Christian culture is prone to self-righteous and self-serving dogmas that rarely align with Scriptures. Toss in a dose of schadenfreude, and you find people delighting in the idea of eternal punishment for those who aren't like them... People thirst for justice, and, to many, it appears that the idea of eternal damnation will quench them,..

There are verses which say salvation is based on faith alone, and there are others that say good works are required. It all depends on which verses you choose to cherry-pick.

I will agree with you that there is no egotism like Christian humbleness, however. Look at me. I am so humble. I'm just a sinner saved by grace. I once was blind, but now I see, unlike the rest of you idiots. Everything is backwards. Hate is love, lies are truth, oppression is freedom. They literally live in a backwards reality where their pastor can tell them anything is good or evil, and they'll bend over backwards to explain how Biblical slavery actually wasn't that bad.
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Dreamer on March 28, 2023, 11:48:05 PMIndeed I do not, and I'm Biblically supported ...

Supporting a position by quoting the Bible in an atheist forum. What's wrong with this picture?

aitm

Funny how xians, many of them blame Jews for killing jebus, oddly unaware that without that action the whole of their religion would not exist.
Jebus wasn't sacrificed, ffs he got upgraded from a smelly liberal desert wanderer to a god. Seems like a pretty good deal.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Jesus is just the son of God. He is just a fictional secondary distraction for those of us who are still looking for evidence of the creator of all things.  I don't know what all the fuss is about Jesus.  Go directly to the source, if it exists at all, and then write a real Bible using the actual facts.

Blackleaf

Quote from: aitm on March 29, 2023, 07:02:35 AMFunny how xians, many of them blame Jews for killing jebus, oddly unaware that without that action the whole of their religion would not exist.
Jebus wasn't sacrificed, ffs he got upgraded from a smelly liberal desert wanderer to a god. Seems like a pretty good deal.

The earliest Gospel, Mark, doesn't even seem to imply that Jesus is the Son of God. It doesn't mention the miraculous virgin birth, it has very few miracles, and Jesus never claims (and actually contradicts the idea) that he was the Son of God.

"Why do you call me good? There are none who are good except God."

Mark's Jesus dies on the cross, confused about why God was allowing him to go through such suffering. A far cry from the Super Jesus of later Gospels.

The idea that Jesus was a sacrifice doesn't even make sense. A sacrifice was made from people to God, giving up something of worth as a form of repentance. Who offered up Jesus as a sacrifice? Umm... God? Who was he offered to? Uhh... God? How does that make any sense? Was God repenting to himself? It's nonsense.
--Fulke Greville--

Dreamer

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 29, 2023, 02:06:15 AMThere are verses which say salvation is based on faith alone, and there are others that say good works are required. It all depends on which verses you choose to cherry-pick.

I will agree with you that there is no egotism like Christian humbleness, however. Look at me. I am so humble. I'm just a sinner saved by grace. I once was blind, but now I see, unlike the rest of you idiots. Everything is backwards. Hate is love, lies are truth, oppression is freedom. They literally live in a backwards reality where their pastor can tell them anything is good or evil, and they'll bend over backwards to explain how Biblical slavery actually wasn't that bad.

You're right that there are Christians who do that. That is the church I was raised in for my early years.

My backwoods Southern Baptist church taught me many awful things, in opposition to how we're instructed to live our lives and interpret the Bible (that is, everything rests upon loving God and loving others, as repeatedly referenced).

The mark of Cain, who murdered his brother and was banished? I was taught that was why there are black people!

Christianity is not an easy path because we're called to love with all our hearts, minds, and souls. Anyone sowing seeds of pain is not in line with following God. Dogmatic thinking will consistently impede good works.

However, I do not know what verses you reference about good works being required. I can think of about a dozen verses that say how no one can earn by good works-that day the exact opposite of what you said. If good works were required, then Jesus would not have forgiven the murderer hanging beside him.

Dreamer

Quote from: SGOS on March 29, 2023, 06:56:45 AMSupporting a position by quoting the Bible in an atheist forum. What's wrong with this picture?

You inspired me to make a present, which I now give you here in the Christianity forum:

Dreamer

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 29, 2023, 01:40:27 PMMark's Jesus dies on the cross, confused about why God was allowing him to go through such suffering. A far cry from the Super Jesus of later Gospels.

What makes you think Jesus was confused?

As far as Jesus asking the man why he called Jesus good, this calls the man to consider what is good, who Jesus is, and what the man should do with his answers. That is, while I cannot and do not outright dismiss your interpretation, that is far from the only possibility. It seems more in line with Jesus' tendency to use questions when teaching.