News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nonsensei

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 25, 2016, 11:09:57 AM
FO 4 has pushed Skyrim to the sidelines.  For now, anyway.  But when I run Skyrim, it is with between 50/60 mods.  This time, I will be doing your approach.  I will start with one mod--the alternate start mod.  Then add as I go. 

Live another life is a good one. I think you can start with a couple more though without any harm. A mod that revamps the skill tree is a good one. I personally want to try out the mod that replaces the current leveling system with an xp system. Something like that plus a mod that improves crafting and you should be all set.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Hydra009

Anything on G.E.M.S. is great as far as I've concerned.  I particularly like T3nd0s Skyrim Redone.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Nonsensei on January 25, 2016, 06:36:48 PM
Live another life is a good one. I think you can start with a couple more though without any harm. A mod that revamps the skill tree is a good one. I personally want to try out the mod that replaces the current leveling system with an xp system. Something like that plus a mod that improves crafting and you should be all set.
Yeah, I use the Live Another Life game starter.  Have gotten tired of watching that guys head get chopped off.............:)  I also use some mods that tweak the enchantment and blacksmith trees--and the archery one as well.  My must have is Sofia--I love her wisecracks and oddball statements--and she does a good job of staying out of the way.  What mod replaces the leveling system??
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 25, 2016, 07:39:24 PM
Anything on G.E.M.S. is great as far as I've concerned.  I particularly like T3nd0s Skyrim Redone.
Wow, Hydra, I had not seen the GEMS site!  I'll have to check that out!  Why do you like T3ndOs Skyrim Redone?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 25, 2016, 08:22:01 PMWhy do you like T3ndOs Skyrim Redone?
It completely reworks the perk system, which had lots of pointless perks.  This mod changes that.  For example, lockpicking has been merged with pickpocketing and the empty slot is used for the wayfarer tree - it levels up as you explore the world and changes how wild animals interact with you.  Shouts level up speech and speech perks boost shouts.  One-handed got a massive overhaul, the new perks allow for specialization with specific weapons - scimitars, maces, longswords, axes, etc.

Additionally, there are optional modules - changes to the races, standing stones, combat, enemy scaling/AI , etc.  There's even a survivalism mode meant to synergize with Frostfall (the mod that let's you freeze to death but also gives you the ability to camp, eat hot food, and dress warmly to stave off hypothermia)

Bottom line:  it changes a LOT about how the game works.  It's basically like playing a different game.  If you do try it, it should be used in tandem with skse and Elys Uncapper.

Nonsensei

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 25, 2016, 08:20:38 PM
Yeah, I use the Live Another Life game starter.  Have gotten tired of watching that guys head get chopped off.............:)  I also use some mods that tweak the enchantment and blacksmith trees--and the archery one as well.  My must have is Sofia--I love her wisecracks and oddball statements--and she does a good job of staying out of the way.  What mod replaces the leveling system??

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40899/?
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 26, 2016, 02:25:19 AM
It completely reworks the perk system, which had lots of pointless perks.  This mod changes that.  For example, lockpicking has been merged with pickpocketing and the empty slot is used for the wayfarer tree - it levels up as you explore the world and changes how wild animals interact with you.  Shouts level up speech and speech perks boost shouts.  One-handed got a massive overhaul, the new perks allow for specialization with specific weapons - scimitars, maces, longswords, axes, etc.

Additionally, there are optional modules - changes to the races, standing stones, combat, enemy scaling/AI , etc.  There's even a survivalism mode meant to synergize with Frostfall (the mod that let's you freeze to death but also gives you the ability to camp, eat hot food, and dress warmly to stave off hypothermia)

Bottom line:  it changes a LOT about how the game works.  It's basically like playing a different game.  If you do try it, it should be used in tandem with skse and Elys Uncapper.
Thanks, when the Skyrim bug bites me again, I'll give this a go.  But that means I'll have to bite the bullet and learn how to install skse. :)))

Mike Cl

Quote from: Nonsensei on January 26, 2016, 06:36:09 AM
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40899/?
I guess this means I'll have to join Nexus to get this.  I should do that anyway.  Just concerned that I will screw up the whole thing by installing something wrong.  But it's about time for me to grapple with this.  Thanks for the tip.

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

kilodelta

My son and I spent over 700 dollars on video games in 2015... damn you Steam!
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Hydra009

Quote from: kilodelta on January 31, 2016, 02:12:58 PM
How?  Seriously, how?  Does he not Humble Bundle or wait for sales?  Assuming he actually plays all his purchases for at least a while, that's pretty prodigious consumption.

*edit - didn't notice the crucial "and I".  Still pretty high, but not ridiculously high.

kilodelta

We only buy Steam games while on sale. Steam was 500 between the both of us. So, it's really 21 dollars a month for each. That includes birthday and xmas gifts. The rest went into game subscriptions and some gaming hardware.

Mike Cl

Quote from: kilodelta on January 31, 2016, 02:12:58 PM
Steam is my great weakness, as well.  I spend the most time on Steam or a Steam held game than on any other endeavor.  Long live Steam!

Hydra009

I don't buy many games (though I do watch a lot of let's plays and replays).  I have like 7 games that I actually play, and I play the hell out of them.  Morrowind/Skyrim, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Dawn of War, C&C Generals, and Sins of a Solar Empire.

Speaking of Sins, there's an unexpected new patch out for it.  But strangely, it's opt-in.  I wouldn't even know about it if a modder I follow wasn't raving about it.  The patch itself doesn't seem to do much except offer quality-of-life improvements - makes it easier to mod and stops the fps drops.  On large maps with high textures, the game eventually annihilates the memory block assigned to it and the fps goes down into the single digits.  It's essentially unplayable at that point.  The mod more or less got rid of that.  I haven't pressed my luck and tried the enormous maps yet, but the large maps are way more stable and smooth now!  Great stuff!

kilodelta

Top seven by playtime: Skyrim, Space Engineers, Civ 5, AoE 2, Endless Space, Rise of Nations, Sword of the Stars

I tried to get back into Morrowind. But, I got spoiled by the quest and leveling system of Skyrim. I added the mod to add Morrowind music to Skyrim. But, it's not the same as equipping a dress that is enchanted to levitate the player. I called it "Rising Skirt."