News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"More bad news, my RA2 won't run on 64 bit correctly, and my 32 bit computer won't turn on

:cry:
There are versions of it that will.  I reinstalled it after talking about it and it works fine for me.  You'll probably just have to snag a different version.

GrinningYMIR

Thanks guys I'll look into it.

And Shoe, you could always do what I do!

take a shower and contemplate life until the maintenance is over, or if it lasts too long. Play music as loud as possible and dance wildly without a care for what you look like
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

I was on the fence about Elder Scrolls Online.  Checked out a couple in-depth reviews.  Mostly favorable.  It looks like Skyrim Online.  It also looks beautiful as hell.  And the interface is nice and lean (the limited ability bar reminds me of Secret World), you're not going to have a ton of toolbars cluttering up the screen.  Overall, the gameplay seems solid.

But oh man oh man, the business model is going to be the death of this game.  Lots and lots of completely understandable Imperial Edition rage.  Basically, you can't play as an Imperial unless you fork over extra money.  So, that's $80 instead of $60 for the game, then $15 a month forever.  Cha ching.

And you create this nasty situation where Imperials have a distinct in-game advantage over their non-human peasant counterparts, which doesn't sit well with me either.

And if you pre-ordered the game, your character can join any alliance.  Which seems fine, until you think about the finer implications of Bjorn Elfsmasher joining the Aldmeri Dominion.  Yeah, not a great idea.

Stuff like this could really harm this game.  And it's definitely scared me away from it for the time being.

Shiranu

All I know is Redguard ftw. Unfortunately didn't get to see one.

So a friend playing it,  still not sure how i feel about it.  But it was DEFINITELY beautiful.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GrinningYMIR

debating getting MC, uncertain as to whether I really want it or not
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

PickelledEggs

Does anyone play Guild Wars 2? I've had it for a couple years and just started to actually play it.

sasuke

Quote from: "Hydra009"I was on the fence about Elder Scrolls Online.  Checked out a couple in-depth reviews.  Mostly favorable.  It looks like Skyrim Online.  It also looks beautiful as hell.  And the interface is nice and lean (the limited ability bar reminds me of Secret World), you're not going to have a ton of toolbars cluttering up the screen.  Overall, the gameplay seems solid.

But oh man oh man, the business model is going to be the death of this game.  Lots and lots of completely understandable Imperial Edition rage.  Basically, you can't play as an Imperial unless you fork over extra money.  So, that's $80 instead of $60 for the game, then $15 a month forever.  Cha ching.

And you create this nasty situation where Imperials have a distinct in-game advantage over their non-human peasant counterparts, which doesn't sit well with me either.

And if you pre-ordered the game, your character can join any alliance.  Which seems fine, until you think about the finer implications of Bjorn Elfsmasher joining the Aldmeri Dominion.  Yeah, not a great idea.

Stuff like this could really harm this game.  And it's definitely scared me away from it for the time being.
I feel the same way.  Not buying the game.  Also, I heard that the loot in chests for example is the same for everyone in the game, meaning that if I reach the chest first, I get its contents.  Did they fix this yet?

Hydra009

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"Does anyone play Guild Wars 2? I've had it for a couple years and just started to actually play it.
I played from launch until whenever Planetside 2 came out.  It was decent.  I really enjoyed the intro cutscene tailored to the brief questionnaire you get.  Fucking awesome.  I really appreciated the public quest system with multiple ways of completing the quests.  No quest log!  I particularly liked the quest where you answer a raven's riddles.  It was a really nice change of pace.  I liked how your character's level automatically matches the level of the zone.  I liked the how your abilities have an alt-fire mode.  And the Halloween event - I DEMAND MOAR CANDY CORN!   :evil:  :rollin:

However, I thought the exploration system was frustrating (the exploration spots are marked on the map, but it gets a little tricky when they're above/underneath you or behind bulkheads).  The inventory system is an OCD person's nightmare.  And just finding certain things and figuring out where you need to go was just painful.  Like finding a tier 2 gear merchant at a city will just have you wandering.  The campaign was pretty lackluster.  The jump puzzles were very frustrating.  (One had me jumping during a blizzard while being attacked ><)  On the other hand, the skill point quests were often pathetically easy - little more than standing at a spot and maybe killing a tough mob, if that.  Often times, some poor person would distract 'em, making it a whole lot easier.  And maybe it's just me, but water combat wasn't really my bag.  Serious depth perception issues.  And finally, harvesting crafting mats was just a chore.  You have to deal with durability (your mining picks only have a limited number of uses and then they have to be rebought) and then you have to make sure you use the right quality of mining pick otherwise you harvest crap-in-a-hat and waste your opportunity.  Alternatively, you can waste a lot of money by using a high-quality pick on a low-quality node.  Grrr.  I know why they made it that way.  Farmers.  Bots.  But damn, it really frustrates regular players, too.

It's a fun game and all, but after I hit max level and finally got 100% exploration, I no longer cared about it.

Sal1981

I'm only playing RuneScape every few days now, instead of several hours each day.

Manodo

Quote from: "leo"The Nintendo 64 was the beginning of the end to Nintendo. The company never come back to the number 1 spot in the industry. The Nintendo 64 has some great games but the lack of cd drive was the worst choice ever. The console was raped by the playstation 1.

In terms of home console hardware I agree. I actually really like the Gamecube, but I'm not particularly impressed with the Wii or WiiU. They're not bad consoles, but the motion sensitivity/extra screen doesn't feel like it's enhancing my experience at all. And sometimes the motion stuff can outright ruin a game for me (Ruhhhhhhh Skyward Sword and Metroid Prime 3 ;_;).

Nintendo has an unholy monopoly over the handheld gaming console market, but it will be interesting to see how that market develops with the advent of smartphones and tablets. It could be that handheld consoles eventually become redundant. I hope that doesn't happen though, as I don't really like 100% touchscreen for my games (3DS is famed for its touchscreen, but it still has some nice chunky buttons to work with).

Shiranu

Am I the only person who likes Lightning from that Final Fantasy that came out more recently than some of the older Final Fantasys? :P
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GrinningYMIR

My favorite was 7, I couldn't get into 8, never played 9. Didn't like 10 too awfully much, and never played post 10

Except for 10-2 which was awful

Just listened to the camp theme from DA:O

I know what I'm playing tonight!

Shiranu

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"My favorite was 7, I couldn't get into 8, never played 9. Didn't like 10 too awfully much, and never played post 10

Except for 10-2 which was awful

Just listened to the camp theme from DA:O

I know what I'm playing tonight!

I never got far into 7, just could never get into it. Honestly, 10 was my favourite.

Everything post 10 has been sucky as fuck though, except 13. 13 is apparently the one with Lightning, and I liked it well enough.

Looking forward to Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Kingdom Hearts 3, even though I know I shouldn't. Square Enix has gone down hill hard imo. If they don't get their shit together soon... I fear they might fade away.

Edit: 13 apparently has an 83 on metacritic. I think it could have been better because they cut alot out of it so that it could be played on the Xbox 360 as well as PS3 without needing like... 10 disks.

GrinningYMIR

I need to try 13, I've been itching for a good RPG recently, one that I haven't played before I mean

Edit: I like FF7, because of its story and simple combat style.

But I do admit it gets too easy as time goes on, and I have it mastered to the point where I beat the final boss in 1-3 combat rounds.

But I still have never beaten the two superbosses, they're hard.

Also I've heard that 4 is good. And I need to try 8 again one day

Nonsensei

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"I need to try 13, I've been itching for a good RPG recently, one that I haven't played before I mean

Edit: I like FF7, because of its story and simple combat style.

But I do admit it gets too easy as time goes on, and I have it mastered to the point where I beat the final boss in 1-3 combat rounds.

But I still have never beaten the two superbosses, they're hard.

Also I've heard that 4 is good. And I need to try 8 again one day

If you have an itch for a good jrpg and have an xbox 360, I would strongly recommend Lost Odyssey.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on