Video Microsoft Doesn't Want You To See (XB1)

Started by Shiranu, June 12, 2013, 01:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

Apples to oranges. Doesn't matter though. I'm pretty sure the people who don't care are going to far outnumber the people who do.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

the_antithesis

I am reminded of the Star Wars special editions. There's a small group who care and prefer the originals. But most people don't. Nerd rage is impotent, I have learned. And soon you will too.

Farroc

And that's why the website is up. To attempt to change that. What puzzles me though, is why they added all of this DRM stuff. Money is obviously their only goal, but what do they stand to gain that Sony doesn't? Maybe they're all just really, really stupid. Really, really stupid Billionaires. :-?
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Farroc"And that's why the website is up. To attempt to change that.

Good luck with that.

That occupy Wall Street thing came across as a bunch of whiny kids. What chance does a movement against a video game console have. "Wah. I don't want to buy you're expensive electronics." I just can't see that being taken seriously. Nor do I see it even having much impact on Microsoft because some people just like the bland world of Halo too much.

Farroc

Wow. That is an absolutely horrible attitude. No protest would ever succeed if people thought like that.
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Johan

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinche ... -watchers/

Yep, just as I suspected. There are far more TV watchers than there are gamers out there. Microsoft isn't trying to make a game console that also does media server stuff. They're trying to make media server that also plays games.

I said earlier that I don't have a dog in this race and that was absolutely true. But now that I see the specs on this thing, I'm thinking this could be our next media box. I couldn't care less about games. But a single box that does Roku/Hulu/Amazon on-demand type stuff, accesses media on the local network, and does it via voice commands and has an HDMI pass thru so my wife NEVER has to mess with figuring out how to switch inputs on the TV? Sign me up.

Unless Roku or someone else hits the market in the next 4 months with a box that does voice commands and negates ever having to switch TV inputs, I think Microsoft is going to sell quite a few of these.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Johan

Quote from: "Farroc"Wow. That is an absolutely horrible attitude. No protest would ever succeed if people thought like that.
It may be a horrible attitude, but its absolutely correct. Occupy Wall Street accomplished nothing other than keeping the local pot dealers and djembe salesmen in business. There are situations where protests are appropriate and might actually bring about change. And then there are situations where protests do nothing. Its important to know the difference.

The laws of supply and demand dictate product development choices. If there is a market for gamers who don't have internet access, someone will sell a product to serve that market. If there is a market for gamers who will only spend money on games they can own and resell, then someone serve it. No protests required.

Shiranu

I wish I had $500 to spend on a glorified vcr...

To each their own. To me, it just seems like spending 50,000 on a Honda Civic with shiny rims, a big spoiler, theatre-grade surround sound, a disco ball and a rear-view camera instead of 40,000 on a BMW without all the bells-and-whistles but the better car inside and out.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Farroc

This is why I just plain don't like the Human race in general.

Johan

Quote from: "Shiranu"I wish I had $500 to spend on a glorified vcr...
Oh cry me a river.

QuoteTo each their own. To me, it just seems like spending 50,000 on a Honda Civic with shiny rims, a big spoiler, theatre-grade surround sound, a disco ball and a rear-view camera instead of 40,000 on a BMW without all the bells-and-whistles but the better car inside and out.
The last vehicle we purchased was $100 ($7000 with an even trade for another vehicle). The one before that was $12000. Perhaps if you spent less on your automotive budget you'd be able to buy a glorified VCR. I'm just sayin'.

Johan

Quote from: "Farroc"This is why I just plain don't like the Human race in general.
I don't make the rules, I just play by them. You'll find its easier to get what you want that way.

Hydra009

Quote from: "Aroura33"This is such a weird thread. Some of you seem awfully invested in an crap item that you will not buy.  :-k
Heh.  Maybe you're right.  I suppose I could get back to harshly criticizing a religion I don't practice.   :P

QuoteWe get it, the Xbox1 is crap.  We all agree.  Microsoft shot itself in the foot, but not in the head.  It has many other NON crappy products, and will continue on as a company, hopefully learning from this stupid mistake.
Oh yeah, MS is still in the game, but man was this a HUGE blunder.  Like the PSP Squirrels times We're Doing It Live.  Schadenfreude everywhere.

I guess my main interest is that I've noticed in the gaming community is a lot of really crappy corporate practices gain something of foothold in recent years.  And MS has some of gamers' biggest gripes front and center.  And rather than customers embracing this as "normal", they're infuriated.  And the ensuing backlash has already destroyed the console's reputation and might end up costing MS big time.  It is glorious.

:popcorn:

Aroura33

I think the backlash from the Xbox1 has already been large enough to hurt its sales.  Not eradicate it, mind you, but to make it less than ideal for other companies to copy the errors that are pissing off so many gamers and other potential buyers.  More than the internet thing, the no-resale of old games thing seems to be what most people are cacked over.  And I agree!  It's lame and stupid and beyond greedy to kill the resale of old games.

However, Xbox has almost always been a glorified VCR (DVD player) as far as I know.  We own an Xbox 360 (will not be "upgrading", obviously), but already mainly use it to interface to Netflix, hulu, etc.  The ONLY gaming we have done on it, as far as I know, is with the Kinect.  And I do not regret that purchase at ALL.  My daughter and I do dance games together at least twice a week, and she can spend HOURS exploring the world with her pet cats in Kinectimals.  Those 2 games alone make it worth owning the Xbox and the Kinect.  At her birthday party, we got out a free Kinect game called "Happy Fun Theater" or something like that.  No limit to players, interactive changing environments.  Kept a whole party of 6 to 8 year olds thrilled and active for an hour!

I just wanted to make a comparison of small markets.  Kinect really is only aimed at a small market, it has issues that have raised many complaints (camera in your house connected to the internet...creepy? We just turn it off and put a little cover on it when we aren't using it), and extremely limited games.  But I do not regret buying it, not for a minute.  It has been worth every penny we paid for it.

Also, I love our Xbox as a "glorified VCR" (DvD player would be better comparison).  Seriously, it already has voice commands for us since we have the connect, and to be able to do just about anything I want without a remote is DAMN nice.  Voice and visual commands...I'm already living in the future.  Then again, It was not $500, it was just under $400 WITH the Kinnect, so big price difference.

Anyway, just sort of rambled there, sorry.  I tend to get this way at 1am!!  Bed time.  :rolleyes:
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Sal1981

Lol, I don't care much for the console wars. Last console I owned was the SNES, never bought the N64 or whatever came after the SNES, which according to Wikipedia is the 4th generation consoles. We're now up to 8th generation. If I would buy a console, it would be one from Nintendo, but I doubt I ever will, after going from SNES to PC gaming. WASD & mouse for life.

missingnocchi

Quote from: "Johan"Perhaps if you spent less on your automotive budget you'd be able to buy a glorified VCR. I'm just sayin'.

Because Shiranu was definitely being literal. What the hell has become of this thread? You all realize you sound like shitheads, right? And I know for a fact that a few of you aren't.
What's a "Leppo?"