QUESTIONS WHITE MEN HAVE FOR SJWs!

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, July 15, 2016, 04:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 16, 2016, 04:50:50 PM
Who is getting angry at you for this? Seriously, I have never witnessed this.
I witness it all the time.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Mermaid on July 16, 2016, 04:59:04 PM
I witness it all the time.
You didn't answer my question.

Fair and balanced (like Fox News).
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mermaid

I seriously don't have the energy for this.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Mermaid on July 16, 2016, 04:38:53 PM
If I say that I find being hit on and catcalled threatening and scary, I am usually met with defensiveness and even anger. Why is that? Do you think it's not real?

Do I think catcalling is not real? I do think it's real. I don't think it's as horrible as many of these feminists tend to make it out to be. Some of the cat-calls are actually pretty nasty.... but someone saying "You're really pretty" or "you're beautiful"... it's ridiculous to demonize something as benign as that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 16, 2016, 04:50:50 PM
Seriously, I have never witnessed this.
Have you never left the house? I have witnessed it many times. It's just not necessarily bad or malicious. More times than not, it's benign "You're beautiful" type things.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 16, 2016, 05:03:21 PM
Have you never left the house? I have witnessed it many times. It's just not necessarily bad or malicious. More times than not, it's benign "You're beautiful" type things.
Yes I have left the house, and no, I have never seen this. What alien planet do you live on that this is a common occurrence? Seriously, I want to know.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 16, 2016, 05:06:02 PM
Yes I have left the house, and no, I have never seen this. What alien planet do you live on that this is a common occurrence? Seriously, I want to know.

I go to the city a lot.... sometimes art galleries... bars. You know... places with lots of people

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 16, 2016, 05:07:05 PM
I go to the city a lot.... sometimes art galleries... bars. You know... places with lots of people
I'll take your word for it. The only large city I live near is Seattle, and I don't go there unless I absolutely need to.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 16, 2016, 05:17:03 PM
I'll take your word for it. The only large city I live near is Seattle, and I don't go there unless I absolutely need to.

Yeah. I am out a lot. I'm in the city a lot....

A lot of times there is cat-calling, but it's things like "oh hi. You're gorgeous" There is the few really creepy guys, but it's more rare than you would think. Even in this video, this girl is really attractive.... she's going to get compliments. There were a few creeps in this video. The guy that followed her, the guy that got annoyed that told her to smile. But the guy that said "what's up beautiful?" really? That's sexist?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A

What about when women cat-call men? It happens. Not nearly as much, but it does. I've been cat-called a few times, as hilarious of a thought that is. I personally don't care if men get cat-called or not. If they do, more power to the women doing the cat-calling and kudos to the guys for looking good. But this "no-compliments because I'm offended. I dress like this for me" bullshit is getting out of hand.

PickelledEggs

This is of course not to say that women don't have their issues to deal with. They do. Like when Hobby Lobby was giving them shit for the planned parenthood stuff...  That was bullshit that needed to be changed. Women should have the right to their own body.

This no compliments thing and the "women need more opportunities in the workplace" malarkey needs to stop though.

I witnessed some woman yell to another woman in Washington Square Park "you look like a slut". People I  general can be assholes and have bad judgement for public conduct. But for feminism, it only exists (seemingly, the way they present their position to the world at least) with men doing it to women. Not women doing it to men and not women doing it to women.

Sent from your mom.

Hijiri Byakuren

I think you might have misunderstood my original post. I was talking about "guys getting angry," not catcalling. I've actually been cat called before, as has my father.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 16, 2016, 05:39:42 PM
I think you might have misunderstood my original post. I was talking about "guys getting angry," not catcalling. I've actually been cat called before, as has my father.

ohhhhh. Yeah I've witnessed that too. Not towards myself, but I've seen some guys be total dicks towards women after giving them a compliment and them not either hearing, or if they ignored them

I thought you were talking specifically about the catcalling. But yes. I've witnessed both.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 16, 2016, 05:48:09 PMI thought you were talking specifically about the catcalling. But yes. I've witnessed both.
Okay, well my question stands: who is doing this? Like, what sort of crowd are we talking, here? I want to know who to look out for so I can investigate.

Mermaid

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 16, 2016, 05:01:51 PM
Do I think catcalling is not real? I do think it's real. I don't think it's as horrible as many of these feminists tend to make it out to be. Some of the cat-calls are actually pretty nasty.... but someone saying "You're really pretty" or "you're beautiful"... it's ridiculous to demonize something as benign as that.
Ok, see, that's the thing. I don't care to demonize anything. It can actually be scary. I'd rather it not be so, and I would really rather just enjoy it. But this is an example of walking in a woman's shoes. It often feels like threat, or humiliating or whatever. We just want to get to work, or work out or go about our business without someone commenting on how pretty we are. It's confrontational and can be frightening. Can you at least try to accept that at face value? I think this is a very important general concept, and I am certainly not doing it any justice with the language I am using now. I wish I could put it into better words.

Mermaid

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 16, 2016, 05:56:13 PM
Okay, well my question stands: who is doing this? Like, what sort of crowd are we talking, here? I want to know who to look out for so I can investigate.
I have encountered many young men online, for example, who get defensive and angry about it (I used to moderate a dating forum). It's somehow perceived as negative about men, and accusatory toward all men. It's not.