QUESTIONS WHITE MEN HAVE FOR SJWs!

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, July 15, 2016, 04:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Mermaid on July 16, 2016, 06:00:12 PM
I have encountered many young men online, for example, who get defensive and angry about it (I used to moderate a dating forum). It's somehow perceived as negative about men, and accusatory toward all men. It's not.

So basically my generation. Great, just another reason to love being a millennial.

Actually, now that you mention it, this does sound like something /r/TheRedPill would do. It would explain a lot about their worldview.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mermaid

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 16, 2016, 06:03:01 PM
So basically my generation. Great, just another reason to love being a millennial.

Actually, now that you mention it, this does sound like something /r/TheRedPill would do. It would explain a lot about their worldview.
No. Not just your generation.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 16, 2016, 05:39:19 PM
But for feminism, it only exists (seemingly, the way they present their position to the world at least) with men doing it to women. Not women doing it to men and not women doing it to women.

I also disagree with this.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Mermaid on July 16, 2016, 06:12:07 PM
I also disagree with this.
You may disagree with that as a description of what feminism is, but that is how it comes off, the way it is displayed to us from a man's point of view.

Mermaid

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 16, 2016, 06:18:19 PM
You may disagree with that as a description of what feminism is, but that is how it comes off, the way it is displayed to us from a man's point of view.
Fair enough. I think people need to listen to each other and try not to judge. We're all guilty of it, I think, jumping to conclusions and faulting a group for the actions of a few.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on July 16, 2016, 03:59:55 PMHere is my take on "safe spaces." People need areas where they can come together and discuss common interests without being harassed or having to explain themselves. Support groups, churches, social clubs and forums like this one are examples. This atheist forum is moderated and although religious people participate they are banned if they are only here to proselytize or put down atheists. "Safe space" is an infantilizing term but this forum is a safe space for atheists.
I agree, though of course, I would never claim that I come here because the outside world is so oppressive that I can only truly express myself here.  That's the part I take issue with.  I think that the SJW attempt at broadening oppression to the point that literally everyone suffers from it trivializes actual victims, people who truly face stiff societal penalties for speaking their minds or being who they are - people who are executed for apostasy or immodesty or being gay or nonviolent opposition to the country's ruling party.

QuoteBased on what I have read, the problem with safe spaces on universities is that some people want classrooms, lectures and public presentations to be safe spaces for any minority. People like myself who believe in classic liberalism believe censoring ideas in classrooms, lectures and public presentations is not only unfeasible but damaging to the development of critical thought. It is self-censorship and avoidance behavior (I could go into a whole discussion as to why this trend is bad for mental health). The college classroom is a place where students should be physically safe but not safe from controversial or upsetting ideas.
I agree.  Also, I can't help but point out the contradiction of creating a safe space to fight self-censorship ending up promoting self-censorship.  Clearly, that's not the way forward.

PickelledEggs

And similarly Men's rights activists come off as negative towards women, when it's about rights for men. Both, I feel are the two sides of the same coin. They fuel each other. Personally, I feel like it's time we rid ourselves of both of them and focus on being better humans as a whole. This whole men vs women/women vs men thing is counter productive.

Mermaid

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 16, 2016, 06:42:09 PM
And similarly Men's rights activists come off as negative towards women, when it's about rights for men. Both, I feel are the two sides of the same coin. They fuel each other. Personally, I feel like it's time we rid ourselves of both of them and focus on being better humans as a whole. This whole men vs women/women vs men thing is counter productive.
Now that is good food for thought. Everything I've read from any MRA site has made me feel angry and disgusted. Aha, it works both ways. Thanks for the insight.

Shiranu

Quote...but that is how it comes off, the way it is displayed to us from a man's point of view.

I must be doing this "man" thing wrong, because yall have vastly different experiences and impressions of feminists than I have ever seen.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Nonsensei

Quote from: Shiranu on July 16, 2016, 08:24:11 PM
I must be doing this "man" thing wrong, because yall have vastly different experiences and impressions of feminists than I have ever seen.

More likely, we are paying attention to different feminists.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on July 16, 2016, 08:24:11 PM
You're probably just having trouble seeing the logic flaws as easily.

In all honesty, I get it. I get why women are so drawn to feminism and I get why a lot of men want to support it too. "Someone is being inconvenienced/oppressed? We can't have that!!!" Just looking at these claims and say "wait. There isn't really much more oppression for women than men..." or "wait. men are just as objectified as women, but somehow women are victims when it happens to them?" or "wait. Men are less populated than women in practically the same amount of professions that women populate less than men." That's taboo, and everyone jumps down your throat like you're the enemy. you point out the flaws of a logic and you're the enemy. even if you believe that women should have equal rights to men, the very fact that you point out "well... they do. they actually have some upper-hand in some cases too, just like men have the upper hand in some cases as well.

When you point these things out. People jump on you. and on the other hand it's very tempting to hear "women are getting lower wages and lower paying jobs", not actually look at the numbers and how they were arranged, what careers women tend to go into and apply to and jump on that bandwagon. It's very tempting. I did it too, up until a point.  We all remember the thread I started with Emma Watson's address to the U.N. That is, I think, around the time where I actually started looking at the information and noticed things didn't add up in favor of feminism.

PickelledEggs

Lets look at this another way. What are some things in the news that feminists claim and are actually true?

Lets look at the mass shooters in the last few decades. Most of them (all of them?) were men. Why is this?

Without even getting in to the subject in detail, we can see that men are wired differently than women. Maybe they're wired more aggressively by default? Testosterone? I'm in no way condoning killing of any kind, of course, but this claim that men make up most of the mass shooters is correct. It suggests that men are wired differently than women, which also, and of course in vice-versa.... this also suggests that women are, by default, for the most part wired differently than men.

This is an extreme and tragic example, but wouldn't this also suggest to anyone that looks at this, that men are driven to do certain things and pursue certain things? Different things than women? And also, again vice-versa suggest that women are by default driven to do and pursue certain things as well? Different life choices? Careers? etc?

Idk. It's obvious to me. I've said this many many times in these feminism threads. Men and women both have their issues to deal with. And they both have their strengths.

Shiranu

Quote from: Nonsensei on July 16, 2016, 08:52:57 PM
More likely, we are paying attention to different feminists.

Probably the most accurate.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Draconic Aiur

Men with smaller penises tend to over compensate with war, brutality, and asshattery. Everything is about sex more or less unconsciously. 

Women prone towards violence or being a bitch as they say because of penis envy, or because of sexual abuse.

stromboli

I've seen some pretty dickish behavior over the years. If men spoke to men and commented the way they did, there would be fistfights. Catcalling and so forth is bullying to me. Everybody has the right to be treated with respect. I got drunk once years ago and said something I thought was complimentary towards a guys' girl friend and it almost turned into a fight.

The assache I have with SJW's is taking issues and blowing them up to the point that discussion is no longer possible. I would like to have a chat with Wanda Sykes about the word gay, for example. It had a whole lot of other meanings before the homosexual community coopted it and redefined it.

Gaily bedight
a gallant knight
in sunshine and in shadow

Gaily means colorfully in that context. I daresay romantic poetry would need a rewrite in this day and age.