Sanders supporters, what are you doing for your plan b?

Started by PickelledEggs, April 23, 2016, 01:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

It isn't looking too good for Sanders in these primaries. In the link below, at the time I posted this thread, it shows that Hillary is ahead by *almost* double of what Sanders has. Approximately an 800 delegate difference. There is still a chance Sanders can win the primaries, but it would be a mistake to think he is guaranteed in. A dead stupid mistake. I'm a realist. I want Sanders to be the winner of these primaries, so it's him against whatever Republican candidate there is, but as realists, we need to be real here for a second. It's looking pretty grim. Hillary is closing the gap and there are only (as of now) about 1,600 delegates left.

https://g.co/kgs/fQbco

So Sanders supporters, what is your backup plan? Are you "Bernie or bust"? Like a few people I know of? Or will you vote for someone and not throw your vote away for the lesser evil, if you have to? Like I've said before on this site, I don't want to have to vote for Hillary, but if Bernie doesn't win the primaries and I'm left with the choice of Hillary or Trump, Or Hillary and Cruz, I'm voting Hillary. I'm not going to throw away a vote and not go to the ballot box on voting day. And I'm not voting for an independent because they have no chance at winning. That Democratic endorsement guarantees a huge amount of votes over any independent candidate, so voting independent is just as good as not voting and letting the Republicans have their voters put their votes in.

Lets be clear here. We've had many worse presidents than what Hillary would be. Hillary can't be much worse than Bill Clinton, and Bill Clinton was actually a pretty good president. The problem is, we have Bernie Sanders, who seems like a god-send and he is such a good candidate that it makes everyone else, even the other decent candidates look like pieces of shit...

Let's hope Bernie gets the win, but you guys that are Bernie or bust better start thinking about what your plan B is, in case he doesn't, which is a very real possibility.

If there is a maniac behind the wheel, you have to at least try to keep the car somewhat on the road.

Hydra009

If Bernie doesn't make it, I'm going Hillary.  It's the best choice (among the remaining options).  It's going to be hell to convince other Bernie supporters, though.  And if it's Hillary VS Trump, expect record low turnout, which typically doesn't bode well for the Dems.

TomFoolery

My plan b is for highly intelligent aliens to come adopt me as a pet and take me back to their homeworld where I can learn basic tricks to the delight of my owners who will rub my belly and feed me grapes.

I guess plan c is vote for Hillary.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

SGOS

Well, if it comes down to Clinton or Trump, that would be a tough call.  The problem is that if you don't stop voting for these shitheads, they will never go away.  Now if Hillary invited me out for a beer because she wanted to hear what I thought, and if she promised to just shut up and listen, I might consider her.  But then if Donald called me and promised to teach me how to say stupid shit and still have people thinking I was really brilliant, then I'd feel slightly indebted to him.  It would be really hard to decide.  Right now, I don't have a plan B, although I'm considering Jill Stein.  I probably won't know until I get to the election booth.  There is really no big rush.  The election is still far away.  Maybe I'll have a plan B by then.  Consider me sort of a trivial super delegate.  I am not obligated to vote a certain way, and I can even be bought.

Baruch

I don't have fond memories of Bill Clinton ... though I bought his charm during the 92 campaign, as I did Obama during the 08 campaign.

I don't agree with Bernie's policies ... though I think he is a nicer person than the other candidates, in the same way that Carter was nicer.

I think who the VP will be, for either party, is crucial.  I can see Hillary getting impeached immediately, so the VP will be the real president.  Hillary is thinking of putting a second woman on the ticket.  I think she has the lesbian hots for the current Dem Party leader.  I would like a Hispanic VP ... who will promote the idea of expelling all the Anglos ;-)

The Republicans might try the same trick with Trump ... so his VP choice is crucial too.  If JEB is the VP, then the fix is in big ;-((  I think people are too focused on the SCOTUS replacements ... in Roman politics, the guy closest to you is the most interesting, particularly if he is popular with the MIC.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

I'll probably vote for Trump as a plan b, given the option. I'd go into my reasoning, but I don't really want to type an essay on my phone.

Fair and balanced (like Fox News).
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mermaid

Quote from: SGOS on April 23, 2016, 09:08:24 AM
Well, if it comes down to Clinton or Trump, that would be a tough call. 
I do not understand this.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

TomFoolery

Quote from: Mermaid on April 23, 2016, 10:55:33 AM

I don't really either. I mean, I get that on a character level they're practically the same. They both lie, overstate their records and abilities, suck big money's dicks and pretend like they're the only ones who can fix America.

But one is a flagrant racist who spews words out of his mouth without thinking about them and switches sides on issues more often than Old Navy has a 2 for $5 sale on flip flops.

So really, if you want to vote for Bernie and he doesn't get the nomination and you consider it better to vote for Trump instead of Hillary because you think he'll do a better job, you should take a pretty careful inventory of your values. You might as well say you were going to vote for Tyrion Lannister but since he didn't get the nomination, it's best to vote for Ramsay Bolton instead, because you just don't think Jamie Lannister has the chops.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

SGOS

Quote from: Mermaid on April 23, 2016, 10:55:33 AM

I said that with tongue in cheek just to make a point about my opinion of Hillary.  I'd take it with a grain of salt. 

Mermaid

Ah, I missed the sarcasm. I have heard people say this before, without irony.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

I mean... it would be a tougher call then if it was Sanders vs Trump.... but I would say it's still a no brainer to pick Hillary over Trump... or Hillary over Cruz

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 23, 2016, 11:46:17 AMI mean... it would be a tougher call then if it was Sanders vs Trump.... but I would say it's still a no brainer to pick Hillary over Trump... or Hillary over Cruz
A no brainer for us liberals.  But I wouldn't bet on independents or people who don't often vote to mobilize for Clinton.  And like I said, some of the Sanders supporters are going to be a tough sell.  They're looking for significant reform and giving them a candidate perceived as status quo isn't going to impress anyone.  And while Clinton currently has an edge over Trump that lead will probably narrow as both parties select and rally around their nominee.  Both frontrunners are viewed unfavorably, so it looks like no matter who wins, the electorate's going to be unhappy on election day.

Mermaid

I am pretty sure that Sanders absolutely must (and will) endorse Clinton when the nominations are decided, otherwise I think we may get Trump in office.

I feel that this would be absolutely devastating.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 23, 2016, 12:57:08 PMAnd like I said, some of the Sanders supporters are going to be a tough sell.  They're looking for significant reform and giving them a candidate perceived as status quo isn't going to impress anyone.
This is basically my reasoning for Trump being my Plan B vote. I would prefer Bernie, but if voting for Trump is what it'll take to break the status quo, I'll take it. I look at Trump's record more than his campaign rhetoric (because I think actions speak louder than words), and he's a relatively sensible guy for the most part.

Besides, if Trump became that bad of a president, Congress might actually take some bi-partisan action for once.

2020 EDIT: I was wrong. I was so horribly wrong.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel