News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

"I wouldn't date a ___"

Started by Jannabear, February 21, 2016, 12:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jannabear

I never get why people say they wouldn't date someone from a different word view pertaining to religion, I would never date a fundamentalist or a homophobic or transphobic person, or a racist person, but someone believing in something when I don't believe in it, even if I find it to be fucking stupid, is such a small part of who they are, anyone who says they refuse to date a christian in any situation is a fucking moron.
I used to be this way, but I opened my eyes and realized how much of a fucking idiot I was.
The only exception to this would be if you were someone like hitchens, and you know that it would interfere with the relationship.

Hydra009

Honest first thought:  falcon.  But you know what?  Screw society's norms.

Hydra009

Quote from: Jannabear on February 21, 2016, 12:34:01 AManyone who says they refuse to date a christian in any situation is a fucking moron.
It depends on how religious they are.  If they're one of the more liberal types who aren't totally bonkers and that don't automatically hate atheists, then that's fine.  But if they're super religious and preachy to boot, it's not going to work out.

QuoteThe only exception to this would be if you were someone like hitchens, and you know that it would interfere with the relationship.
What's the problem with Hitchens, exactly?  The high-functioning alcoholism or the yanno, necrophilia?

Atheon

... bitch.

I've dated bitches in the past. No more.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Jannabear

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 21, 2016, 12:45:28 AM
It depends on how religious they are.  If they're one of the more liberal types who aren't totally bonkers and that don't automatically hate atheists, then that's fine.  But if they're super religious and preachy to boot, it's not going to work out.
What's the problem with Hitchens, exactly?  The high-functioning alcoholism or the yanno, necrophilia?
I specified that.
That's not what I meant, I think hitchens was a pretty intelligent person, though he had a few fucked up viewpoints.
My point was that it wouldn't work for him because he was an outspoken antitheist.

Hydra009

Quote from: Jannabear on February 21, 2016, 12:59:17 AMMy point was that it wouldn't work for him because he was an outspoken antitheist.
I have similar views, so I'm probably similarly ineligible.  Guess I should find someone who wouldn't be chased off by a different worldview.  :P

Jannabear

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 21, 2016, 01:07:25 AM
I have similar views, so I'm probably similarly ineligible.  Guess I should find someone who wouldn't be chased off by a different worldview.  :P
I'm saying that if both of you are moderate in how you view religion, why should it matter.

mauricio

Quote from: Jannabear on February 21, 2016, 01:15:35 AM
I'm saying that if both of you are moderate in how you view religion, why should it matter.

One of my main requirements for any relationship is being able to hold an intelligent discussion for more than 5 minutes. Sadly this does not go that well with many gnostic theists. Though i have agnostic theist, deist and pantheist friends with whom I get to discuss monism vs dualism and it is rather interesting.

Shiranu

I don't know if I have ever held an intelligent conversation that ever came to the topic of theism. There are just infinitely more interesting and productive topics to me than "Is there something neither of us can prove right watching us?"...

As for people I wouldn't date; Anyone "mean spirited". Really just being a kind and caring person is the main thing I look for in a personality. I am not as concerned about someone being book smart or ambitious so long as they are empathetic to the world around them.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Theist and religious. Can't. Never have or even tried, but I don't think I can. Can't help it.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Youssuf Ramadan

Depends what you mean by 'date'.  If it's just a short-term thing then yeah, why not?  Can't imagine spending my life with someone who thinks there's an invisible superwizard in the sky though....

Munch

I wouldn't date an - Arrogent jock type asshole who no matter how pretty looking he is, he's still the kind of cunt who picked on the weaker and less popular people in school. These kind of people need to be disfigured.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Nonsensei

..man.

No matter how accepting I am of different lifestyles, I am a "disgusting cis white heterosexual male."
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Nonsensei on February 21, 2016, 08:58:14 AM
..man.

No matter how accepting I am of different lifestyles, I am a "disgusting cis white heterosexual male."

Is this something you experienced in real ife or is it the part of the victimhood imposed on you via internet media?

I mean, have you ever been subjected to any discrimination becuse you are a white heterosexual male?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Nonsensei

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 21, 2016, 09:10:36 AM
Is this something you experienced in real ife or is it the part of the victimhood imposed on you via internet media?

I mean, have you ever been subjected to any discrimination becuse you are a white heterosexual male?

Nope :)
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on