News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

RUSH: An Atheist Rock Band

Started by Solomon Zorn, September 21, 2015, 06:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

If you're not familiar with the band, RUSH, they're a Canadian band, who have been playing together since the early seventies. They are a three man band, consisting of a guitar player (Alex Lifeson), a singer/bass player/keyboard player (Geddy Lee), and a drummer (Neil Peart). The drummer is an atheist, and writes all the song lyrics. The drums take the foreground more than with most bands. They were recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

This song is one of their best, and really showcases the drums.
"https://www.youtube.com/embed/vNe2vTm7va4"

I recommend cranking up the volume!

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Gawdzilla Sama

"Totem Pole" is another one.

I saw Rush for the first time when they were touring their second album. They were lead-off group for KISS. "By-Tor and the Snow Dog" was very cool.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 21, 2015, 07:14:41 AM

I saw Rush for the first time when they were touring their second album. They were lead-off group for KISS. "By-Tor and the Snow Dog" was very cool.
Didn't realize you were that OLD! I had you pegged as a young fella for some reason.

I saw them once. It was in the mid 80's for their "Hold Your Fire" tour.

Here's my favorite song from that album:
"https://www.youtube.com/embed/t0YwbAmCwz8"

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 21, 2015, 07:14:41 AM

Solomon thought you were young. :)  I recognized a crusty old Sea Salt when I read one! :)  Yesterday, my grandson graduated from his Naval advanced training (forget what the Navy calls it) with honors--On Board Communication I think it is called.  Next up for him after his 2 week furlough (now sure what the Navy calls it), it's on to his permanent station.  The young man grew up fast!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 21, 2015, 08:32:21 AM
Solomon thought you were young. :)  I recognized a crusty old Sea Salt when I read one! :)  Yesterday, my grandson graduated from his Naval advanced training (forget what the Navy calls it) with honors--On Board Communication I think it is called.  Next up for him after his 2 week furlough (now sure what the Navy calls it), it's on to his permanent station.  The young man grew up fast!
I had you pictured as middle aged, Mike. Are you a RUSH fan?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 21, 2015, 08:32:21 AM
Used to be "Internal Communications", IC rating. Good guys to know, they could get you cable.

And it's "leave", not furlough. The Navy uses more British terms than the Army, I think.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

surreptitious57

Xanadu
The Trees
Cygnus X I
Bastille Day
Working Man
Red Barchetta
Cinderella Man
La Villa Strangiato
Passage To Bangkok
Something For Nothing

A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN

Mike Cl

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on September 21, 2015, 08:46:49 AM
I had you pictured as middle aged, Mike. Are you a RUSH fan?
I like some of their stuff.  I'm more of a Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Butterfly, Steppenwolf, kind of guy, with a lot of Kitaro thrown in.  :)  Nope, not middle aged.  Or if I am I'll live to 140. :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 21, 2015, 01:03:08 PM
Used to be "Internal Communications", IC rating. Good guys to know, they could get you cable.

And it's "leave", not furlough. The Navy uses more British terms than the Army, I think.
For some reason, I never really became comfortable with Navy nomenclature.  I guess the grandkid can educate me.

Draconic Aiur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on September 21, 2015, 06:50:22 PM
went to 3 rush concerts so far
I am very jealous. I had a chance to go to one and I got really sick and had to miss out.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 21, 2015, 06:12:25 PM
For some reason, I never really became comfortable with Navy nomenclature.  I guess the grandkid can educate me.
Tell him you got schooled by an MMC(SW).
PZ Myers

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 21, 2015, 07:39:36 PM
I am very jealous. I had a chance to go to one and I got really sick and had to miss out.

bummer

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 21, 2015, 07:41:35 PM
Tell him you got schooled by an MMC(SW).
I am assuming that that would be the equivalent of a high ranking SGT in the Army??   

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 21, 2015, 09:30:08 PM
I am assuming that that would be the equivalent of a high ranking SGT in the Army??   
There are nine enlisted ranks, E-1 through E-9. I was E-7 when I retired.

Here's a chart:

PZ Myers