News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

RUSH: An Atheist Rock Band

Started by Solomon Zorn, September 21, 2015, 06:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youssuf Ramadan

I love me a bit of Rush - been a fan for nearly 30 years.   :cool2:

Geddy Lee is of Jewish extraction, dunno whether he has any more affinity for it than a tip of the hat to clan loyalty though.

Gawdzilla Sama

Anybody seen the docu "Beyond the Lighted Stage"? Currently on cable somewhere.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 22, 2015, 05:09:34 AM
There are nine enlisted ranks, E-1 through E-9. I was E-7 when I retired.

Here's a chart:

Thanks for the chart--I was too lazy to look it up. :)  I too, was an E-7 when I 'retired'.  Did not really retire, for I only had 12 yrs. in when I simply did not re-up.  I was in the active reserve and saw the handwritting on the wall.  The Army was taking a very hard look at 18-almost 20 yr. service members and giving them a hard time.  Drumming out many, and the Army was in the process of shutting down many bases as well as giving retirees less and less.  I figured by the time I got to 20----well, I wouldn't get there.  And my branch was being given a new mission.  But, even though I had a top secret clearance, I was not allowed to read the secret manual that spelled out what those new duties would be.  I just knew that it entailed being married to an M-16--I was used to using a pencil and pad in my work; did not join the Army to fight. :))  Anyway, Chief, E-7 was a good rank to be.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

"Baby sitter to future admirals" was how I put it to one officer. He was a tad miffed, but couldn't figure out how to protest effectively considering that I'd just saved his career.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

CrucifyCindy

Wasn't the drummer some sort of Randroid and many of the songs are about objectivism?
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 22, 2015, 11:38:54 AM
Wasn't the drummer some sort of Randroid and many of the songs are about objectivism?
Neil was a drummer. What he did when he wasn't drumming doesn't worry me. I'm not following the objectivism idea.
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 22, 2015, 09:08:47 AM
Thanks for the chart--I was too lazy to look it up. :)  I too, was an E-7 when I 'retired'.  Did not really retire, for I only had 12 yrs. in when I simply did not re-up.  I was in the active reserve and saw the handwritting on the wall.  The Army was taking a very hard look at 18-almost 20 yr. service members and giving them a hard time.  Drumming out many, and the Army was in the process of shutting down many bases as well as giving retirees less and less.  I figured by the time I got to 20----well, I wouldn't get there.  And my branch was being given a new mission.  But, even though I had a top secret clearance, I was not allowed to read the secret manual that spelled out what those new duties would be.  I just knew that it entailed being married to an M-16--I was used to using a pencil and pad in my work; did not join the Army to fight. :))  Anyway, Chief, E-7 was a good rank to be.

My Navy son is an E-6 shooting for Chief, my oldest was an Army E-7 when they kicked him out medically retired him after blowing him up, screwing up his back and nearly removing his leg in Iraq and Afghanistan. Y'all have my respect. Got out as an E-4, just barely. Almost didn't make that. Discipline issues, or something. didn't like my attitude. Might've been that "throw a punch at a Chief Petty Officer" thing......

Anybody in the service knows the senior noncoms are the guts, heart and soul of the military. And Gawd, I've seen more than once a senior NCO saved officer bacon. Seems like with officers the more privileged their background, the more likely they were to overload their asses.

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on September 22, 2015, 01:26:42 PM
My Navy son is an E-6 shooting for Chief, my oldest was an Army E-7 when they kicked him out medically retired him after blowing him up, screwing up his back and nearly removing his leg in Iraq and Afghanistan. Y'all have my respect. Got out as an E-4, just barely. Almost didn't make that. Discipline issues, or something. didn't like my attitude. Might've been that "throw a punch at a Chief Petty Officer" thing......

Anybody in the service knows the senior noncoms are the guts, heart and soul of the military. And Gawd, I've seen more than once a senior NCO saved officer bacon. Seems like with officers the more privileged their background, the more likely they were to overload their asses.
I feel for your son ex-Army type.  The military is in the business of 'chew them up and get more'.  I was afraid I would have been in the same position, so I just got out.  Hope your Naval son gets his rank soon.  E-7 is a good spot to be in in the military.  If not for Nam, I am convinced that I would have made a career out of the  Army.  I would have tried for Warrant Officer.  They kind of fit between NCO's and officers.  Both leave them alone pretty  much.   They are an expert in a particular occupation--I would have shot for DAME and DASE--basically picking locks and keeping them from being picked.  But my real take-away from the Army was the deep regard for the secretary  when I began my career as a teacher.  I made sure I was in tight with my support people; it did make life much easier.  Same concept of the NCO makes the Army run--they do.  I imagine the Navy is the same.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

Guy I had the most respect for in the Navy was Glendenning, an E-9 Sonar Man Chief who was Chief of the Boat on the Washington. This dude was big, the 6'5" max for submarines, but really smart. He could chew your ass without ever using a cuss word and make you feel 3 inches high, or give you a compliment that made you want to reenlist. Awesome guy. there were a few NCO's I didn't get along with, but by and large the career guys were sharp and kept shit running. The Washington was an old boat and falling apart, but they kept it going. Had my second ship, the Marshall, been as good as the Washington, I probably would have stayed in. But the captain was a politicking asshole that would stab you in the back as look at you.

PopeyesPappy

I saw the 2112 Tour in 76, Farewell to Kings in 77 and Hemispheres in 79 all in Alabama. Plus I know I saw them again in El Paso around 81 or 82 but I can't remember exactly when or what show it was.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Salutes to those who serve and those who served. I'm currently listed at 100% disabled with the VA. One doctor said I got 100% because they didn't have anything higher. Meh, shit happens, then you die.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 22, 2015, 03:04:01 PM
Salutes to those who serve and those who served. I'm currently listed at 100% disabled with the VA. One doctor said I got 100% because they didn't have anything higher. Meh, shit happens, then you die.
Too bad about the disability.  But you are right--shit happens and then you die.  Sums it up.  I was forced to record fire with my .32 police special without ear plugs.  There were 8 of us and we fired 75 rounds each--the next day I could not hear my phone on my desk ring.  To this day, I have the sound of crickets constantly in my ears.  But can't prove the Army was in the wrong.  So, shit happens and then you die.  I got over it--but still hear the crickets.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 22, 2015, 03:34:27 PM
Too bad about the disability.  But you are right--shit happens and then you die.  Sums it up.  I was forced to record fire with my .32 police special without ear plugs.  There were 8 of us and we fired 75 rounds each--the next day I could not hear my phone on my desk ring.  To this day, I have the sound of crickets constantly in my ears.  But can't prove the Army was in the wrong.  So, shit happens and then you die.  I got over it--but still hear the crickets.
Tinnitus is no fun. As a genuine faux medical professional I proscribe cannabis, in large amounts.

I used to swing twin .50 cal. Brownings in a power tub with no hearing protection. I still have flat spots in my tests.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 22, 2015, 04:48:07 PM
Tinnitus is no fun. As a genuine faux medical professional I proscribe cannabis, in large amounts.

I used to swing twin .50 cal. Brownings in a power tub with no hearing protection. I still have flat spots in my tests.
Holy shit--.50 cals???  I really don't understand how you can even hear now.  I test fired a .50 cal once--with protection.  It was loud even then. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 22, 2015, 05:34:08 PM
Holy shit--.50 cals???  I really don't understand how you can even hear now.  I test fired a .50 cal once--with protection.  It was loud even then. 
The docs were wondering the same thing, but the baby cannons were just so much music to me. Eighty-two pounds of lead a minute out of each barrel at full rock-and-roll. (Theoretical, that would fuck up the barrels a bit.)
PZ Myers