News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Realizing that Im Queer

Started by _Xenu_, September 20, 2015, 07:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Xenu_

I considered myself straight for a long time, but its really come to the point where I can't deny that I'm attracted to guys. Its not like I cant appreciate a beautiful woman, I just like guys too. I think I'm more bisexual that outright gay. I know you guys wont be too harsh, but I would appreciate a bit of support. I'm still not sure how to tell my family.

Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Munch

The first thing to do, is not create a negative view of your sexuality by using an abrasive word like calling yourself queer, since its usually more of a negative then a positive.

Second, you just have to learn to accept the fact that sexuality isn't black and white, just because society tries to make limited camps for everyone doesn't mean you belong to just one type. Sexuality is a unique and fingerprints, you have your own, and your body tells you what you find attractive. so instead of trying to conform to what others, like your parents, want it to be in a limited set of rules, just go with what feels right to you.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

_Xenu_

I didnt mean anything negative by using the word queer. I am a queer. To me its just kind of a generic term that means non-hetero. Sorry if I offended you...

TomFoolery

Quote from: _Xenu_ on September 20, 2015, 08:10:15 AM
I didnt mean anything negative by using the word queer. I am a queer. To me its just kind of a generic term that means non-hetero. Sorry if I offended you...

It's a word that's been considered a pejorative for a long time, but as of late it's been sort of reclaimed by some in the LGBT community as a means of identification. It can still be a bit divisive though.

Since it seems you've just sort of discovering this for yourself, maybe there doesn't have to be a huge rush to tell your family. There's nothing wrong with being gay or bisexual. I'm not aware of any LGBT manual that explains the steps in a rigid way like:
Step 1: Discover your homosexuality
Step 2: Tell the world
Step 3: Enter a homosexual relationship

I know people firsthand who have done them out of order and came out just fine for it. I think it's important that you feel comfortable in your own skin. In a way, I sense that you aren't, because you hope "we won't be too harsh." Knowing the general vibe of this community, I can't imagine anyone would be harsh on you based on your sexuality. There are gay and bisexual members on this forum, and I've not seen anyone treat them harshly for it.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Munch

Quote from: _Xenu_ on September 20, 2015, 08:10:15 AM

You didn't offend me dude, just have never really found it an empowering word. Though as a way of shoving it back in someone's face it works. "Omg ur queer lol!" "Yeah, I am queer and fucking loving it"

Solitary

I think it has a lot to do with how horny you get----sex is sex period. Why is it such a big deal who, or what, it is with as long as it is consensual? I experimented when I was very young, and decided I liked girls better, and it was accepted where with boys wasn't. Maybe we are all bisexual and just learn from experience what we prefer or is accepted. It seems the people that protest the most about gays and lesbians are attracted to it and makes them feel uncomfortable because they have been taught it is a sin, wrong, nasty, or taboo when very young.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Munch on September 20, 2015, 08:06:13 AM
The first thing to do, is not create a negative view of your sexuality by using an abrasive word like calling yourself queer, since its usually more of a negative then a positive.
It's actually a common thing to refer to yourself as, enough that they added it to the end of LGBTQ (though most people still just say LGBT). It just means you don't have a clear sexual preference, but are pretty sure it's not purely heterosexual.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mermaid

Rock it!

You can tell people when you're ready, there's no rush, right?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mike Cl

Quote from: _Xenu_ on September 20, 2015, 07:49:56 AM
I considered myself straight for a long time, but its really come to the point where I can't deny that I'm attracted to guys. Its not like I cant appreciate a beautiful woman, I just like guys too. I think I'm more bisexual that outright gay. I know you guys wont be too harsh, but I would appreciate a bit of support. I'm still not sure how to tell my family.
Why do you have to tell your family??
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

The Skeletal Atheist

You don't have to tell your family until you're ready to do so. I wish I had some concrete advice for you, but for me it was an organic process. I had so readily repressed my sexuality that it was a gradual struggle to discover who I really was. Really the main thing I would have to say is learn to be comfortable with yourself before you decide to come out. Being attracted to guys isn't weird, or anything like that, it's just part of who you are. Come to terms with yourself before you worry about what others will think.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

GSOgymrat

Be comfortable with your own sexuality before discussing it with your family. You don't need to pick a label, if your sexuality is fluid just describe your feelings as honestly as you can. Some of your family members may need some hand holding through this process. I know one big concern my parents had was having grandchildren, so you may want to think about that. I hope all goes well!

_Xenu_

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 20, 2015, 12:11:57 PM
It's actually a common thing to refer to yourself as, enough that they added it to the end of LGBTQ (though most people still just say LGBT). It just means you don't have a clear sexual preference, but are pretty sure it's not purely heterosexual.
Thank you! This is more how it was intended!

_Xenu_

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 20, 2015, 03:05:45 PM
Be comfortable with your own sexuality before discussing it with your family. You don't need to pick a label, if your sexuality is fluid just describe your feelings as honestly as you can. Some of your family members may need some hand holding through this process. I know one big concern my parents had was having grandchildren, so you may want to think about that. I hope all goes well!
Im pretty sure they already know they aren't getting any grandkids from me. My discomfort with the toddler set is pretty obvious.

Munch

Quote from: _Xenu_ on September 20, 2015, 05:30:59 PM
Im pretty sure they already know they aren't getting any grandkids from me. My discomfort with the toddler set is pretty obvious.

Your not alone, and being gay doesn't signal that you can't have kids, just that you need to go to more lengths to be a parent. But in my case I just decided kids aren't for me, I find them exhausting, stressful and life changing, and wouldn't want a kid being raised by me because of it.

GSOgymrat

I know several gay couples who have kids. It is definitely an option but I told my partner at the beginning of our relationship kids were a deal breaker. He said cats were never going to happen.

Xenu, where do you live? The culture can make a big difference.