So this hell and eternal lake or fire thing .....

Started by 1liesalot, September 10, 2015, 03:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1liesalot

The doctrine of hell was clearly invented to frighten the bejaysus out of everyone. Without it, people would be less scared of non-belief, which is the entire point. Except, the concept of hell was one of the main things that brought me to atheism. It's such a straight up and down evil story, after all, and a transparent one at that. But it isn't discussed enough, is it, the hell doctrine? And I was wondering about theories as to why, if anyone has some.......

jonb

There is the old golden nugget
Heaven is hotter than hell.

QuoteHEAVEN IS HOTTER THAN HELL PARADOX
The Heaven is Hotter than Hell Paradox is a contradiction between stated temputures [sic] listed in the Bible. By computing the temputures [sic] of both Heaven and Hell using the information by the Bible.
Tempurature [sic] of Heven [sic]
The temperature of heaven can be rather accurately computed. Our authority is the Bible, Isaiah 30:26 reads, “Moreover, the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold as the light of seven days.”
Thus, heaven receives from the moon as much radiation as the earth does from the sun, and in addition seven times seven (49) times as much as the earth does from the sun, or fifty times in all. The light we receive from the moon is one ten-thousandth of the light we receive from the sun, so we can ignore that. With these data we can compute the temperature of heaven: The radiation falling on heaven will heat it to the point where the heat lost by radiation is just equal to the heat received by radiation. In other words, heaven loses fifty times as much heat as the earth by radiation. Using the Stefan-Boltzmann fourth power law for radiation:
(H/E)4 = 50
where E is the absolute temperature of the earth, 300°K (273+27). This gives H the absolute temperature of heaven, as 798°K (525°C or 977°F).

Tempurature [sic] of Hell
The exact temperature of hell cannot be computed but it must be less than 444.6°C, the temperature at which brimstone or sulfur changes from a liquid to a gas. As stated in Revelations 21:8: “But the fearful and unbelieving… shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone.” A lake of molten brimstone [sulfur] means that its temperature must be at or below the boiling point, which is 444.6°C. (Above that point, it would be a vapor, not a lake.)
We have then, temperature of heaven, 525°C (977°F) and the temperature of hell, less than or equal to (=>) 444.6°C (>=832.28°F). Therefore heaven is hotter than hell.

copied from
https://evolvingatheist.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/the-heaven-is-hotter-than-hell-paradox/

Munch

jonb! How dare you apply that sinful thing from that evil religion you call science! God is beyond science, god controls everything, your fairy tale laws called physics have no power over him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw9bny88OuY

(Funny enough, this cartoon was well ahead of its time with this scene, one of the earliest examples of atheism in a cartoon)
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Ace101

Quote from: 1liesalot on September 10, 2015, 03:41:52 PM
The doctrine of hell was clearly invented to frighten the bejaysus out of everyone. Without it, people would be less scared of non-belief, which is the entire point. Except, the concept of hell was one of the main things that brought me to atheism. It's such a straight up and down evil story, after all, and a transparent one at that. But it isn't discussed enough, is it, the hell doctrine? And I was wondering about theories as to why, if anyone has some.......
I believe hell was stolen from Tartarus in Roman mythology. It didn't exist in Jewish mythology prior to the New Testament and "tartaro" is the term used in the New Testament for "cast into hell".

Babytooth

Hey buddy just to let you know heaven and hell are both very real, the ancients wasn't on some mission to scare everyone into their religion that you think man had the ability to create, they had true encounters with other and older spirits than us, to think what you see and feel with your senses is all there is period. is a very shallow mind frame and I thank god I haven't been deceived yet. and pray I never will be. to think you are your flesh is foolish, to think Matter created MIND is very foolish and to the point I would call it denial.
MATTER NEVER CREATES MIND, ONLY MIND CAN CREATE MATTER..  The warnings of hell are very true, the Bible and Christianity  is the only one true religion of holiness, good, and of the one true creator the most high! and of true wisdom knowledge and understanding. you cant beat the truth PERIOD. ill prove it

stromboli

Quote from: Babytooth on September 10, 2015, 05:38:51 PM
Hey buddy just to let you know heaven and hell are both very real, the ancients wasn't on some mission to scare everyone into their religion that you think man had the ability to create, they had true encounters with other and older spirits than us, to think what you see and feel with your senses is all there is period. is a very shallow mind frame and I thank god I haven't been deceived yet. and pray I never will be. to think you are your flesh is foolish, to think Matter created MIND is very foolish and to the point I would call it denial.
MATTER NEVER CREATES MIND, ONLY MIND CAN CREATE MATTER..  The warnings of hell are very true, the Bible and Christianity  is the only one true religion of holiness, good, and of the one true creator the most high! and of true wisdom knowledge and understanding. you cant beat the truth PERIOD. ill prove it

Quoteill prove it

Please do.

:popcorn:

Munch

Babytooth

and I seriously like that big fat fresh meat face that's funny. thank you.

Babytooth

To Stromboli:
what do you believe on the fact of "matter never creates mind, and only mind can create matter". what do  you believe Stromboli? about creation? how are we or anything here how does even things such as wisdom exist?

stromboli

Quote from: Babytooth on September 10, 2015, 06:10:10 PM
To Stromboli:
what do you believe on the fact of "matter never creates mind, and only mind can create matter". what do  you believe Stromboli? about creation? how are we or anything here how does even things such as wisdom exist?

Don't waste my time with philosophical BS. Post evidence, please, of how a god can exist and how your specific belief is true.

Munch

Quote from: stromboli on September 10, 2015, 06:35:15 PM
Don't waste my time with philosophical BS. Post evidence, please, of how a god can exist and how your specific belief is true.

I'm more interested in how he knows his one is true, and lets say Hinduism isn't true, or the Norse gods.

Babytooth

Stromboli matter never creates mind we see that through everyday life that is not philosophical BS  bro haha that is true evidence in its self and you just rejected every question I asked you can your mind not dig any dipper? what are your belief's?

Munch

Babytooth, just something to enlighten you to the reality of the current situation. We have theists of varying degrees on this site, who create good too and throws for debates related to proper philosophical argument with a good degree of respect for their theology.
You however are coming off as a troll here just to knock on peoples doors and run away. your chances of staying around here are pretty much slipping away, so you can either debate theology like an adult, or keep doing what your doing right now.

Maybe the mods might be nice and keep you around, like a chia pet

Baruch

If someone knocks on the door to this web site ... and you open the door and see a flaming sack on the porch ... remember ... don't try to stomp the fire out!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.