So this hell and eternal lake or fire thing .....

Started by 1liesalot, September 10, 2015, 03:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Pretty sure there are smart theists out there that could offer some meaningful dialogue, but they know better than to dip their wick in this pond. We get the droolers.

1liesalot

Quote from: Ace101 on September 10, 2015, 05:24:36 PM
I believe hell was stolen from Tartarus in Roman mythology. It didn't exist in Jewish mythology prior to the New Testament and "tartaro" is the term used in the New Testament for "cast into hell".

The irony being, if they had stuck to Jewish mythology prior to the NT, their whole "God is love" argument might have stood a hope in hell.... as it were.

Munch

Quote from: 1liesalot on September 12, 2015, 08:17:09 PM
The irony being, if they had stuck to Jewish mythology prior to the NT, their whole "God is love" argument might have stood a hope in hell.... as it were.

most likely they heard how the concept of hades and the elysium fields work in greece, seeing it was used as the example of only the best and most honored go to elysium, so they made up heaven as the same principle, and just kept the underworld of hades concept as hell.

Often wish you could hear more historians bring up the fact religions steal ideas and stories from prior religions, but I think sadly a lot of historians can't think outside a theistic pov, which is counter productive to finding the truth.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

1liesalot

Quote from: Munch on September 12, 2015, 08:24:08 PM
most likely they heard how the concept of hades and the elysium fields work in greece, seeing it was used as the example of only the best and most honored go to elysium, so they made up heaven as the same principle, and just kept the underworld of hades concept as hell.

Often wish you could hear more historians bring up the fact religions steal ideas and stories from prior religions, but I think sadly a lot of historians can't think outside a theistic pov, which is counter productive to finding the truth.

There is a conspiracy of silence. Most of it derives from fear. People get furious around the truth.

g2perk

Quote from: 1liesalot on September 10, 2015, 03:41:52 PM
The doctrine of hell was clearly invented to frighten the bejaysus out of everyone. Without it, people would be less scared of non-belief, which is the entire point. Except, the concept of hell was one of the main things that brought me to atheism. It's such a straight up and down evil story, after all, and a transparent one at that. But it isn't discussed enough, is it, the hell doctrine? And I was wondering about theories as to why, if anyone has some.......
If you simply believe..He'll will not be a worry

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Baruch

The physical reality for Roman Christians is the eruptions of Vesuvius and Etna.  And the hellish qualities of working in the sulfur mines of Sicily and Sardinia.  Sulfur = brimstone.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: g2perk on September 30, 2015, 07:14:15 PM
If you simply believe..He'll will not be a worry

Wow!  That is really simple.  That's good to know.  I believe in the Tooth Fairy.  Now I don't have to worry.  Whew--that's one less worry now.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

g2perk

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 30, 2015, 08:03:17 PM
Wow!  That is really simple.  That's good to know.  I believe in the Tooth Fairy.  Now I don't have to worry.  Whew--that's one less worry now.
Yeah....I know right. Hey if you want to think GOD is complicated keep listening to every man made prophet out in the world..That's up to you. At least the Tooth fairy have you something..

Baruch

Which Tooth Fairy?  The real one leaves gold coins, not stinking quarters ;-)  There is no escaping choice ... so you might as well just learn to be yourself.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: g2perk on September 30, 2015, 08:12:08 PM
Yeah....I know right. Hey if you want to think GOD is complicated keep listening to every man made prophet out in the world..That's up to you. At least the Tooth fairy have you something..

:))))  Yeah, I think I got a quarter for each of my lost teeth.  Back in the day, that was a good hunk of change for a kid. :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on September 11, 2015, 12:29:02 PM
Pretty sure there are smart theists out there that could offer some meaningful dialogue, but they know better than to dip their wick in this pond. We get the droolers.

The problem is the droolers don't know they're droolers. I haven't seen the banhammer for quite a while... just saying...

g2perk

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 01, 2015, 09:04:35 AM
:))))  Yeah, I think I got a quarter for each of my lost teeth.  Back in the day, that was a good hunk of change for a kid. :))
I thought so...[emoji3]

stromboli

Quote from: josephpalazzo on October 01, 2015, 09:07:45 AM
The problem is the droolers don't know they're droolers. I haven't seen the banhammer for quite a while... just saying...

Well stick around. It'll happen today. I got shit to do. I think you're a good candidate for a mod, btw.