News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hi All

Started by Spockrates, August 14, 2015, 12:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spockrates

So I'm a Christian, I guess. Just not sure about what is true or real and what is untrue or unreal. Is this forum for atheists only, or for anyone?

Munch

Its an atheist forum pretty much, but since nobody likes an echo chamber we have theists come here too if they want to discuss things and even get some insight onto why people are atheist.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: Spockrates on August 14, 2015, 12:25:14 PM
So I'm a Christian, I guess. Just not sure about what is true or real and what is untrue or unreal. Is this forum for atheists only, or for anyone?
All are welcome here.  Most are atheist.  But that doesn't limit any discussion; especially since the only thing that unites atheists is that atheists don't believe in god/gods.  So, join in--ask questions and make replies.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Spockrates

Quote from: Munch on August 14, 2015, 12:36:33 PM
Its an atheist forum pretty much, but since nobody likes an echo chamber we have theists come here too if they want to discuss things and even get some insight onto why people are atheist.

So it's not offensive to ask someone why he's an atheist, I suppose.

:)

Baruch

Great handle!  Live long and souvlaki!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Spockrates

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 14, 2015, 12:55:56 PM
All are welcome here.  Most are atheist.  But that doesn't limit any discussion; especially since the only thing that unites atheists is that atheists don't believe in god/gods.  So, join in--ask questions and make replies.

Well, I suppose that depends on how someone defines gods. I have something in common with some atheists, which is a love of the science of science fiction. Such teaches that alternate universes existing in the same space as our own might have beings different than, and with greater abilities than our own. Such beings, were they to cross over to our universe, might be seen as gods.

Not that such a thing does happen. It's just fun to think of such a possibility. Those atheists who believe such is possible would not say it is impossible such "gods" exist.

Spockrates

Quote from: Baruch on August 14, 2015, 01:09:47 PM
Great handle!  Live long and souvlaki!

Guess I can sincerely say I hope Lenord Nemoy continues to live long and prosper, as well as Socrates! 

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

Quote from: Spockrates on August 14, 2015, 01:05:58 PM

nah, just be prepared though since it can be a little brutal when discussing religion here.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Spockrates

Quote from: Munch on August 14, 2015, 01:26:27 PM
nah, just be prepared though since it can be a little brutal when discussing religion here.

I don't take any shots taken on my religious beliefs personally. I guess that's because I'm not afraid to be proven wrong. If what I believe is found to be untrue, I just believe something more likely to be true, instead.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Spockrates on August 14, 2015, 01:05:58 PM

Nope.  And I hope you don't take offense when we ask why you are a theist. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Okay, Spockrates, I'll bite.  What do you mean when you say you think you are a christian.  Seems to me that is either you are or you aren't.  Why the hesitation?

And I'm an atheist because there is simply no proof of any kind that a god or gods exist.  And there is not any proof that Jesus existed either.  And no, the bible is not proof of anything, much less that Jesus existed; he is simply a myth. 

Much to chew on--so please, chew away.

Green Bottle

Welcome to the Madhoose Spock...
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

SGOS

Are you a Christian?  Do you believe Jesus Christ is your savior?  Christians believe that.  If you are not sure, you are not a Christian.  Sure, you can call yourself one.  I used too, because I was too frightened not too, but not being sure, by definition I didn't believe the required basics.  Perhaps you just believe there is some sort of god out there. 

But you can futz around with such thoughts until the cows come home.  You either believe or you don't.  We do not accept a position in-between.  Not because we don't approve.  We don't accept it because there is no such thing.  Sometimes we argue about that too.  It's kind of nuts around here.