What is the single most stupid argument for the existence of God you ever heard?

Started by 1liesalot, July 06, 2015, 09:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

The Big Brother advertisement for the original Mac ... comes in many forms before and afterward.  Or the hyenas in Lion King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

Who knew Gen. Wesley Clark was in charge in 1984?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K6lFYU0-XM

The venue of large numbers of people acting in synchrony is the trick ... hence megachurches and Promise Keepers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6WMXd8ZqmM ... politics is a kind of religion
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

Hm, let me make up an argument, you tell me how stupid it is.  Mind, this may be an argument for God, but it is NOT an argument for a BENEVOLENT God.

The amount of concentrated stupidity in Rick Santorum is so great, that the odds of such incredibly stupidity passing on and being refined through multiple generations approach zero.  This indicates that there must be some sort of intelligent designer actively protecting and enhancing the stupidity that Rick Santorum becomes possible.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

1liesalot

Quote from: Baruch on July 13, 2015, 11:35:06 PM
Yes ... but does any thought pass between the ears and the lips of talking heads?  Clearly he wasn't speaking carefully ... but it was a Freudian slip of his mental world.  Just like a kid mentioning Santa Claus in passing.

No, I think he meant it. Around the time that the remark was passed, there had been headline reports on Fox News about how some Japanese archaeologists were claiming they located the ark at the top of a mountain. They brought relics down with them and said it was 90% certain that this was the real deal and these relics genuinely came from the Ark. It was bullshit but Fox News fell for it at first  Eventually, though, the purported boat finders  turned their newly found artefacts over for scientists to test and it turned out to be a hoax (surprise surprise). Still, you can easily picture some of the more stupid Fox News Jesus Freaks refusing to believe that the ark wasn't up there up there and had indeed been found. Desperation and delusion can make a p;erson believe a lot of shit that can't possibly be true. But they shouldn't let those people loose in a news room

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

This story really made me laugh. Outside a church in California, on its grounds, there was a tree. When an elderly woman touched the tree, she felt a liquid rain down on her, and believed it was Jesus' tears, and by praying to the tree, Jesus would rain down tears on you and bless you.

So all Catholics from around came to receive the blessing, putting hands on the tree and making 'tears' rain down on them.

It was only until a man investigated the tree under a microscope, and investigated the same species of tree in the area, that he found out, the trees, due to the hot season, where infested with tree lice, who ate the trees sap, and excreted out of there abdomens.

So quite literally, the Catholics were being shit on.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/people-worship-weeping-tree-in-california-tears-are-actually#.foAp0ed8J
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solitary

One has to admire Hitler for being able to get so powerful and control the minds of so many people to not question his authority. He started them young in obedience to authority to worship the State, be a bigot, and used hatred and fear for his convenience, just like politicians still do, and the Church has from day one. Bush and his cohorts used the same methods to get us into a non ending war, where people are willing to kill or die for the State. Do we ever learn from the past?
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Baruch

Hitler wasn't Catholic by conviction, but he had plenty of Catholic and Lutheran raw material to work with ;-(  Hitler was a catalyst working an existing unstable social situation.

No, people learn nothing from history, because history is just propaganda anyway.  But this is because one generation follows another ... just as Americans learned that Vietnam was a bad idea ... the children of that generation are like ... what does Pops know!  So now we have a corporation profit war all over again (that is what Vietnam was all about, and so was Iraq in 2003 etc).  Prosperity came to the US after WW II started ... now if we could just start WW III, it would be "happy days are here again".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

1liesalot

The absolute bottom line for me isn't just that people make stupid arguments for God' existence but that they make equally stupid arguments about how such a deity is worthy of perpetual worship, When it's clear that He is an idiot and a sociopath.

Termin

Just ran into this

"Words have no meaning unless there is an outside authority to give it meaning"

Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Termin on July 29, 2015, 03:21:11 PM
Just ran into this

"Words have no meaning unless there is an outside authority to give it meaning"
Wow!  That is like, man, sooooo, uhh, cerebral man............................like, wow..................and pass the joint again.......................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Termin ... assume you deadpanned a quote as satire that matches the string title?

As for me, I am a grownup so I don't have to accept anyone's damned authority.  I like “When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean â€" neither more nor less.’

And Humpty-Dumpty was a hard boiled egg, he was.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Solitary

Quote from: 1liesalot on July 27, 2015, 11:56:18 AM
The absolute bottom line for me isn't just that people make stupid arguments for God' existence but that they make equally stupid arguments about how such a deity is worthy of perpetual worship, When it's clear that He is an idiot and a sociopath.
You keep this up and I'm going to have to give an atheist heathenish statute. I'm not joking! 
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

NakedTracyBlack

I'd have to go with "Without god, there would be no morality.  People could rape all they wanted to."

Baruch

NakedTracyBlack ... They also argue, that without the State, people would rape all they wanted to.  Are you open to rejecting that one too?  Traditionally some god stood behind both State and religion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu