What is the single most stupid argument for the existence of God you ever heard?

Started by 1liesalot, July 06, 2015, 09:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Mike CL ... you answered before I asked the question ... are we one mind in two bodies?  That "atman" says we are.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 09, 2015, 06:05:06 PM
Mike CL ... you answered before I asked the question ... are we one mind in two bodies?  That "atman" says we are.
I think you will find that 'atman' knows all and sees all. :)  And I've heard that fine thinks mind alike.................or something like that.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Atheon on July 09, 2015, 10:39:32 AM
Yeah, she looks so proud of her unassailable reply. "Checkmate, atheists!"
Uhmmm..just watch a fan blade circling a ceiling fan slowly. .pretty much the same effect
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

doorknob

all there arguments seem shallow and stupid to me so I don't know where to start.

How bout the universe being finely tuned for the thin film of life on one planet? Not that I don't think there is other life out there, there very well maybe we just don't know about it yet. Or some one's not telling.

Conspiracy theories begin!

Baruch

The reason why present theory requires such ... questionable adjustments (cosmology) ... is because it isn't a very good theory.  Optimists will say ... isn't a very good theory ... yet.  As an anti-Pythagorean ... I say it is because equation kabuki doesn't always represent reality.  I can come up with an equation, that is valid, and doesn't correspond with anything in nature.

If you happen to be less shallow and stupid than others ... remember that there is always a deeper and smarter person out there ... gunning for you ;-)

Present planetary observation, not theory ... demonstrates that there are countless planets out there, with quite a few of them hospitable for life similar to our own (liquid water based).  The numbers would say we are not alone by any reasonable estimate.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_2233.html

The existence of other planets with intelligent life on them (will inevitably be found) ... it pretty much sets back Abrahamic religion by several billion years, since they are based on the notion that only Earth has life on it (in fact based on the notion of a flat Earth at the center of the universe ... but we will slide by that particular problem).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Atheon

OK, I heard this one today:

1. Have you ever been in love? Yes? Then you know that love exists.
2. God is love.
3. Checkmate, atheists!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: 1liesalot on July 06, 2015, 09:19:58 AM
The other day, I heard someone preaching on TV about how the fact that the word "devil" turns into the word "evil" when you take the "D" away is proof that God exists.

Oh do fuck off.

actually ''evil'' etymologicly comes from ''eva''.
because she made adem to eat forbidden apple.

Termin

I hear this from Muslims most, usually in regards to intelligent design.

Basically, since man cannot make something, it must have been made by a divine power.
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Baruch

This is tied to creation "ex nihilo".  Man can only rearrange things, not create them "ex nihilo".  But if you don't need that metaphysics, then the argument is pretty weak.  You can posit that something has always been, and just evolves.  Big Bang not withstanding.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

KingJ

Quote from: JBCuzISaidSo on July 07, 2015, 01:12:17 PM
Even evil?

Free will is good, so the existence of evil is ironically 'not bad'.

Is God 'bad' for making such a great creation? One that is able to grasp the difference in motivation and desire from killing a fish instantly to letting it suffocate to death?

Gen 3:22 The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. ''Knowing'' evil does not make one evil. God chooses to not ''do'' evil.

Mike Cl

Quote from: KingJ on July 13, 2015, 08:27:50 AM
Free will is good, so the existence of evil is ironically 'not bad'.

Is God 'bad' for making such a great creation? One that is able to grasp the difference in motivation and desire from killing a fish instantly to letting it suffocate to death?

Gen 3:22 The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. ''Knowing'' evil does not make one evil. God chooses to not ''do'' evil.
Round and round she goes and where she stops, nobody knows.  This guy is not the Snake Oil Salesman, but his greatest customer!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

KingJ

Quote from: Munch on July 07, 2015, 08:01:59 PM
Saying everything is beautiful is a nice way of putting gods stamp on everything. What about bone cancer? Or a stillborn baby? Or facial tumours? Are they beautiful?

This reminds me of the conversation on drunken peasants, where g-man made the same argument of God creating all things and loving all people, for TJ to bring up starving third world children, only for g-man to demand they show him a starving child to prove they exist.

I would say something like the ebola virus is a proper argument. Cancer, still born babies and tumours are degression from centuries of incest and what not.

g-man demanded they show him starving children? Do you have a link for me?

KingJ

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 13, 2015, 08:46:23 AM
Round and round she goes and where she stops, nobody knows.  This guy is not the Snake Oil Salesman, but his greatest customer!

You would prefer God made you a monkey with no accountability? He is evil because you can choose to do evil?

Do you have thoughts to share or must I learn asap to overlook all your posts as simple minded personal insults?

Mike Cl

Quote from: KingJ on July 13, 2015, 09:09:24 AM
You would prefer God made you a monkey with no accountability? He is evil because you can choose to do evil?

Do you have thoughts to share or must I learn asap to overlook all your posts as simple minded personal insults?

KingJ

Quote from: Baruch on July 07, 2015, 07:52:45 PM
KingJ ... circular logic this.  1. I love to kill, so I should kill to maximize love? 2. If shit is beautiful, then you are channeling a maggot perhaps?  Please don't take this personally ... in nature everything has a purpose ... but I am biased ... I choose not to be a maggot, thanks.

1. Not sure which post of mine you qouting Baruch. A brain that sees murder as good is simply evidence of a brain in degression.

2. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. When we try and see the bigger picture we find that things don't just serve a purpose but rather that they are all very special creations.