I'm a new philosopher in the community.

Started by singulorum, June 26, 2015, 11:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: singulorum on June 27, 2015, 11:17:09 AM
It's historically proven that he was man, just a regular old crazy fellow who thought he was special.

~-Who is John Galt?-~
Really??!!  What history are you reading?  I suggest that it has been proven historically that he was a myth and not a man.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

singulorum

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 27, 2015, 11:34:23 AM
Really??!!  What history are you reading?  I suggest that it has been proven historically that he was a myth and not a man.
I am by no means a Christian. Here is a link I found. https://apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=10&article=876

~-Who is John Galt?-~

the_antithesis

Mike Cl

Quote from: singulorum on June 27, 2015, 11:38:28 AM
I am by no means a Christian. Here is a link I found. https://apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=10&article=876

~-Who is John Galt?-~
It has been shown that what Josephus said about Jesus was an addition added at a much later date by Christians who very much wanted Jesus to be a man.  Why would it be that a man of Jesus' reputation was not mentioned by any other historian of the period?  Might I suggest you google Richard Carrier--he has several works about the historicity of Jesus.  And google testimonium flavianum to get the lowdown about that Josephus reference to Jesus.  The author of the site you sent me to is akin to Josh McDowell, who is interested in furthering his Christian points than in studying real history. Also refer to Paul, the first writer of the NT--read his works first (not Mark, Matthew, Luke and John) and you will see that Jesus is of the spirit and not of the flesh. 

Solitary

Welcome aboard singulorum! There is not one shred of evidence that Jesus lived at the time He existed, only what is written 40-60 years after He died. How is that proof He existed?   
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

popsthebuilder

Pretty sure the Roman Empire destroyed any proof of his existence around the time of his death. Anyone who valued there life wouldn't have said the word Jesus for a good generation I'm sure.

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

AllPurposeAtheist

Jesus was my next door neighbor and still has my fucking lawn mower. . It quit working,  but he never returned it.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on June 27, 2015, 07:43:08 PM
Pretty sure the Roman Empire destroyed any proof of his existence around the time of his death. Anyone who valued there life wouldn't have said the word Jesus for a good generation I'm sure.

Why in the world would the Roman Empire destroy proof of or even care about Jesus?????  And then threatened to kill any who snitched???  What?????????????????????  Do you have any shred of proof of such drivel?  Any at all????  I'll answer for you, pops, you don't--but you want to believe in the Jesus myth so much that you will swallow any story at all and call it proof.  I suspect you are a bible reader.  So, I have a challenge for you--since Paul is the first writer of the NT, read his books first and then tell me what biographical information you have of him--and no fair referring the Synioptics, either.  I know--you are too busy. 

aitm

Quote from: popsthebuilder on June 27, 2015, 07:43:08 PM

well of course you are right. What with all the internet chatter and text messages and such ole jesus was a right hip hop mogul with billions following his twitter…..oh wait….
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

popsthebuilder

There people go assuming shit. I never read the New Testament really. Did read the Old Testament once while I was incarcerated for bs reasons. I do try to fit in time to study what I can easily assume are somewhat reputable text of old. It is obvious to me that the NT is rife with manipulation just as our society is today.

popsthebuilder

To be honest what you call the Jesus myth has little to do with my personal beliefs I just thought I'd try to help out a little.

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on June 27, 2015, 09:24:20 PM
To be honest what you call the Jesus myth has little to do with my personal beliefs I just thought I'd try to help out a little.

Sorry, pops, if I misread you.  I gather you are not christian.  And that is a good thing. :)  But you seemed so sure that Jesus was an actual man.  He was not. 

PickelledEggs

Solitary

Why should I believe the Jesus myth anymore than the many Pagan myths that are basically the same and changed a little bit on each telling?  :wall:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.