I'm a new philosopher in the community.

Started by singulorum, June 26, 2015, 11:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

singulorum

So I just downloaded this app maybe an hour ago. I was wondering how many objectivists, nihilists, subjectivists, existentialist, etc. there were.

Who is John Galt?

Mike Cl

Quote from: singulorum on June 26, 2015, 11:23:19 PM
So I just downloaded this app maybe an hour ago. I was wondering how many objectivists, nihilists, subjectivists, existentialist, etc. there were.

Who is John Galt?
New meat--errr, philosopher. :)  Welcome.  And an Ayn Rand fan, too!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

singulorum

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 27, 2015, 12:02:57 AM
New meat--errr, philosopher. :)  Welcome.  And an Ayn Rand fan, too!
Haha yes. I'm a new objectivist, so bare with me. I hope to learn more though.

Who is John Galt?

kilodelta

I'm just some random person without one of those philosophy tags.

Welcome.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

aitm

another philosopher? jes great, another person who can't change a tire or make a cookie…..

:P~~     welcome to the forum.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

the_antithesis

Baruch

John Galt is a fictional character ... embodied in a book.  Jesus is just like him.  I am a fictional character too ... but embodied in the Matrix.  I can contain within myself many fictional characters ... but they can't contain even one like me.  Ayn Rand was a real person, who had all those fictional characters within her, and had to let them all out ;-)  Reading something new, that challenges you ... that is something that gets one thinking new thoughts.  In reading, you are exposing yourself to the angels and devils within other people's skulls.

Aitm ... I can't change a tire or make a cookie ... but I can walk and chew gum at the same time ;-)

Something I am borrowing ...
Intellectual Arrogance - Art is understanding that reality does not dictate the limits of your imagination.  Wisdom is the understanding that reality is not dictated by the limits of your imagination.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

singulorum

singulorum

Quote from: Baruch on June 27, 2015, 10:17:35 AM
John Galt is a fictional character ... embodied in a book.  Jesus is just like him.  I am a fictional character too ... but embodied in the Matrix.  I can contain within myself many fictional characters ... but they can't contain even one like me.  Ayn Rand was a real person, who had all those fictional characters within her, and had to let them all out ;-)  Reading something new, that challenges you ... that is something that gets one thinking new thoughts.  In reading, you are exposing yourself to the angels and devils within other people's skulls.

Aitm ... I can't change a tire or make a cookie ... but I can walk and chew gum at the same time ;-)

Something I am borrowing ...
Intellectual Arrogance - Art is understanding that reality does not dictate the limits of your imagination.  Wisdom is the understanding that reality is not dictated by the limits of your imagination.
i know who John Galt is. That's my signature lol. Also, Jesus was a real person, whether he is the son of God or not is pretty obvious, but Jesus was real.

~-Who is John Galt?-~

Baruch

All fictional people are real, and all real people are fictional.  This is a false dichotomy.  Once J K Rowling thought him up ... Voldemort and Harry Potter are real ... the question is not real/unreal but ... what kind of real.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

singulorum

Quote from: Baruch on June 27, 2015, 10:41:28 AM
All fictional people are real, and all real people are fictional.  This is a false dichotomy.  Once J K Rowling thought him up ... Voldemort and Harry Potter are real ... the question is not real/unreal but ... what kind of real.
Except that Jesus was a real, living person.

~-Who is John Galt?-~

Mike Cl

Quote from: singulorum on June 27, 2015, 10:33:37 AM
i know who John Galt is. That's my signature lol. Also, Jesus was a real person, whether he is the son of God or not is pretty obvious, but Jesus was real.

~-Who is John Galt?-~
Okay, I gotta bite!  No, singulorum, Jesus was not a man--most emphatically not!  He is a myth.  I have not a shred of doubt in my mind about it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on June 27, 2015, 10:17:35 AM

I love to dance with the angels and devils, then.  Love to read.  And love sci-fi because it can go anywhere--from pure adventure to deeply philosophical.  Loved Atlas Shrugged in college.  Fountainhead not so much.  Anthem was almost as good as Atlas Shrugged.  Also loved Stranger in a Strange Land.  Turns out I love Stranger in a Strange Land much more. :)  But then I also loved the John Carter of Mars series, as well; especially the Chessmen of Mars.  I even made the amended chess game and talked a guy into playing it with me. :) 

singulorum

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 27, 2015, 11:12:09 AM
Okay, I gotta bite!  No, singulorum, Jesus was not a man--most emphatically not!  He is a myth.  I have not a shred of doubt in my mind about it.
It's historically proven that he was man, just a regular old crazy fellow who thought he was special.

~-Who is John Galt?-~

the_antithesis