What is the most ignorant thing a Christian has told you?

Started by MagetheEntertainer, February 26, 2015, 06:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on March 07, 2015, 10:59:59 AM
i dont think sympathy and empathy are strong enough to account for the actions of some individuals

That you cannot conceive or believe of it has no bearing on the case.

Your entire argument is based on your preconceived notions of how the world should work and your inability to deal with it when it does not conform to your ill-informed expectations and that explaining that discrepancy with this god-thing.

Contemporary Protestant

i know people dont give because the fact that so many people dont have enough, and im not talking just money, im talking about time

i dont identify with any sect in particular, i have a tendency to see tradition and ceremony as a waste, which is why i am not a catholic

if i have to don a lable, i most closely resemble the Quakers

sorry you feel that way about buddy, but i do not see humanity as innatley good, because if people had the natural capacity to be empathetic creatures they would be that way,

you are correct, i cannot concieve of a universe where there is no differece betweeen people like Stalin and people like Ghandi or Nelson Mandhela

i am not saying that christianity is that difference (hence the persons i chose) but i think there must be something

Mermaid

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on March 07, 2015, 10:59:59 AM
i dont think sympathy and empathy are strong enough to account for the actions of some individuals
if people were so sympathetic and empathetic, then why do so few give to charity
What are you basing this assertion on, that so few give to charity?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Contemporary Protestant

the fact that there is enough resources to accomplish alot of humanitarian projects but charities remain under funded

for example, a local soup kitchen i know of, is always in danger of running out

the fact that some people in the United States starve while others live in mansions

this is why i see the world as cold and unjust

the_antithesis

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on March 07, 2015, 11:12:23 AM
sorry you feel that way about buddy, but i do not see humanity as innatley good, because if people had the natural capacity to be empathetic creatures they would be that way,

Human beings are empathic creatures, we are just not indiscriminately empathic. Try reading this article. It's a humor article, but like most well-done humor, it also communicates a point.

leo

But CP it doesn't bother you that protestantism exist after the 16th century ? All protestant sects are man made religions. ( like all religions by the way. ) . The first division of christians came in the 5th century when oriental orthodox christians separate themselves with the rest of christianity. The second division came in the 10th century when roman catholics and eastern orthodox broke away from each other. Then in the 16th century protestantism is created with over  30,000 denominations and interpretations of the bible. Protestants accuse roman catholic of inventing traditions. This is true but they can't see the irony .  Protestant sects are inventing new shit all the time .

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Contemporary Protestant

i will read it

Leo, in all honesty, i dont care about any traditions
the protestants still read the same text (minus some) that catholics read

and in truth; i do not think the wine is jesus' blood and i am not asking a dead woman to pray for my sins

leo

You don't believe the wine and bread is the literal blood and body of christ because you are protestant. For the first 15 centuries of christianity ,  all christians believe in this literal shit.  Oriental orthodox christians , eastern orthodox christians and roman catholics still believe in this literal blood and body of christ thing.

Contemporary Protestant

yes and i think being transfixed on any tradition like communion is a waste of resources. if a person is concerned about how they consume bread the right way or not, they might turn a blind eye to other things.

Say i consider myself a good person because i do 1000 hail marys a day, i do not think ritual would excuse any bad behavior my part. which is why i personally focus more on how i treat others and my own actions

leo

The point is that you  believe in made up BS. Protestantism is a recent phenomenon in the history of Christianity. Your interpretation is irrevelant. Protestants are basically saying that their interpretation of Christianity is better than the Christians of the first 15 centuries . VERY ARROGANT.

Mermaid

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on March 07, 2015, 11:19:27 AM
the fact that there is enough resources to accomplish alot of humanitarian projects but charities remain under funded

for example, a local soup kitchen i know of, is always in danger of running out

the fact that some people in the United States starve while others live in mansions

this is why i see the world as cold and unjust
That does not mean few give to charity. It means needs are not met. Those are different things.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Contemporary Protestant

i dont think of my way as better, i simply reject alot of the practices of my catholic neighbors

i dont see them as different but i am called a fake and heretic, i dont see that as me being arrogant

furthermore, i dont see age as contributing to the validity of a claim

for example, if i said child molestation isnt okay, it shouldnt matter when i said it

if 1% of people hold majority of the wealth, i would call that lack of charity

Mermaid

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on March 07, 2015, 11:59:41 AM
i dont think of my way as better, i simply reject alot of the practices of my catholic neighbors

i dont see them as different but i am called a fake and heretic, i dont see that as me being arrogant

furthermore, i dont see age as contributing to the validity of a claim

for example, if i said child molestation isnt okay, it shouldnt matter when i said it

if 1% of people hold majority of the wealth, i would call that lack of charity
I think you are a good guy. I am sure I always sound argumentative with you, though.

The rich aren't rich and the poor poor because of lack of charity. This broadening disparity is a serious problem that won't be solved by charity.

Contemporary Protestant

i honestly think if the rich opened their hands, it would solve plenty

leo

CP I disagree. WHEN YOU STUDY HOW THE NEW RELIGIONS ARE INVENTED, YOU WILL GET A GOOD PICTURE HOW ALL RELIGIONS WERE INVENTED.