I See Your Kevin Sorbo And Raise you a Kirk Cameron!

Started by stromboli, August 28, 2014, 12:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/08/27/hollywood-actor-says-his-new-movie-will-hammer-political-correctness-and-rile-atheist-activists/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=story&utm_campaign=ShareButtons

QuoteActor Kirk Cameron is taking political correctness to task this fall with a new movie that aims to deflate arguments regularly made against Christmas, while simultaneously pushing back against atheist activists’ annual attacks on the holiday.

In “Saving Christmas,” Cameron plans to tackle some of the most controversial and disputed issues surrounding the celebration of Jesus Christ’s birthday â€" claims that he says have had a profound impact on the way believers and nonbelievers alike view the Christian celebration.

“We take on some of the most commonly parroted myths about the origins of Christmas.”
And while he has no idea exactly how atheists will respond to the feature film, which is slated to open November 14 in theaters across America, he predicts they likely won’t be too elated with its storyline.

“I assume they’re going to get frustrated to see some of their best arguments deflated by this movie, because we take on some of the most commonly parroted myths about the origins of Christmas,” Cameron exclusively told TheBlaze Tuesday.

Unlike some of his more recent projects, “Saving Christmas” isn’t a documentary. It’s a comedic narrative that weaves together educational elements that, through a character-driven storyline, address these common complaints and critiques.

Cameron said some of the claims that will be addressed in the film include: the notion that Christmas is really a church co-opting of winter solstice celebrations, that Jesus was not born on December 25, that Christmas trees are pagan and that consumerism is overshadowing the true reason for the season.

“It’s a scripted story about a guy named Christian White who represents the typical white Christian male and he’s got a bad case of religious bah humbugs,” Cameron said. “He is just deflating his wife’s entire Christmas party because he has come to believe that everything we’re doing at Christmas to celebrate is wrong.”
The movie includes reenactments of the original Christmas tree story, with portions and scripted scenes showing the nativity and the Council of Nicea, a pivotal event in the history of Christianity.

Cameron, who is also one of the film’s stars, told TheBlaze that he decided to make “Saving Christmas” to celebrate the spirit of the holiday season, while also pushing back against those who wish to “snuff out [the holiday's] holy root.”

“Christmas is probably my favorite time of year,” he said. “It seems to be the time of year when even cranky, grumpy people seem to be touched by the spirit of generosity and kindness and brotherly love and I know that that ultimately stems from the true reason for the season, which is Christ.”

Cameron continued, “It’s obvious that there is a deliberate attempt to snuff out the holy root that has produced all this wonderful Christmas-time fruit. I think it’s about time someone spoke out and made a movie about this.”

The “Growing Pains” actor, who has gone on to direct and produce numerous faith-themed films, said that atheist activists’ attempts to diminish the true nature of the holiday by taking aim at nativities and other symbols of faith amounts to political correctness run amok.

“[It is] offensive to 90 percent of people in our country who want to see nativity scenes and who know the birth of the Christ child is the fundamental root of Christianity, which is the ideology that built this country,” Cameron said.

“Saving Christmas” isn’t an “angry rant about the culture war,” he said. Instead, it’s a celebration of the holiday and of the Christian faith.

“I think that we are much better served celebrating the things that we love and believe in rather than ranting about those who hate what we believe in,” Cameron said. “And so this movie is a celebration and an encouragement for people to dive headfirst into all of the joy and celebration that Christmas deserves.”

“Saving Christmas,” which will be distributed by Samuel Goldwyn Films, is one of three movies announced in a new agreement between his production company, CAMFAM Studios, and Provident Films.

Information on the names and subject matter of the subsequent films has not been released, though they are expected to come out in 2015 and 2016, respectively.

“Christianity … is the ideology that built this country.”
“I’ve been looking for a home for my projects for awhile now. We have big plans at CAMFAM Studios, and wanted to have a home base,” Cameron said in a press release announcing the partnership. “The relationship with Provident Films has been developing over the past months, and we realized they were the natural choice.”

Gird up your Saturnalia togas! Guard your Festivus poles! The Kirkster is on a rampage!  :axe:

Holy shitsky, Batman! the Kirkster is gonna piss off all the atheists with the truth about the celebration of his mythical savior!
I might have to (eventually) watch this turkey just for the lols. Lord a mighty, what a dumbass. Christian White? Does he even understand the ironic stupidity of that name? Wow. I am very sure that every atheist blogger on the planet is sharpening their weapons for this one. It's time like these I'm happy to be alive.

Green Bottle

Another great post Stromboli, and i will be waiting wi baited breath for it to reach these shores....
So that i can fkn avoid it like the plague.         
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

stromboli

Quote from: Green Bottle on August 28, 2014, 12:41:50 PM
Another great post Stromboli, and i will be waiting wi baited breath for it to reach these shores....
So that i can fkn avoid it like the plague.         

Wish I was there to join you.  :biggrin:

And once again, my hope that Scotland becomes the free nation it deserves to be.  :clap:

Solitary

Think about that! The weather? Good post Strom, and I hope Scotland becomes a free nation too. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mister Agenda

Hmm. I wonder if they'll ever start running their arguments by the atheists BEFORE they declare we'll be flummoxed by them? If the film were to prove the inherent Christianity of the holiday, it would only reinforce the fact that it is unConstitutional to use government resources to promote religious Christmas displays.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

stromboli

I love Greta Christina. definitely want her take on it. And the fact that elements paganism were included is pretty much beyond question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas

QuoteThe celebratory customs associated in various countries with Christmas have a mix of pagan, pre-Christian, Christian, and secular themes and origins.[26] Popular modern customs of the holiday include gift giving, Christmas music and caroling, an exchange of Christmas cards, church celebrations, a special meal, and the display of various Christmas decorations, including Christmas trees, Christmas lights, nativity scenes, garlands, wreaths, mistletoe, and holly. In addition, several closely related and often interchangeable figures, known as Santa Claus, Father Christmas, Saint Nicholas, and Christkind, are associated with bringing gifts to children during the Christmas season and have their own body of traditions and lore.[

I have no doubt the Kirkster will gloss over that part.

Mr.Obvious

So nice of mr. Cameron to give us all a gift for the holidays; who doesn't enjoy a good laugh at christmass-time?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

BarkAtTheMoon

QuoteIt’s a comedic narrative that weaves together educational elements that, through a character-driven storyline, address these common complaints and critiques.

Yeah....sounds like a real laugh riot.

QuoteAnd while he has no idea exactly how atheists will respond to the feature film, which is slated to open November 14 in theaters across America, he predicts they likely won’t be too elated with its storyline.
Let me help you out Kirk, the response from atheists will likely be the loud smack of thousands of simultaneous facepalms.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

Brian37

Pussy blocked me from his page.

Anywho "Christianity is the ideology that built this country".

NO DIPSHIT, secularism and common law did, which is why you see "No religious test" in the oath of office.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Hydra009

QuoteCameron said some of the claims that will be addressed in the film include: the notion that Christmas is really a church co-opting of winter solstice celebrations, that Jesus was not born on December 25, that Christmas trees are pagan and that consumerism is overshadowing the true reason for the season.
Umm...I think he got the real stuff confused with the myths, because all those statements are accurate, afaik.

Christmas is definitely a Christianized version of various pagan holidays.
No one really knows when Jesus was born or even if there was a real person behind that story at all.
The Christmas tree was definitely a pagan thing that was also Christianized.
And I thought it was pretty much uncontested that this holiday is heavily commercialized.

Also, I hope he mentions how Puritans outlawed Christmas and the flagging holiday was revived by Charles Dickens as a secular holiday of compassion and family.  Also, I hope he says that wreathes, holly, and mistletoe were all used by pre-Christian Europeans.

Green Bottle

Quote from: Solitary on August 28, 2014, 12:52:41 PM
Think about that! The weather? Good post Strom, and I hope Scotland becomes a free nation too. Solitary
Quote from: stromboli on August 28, 2014, 12:45:44 PM
Wish I was there to join you.  :biggrin:

And once again, my hope that Scotland becomes the free nation it deserves to be.  :clap:

Thank u both for that , only a couple of weeks to go till the vote an ill post in the politics section soon....cheers           
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Munch

Great post, seems we've got another washed up celebrity with more mouth then sense trying to owe himself to christianity.

So Cameron doesn't want atheists celebrating Saturnalia then? I'll tell you what I'll do mr cameron, I'll celebrating it, show all the fun I have with my family for christmas, take a load of photos of the meal and the presents and watching christmas movies and getting drunk.. and then i'll take a photo of the shit I take the day after from all the turkey and trimmings, and post it to your twitter account ^^

Really though, if this douche goes ahead with making a movie whos primary aim is to attack atheists and try to create the message that 'Christmas isn't for you!' if he wants to be separatist, by all means let him, it'll just be more fuel for roasting these sand worshipers.
You even have pope Francis having yelled out for atheists to join in celebrating christmas with faith groups. Not that I give a shit what the head of an order that hordes riches from the poor says.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

aitm

Quote“It’s a scripted story about a guy named Christian White who represents the typical white Christian male

gee, what an original thought,,I wonder if kirk went to the Stan Lee academy for naming characters.....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Quote from: aitm on August 28, 2014, 10:24:26 PM
gee, what an original thought,,I wonder if kirk went to the Stan Lee academy for naming characters.....

Lol. First thought that came to mind was "christian white privelege" and whatever priveleged white xtian The Kirkster can come up with. If this is the brain trust of hollywood xtianity, we aren't going to be overwhelmed intellectually.

Shiranu

Quote from: aitm on August 28, 2014, 10:24:26 PM

God damn it, I just copy-pasted that line. That is some Academy Award winning character creativity there.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur