News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: trdsf on March 31, 2021, 07:15:38 PM
You mean like this?  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4_YyaPt0-I

Aye, I'll admit to stealing the joke from that compilation :p
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

I've been on a reality tv binge lately, and I've gotta say, this is an underappreciated segment of American television.  In particular, I've found Desperate Housewives to be a fascinating dive into power dynamics and group psychology.  Really gripping, personable stuff.  You can easily put yourself in these people's shoes and empathize with the great problems in their lives.  Very touching.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 01, 2021, 03:21:39 PM
I've been on a reality tv binge lately, and I've gotta say, this is an underappreciated segment of American television.  In particular, I've found Desperate Housewives to be a fascinating dive into power dynamics and group psychology.  Really gripping, personable stuff.  You can easily put yourself in these people's shoes and empathize with the great problems in their lives.  Very touching.

"Desperate Housewives" isn't reality TV, particularly since a dead housewife is the narrator. Is this multilayered sarcasm?

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 01, 2021, 03:21:39 PM

The only reality shows I have ever liked were The Big Break on The Golf Channel, The Great British Bake Off on the BBC, and Blown Away on Netflix.  The common thread between those is that your actual skill has to carry the day, not playing mind games with the other competitors.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 01, 2021, 04:03:53 PM
"Desperate Housewives" isn't reality TV, particularly since a dead housewife is the narrator. Is this multilayered sarcasm?
I'm so in tune with the "genre" and the shows have made such an impact on me, that I make little/no distinction between individual shows and consider them all part of an expansive Housewivesverse.

Hydra009

Smiling Tiger and the Winter Soldier episode 3

[spoiler]Madripoor.  I'm going to tell my kids that this was Cyberpunk 2077.

Sharon is a teensy bit different than I remember.  Quite the knife scrapper, as well.

Latvia.  Sound vaguely similar to Latveria.  Do I sense impending Doom?[/spoiler]

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 01, 2021, 07:22:25 PM
I'm so in tune with the "genre" and the shows have made such an impact on me, that I make little/no distinction between individual shows and consider them all part of an expansive Housewivesverse.

America needs Real Housewives: Infinity War.

Deidre32

I want to like “A Discovery of Witches” because it received great reviews but it’s a bit Harry Potter-ish. I like the Harry Potter stories but it’s just not what I was expecting. Anyone see this? Should I give it more time?
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Cassia

Quote from: Deidre32 on April 10, 2021, 01:21:26 PM
I want to like “A Discovery of Witches” because it received great reviews but it’s a bit Harry Potter-ish. I like the Harry Potter stories but it’s just not what I was expecting. Anyone see this? Should I give it more time?
The first episode was certainly a good witch watch....almost signed up for more..

Deidre32

I will give it another try, then. Thanks! :)
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Hydra009

Falcon and the Winter Soldier episode 4

No spoilers because this is more of a general issue that Marvel's been exploring for decades.

Are superhumans (people whose physical abilities are beyond what is normally possible for humans) inherently a bad thing?  Because such powers inherently create Haves and Have-nots.  Or phrased differently, an ubermensch class and an untermensch class.  Wouldn't the former subjugate or destroy the latter?  Because historically, that seems to be broadly the case.  And that's just with a technological advantage.

Let's take the classic example, the ring of Gyges.  It makes the wearer invisible.  What would the average person do with such power?  I have my own guesses - petty theft and voyeurism for starters, maybe graduating up to far more serious crimes, depending on the person.  If a friend of yours or neighbor had the ring, do you think they'd use it virtuously?  Would you?

In fiction, superhumans generally fall into one of three roles - Destroyer (self-explanatory, super evil), Conqueror (uses power to dominate others - Doctor Doom, Magneto, etc.  Also evil), and last but not least, Protector (uses power to selflessly protect the powerless - every superhero ever)

How many of your peers do you think would take option #1 or #2 if no one could stop them?  Because I've seen people mistreat animals and kids simply because they could.  If a similar power disparity exists between people..such power it seems, is inherently corrupting.  Or perhaps it merely brings to the surface what was already there.

I would like to believe that such powers would allow otherwise normal people to do great things to improve our world.  And certainly some would.  What percentage of people are naturally kind?  And which percentage is good at seeming to be kind?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 10, 2021, 11:24:45 PM
Falcon and the Winter Soldier episode 4

No spoilers because this is more of a general issue that Marvel's been exploring for decades.

Are superhumans (people whose physical abilities are beyond what is normally possible for humans) inherently a bad thing?  Because such powers inherently create Haves and Have-nots.  Or phrased differently, an ubermensch class and an untermensch class.  Wouldn't the former subjugate or destroy the latter?  Because historically, that seems to be broadly the case.  And that's just with a technological advantage.

Let's take the classic example, the ring of Gyges.  It makes the wearer invisible.  What would the average person do with such power?  I have my own guesses - petty theft and voyeurism for starters, maybe graduating up to far more serious crimes, depending on the person.  If a friend of yours or neighbor had the ring, do you think they'd use it virtuously?  Would you?

In fiction, superhumans generally fall into one of three roles - Destroyer (self-explanatory, super evil), Conquerer (use power to dominate others - Doctor Doom, Magneto, etc.  Also evil), and last but not least, Protector (uses power to selflessly protect the powerless - every superhero ever)

How many of your peers do you think would take option #1 or #2 if no one could stop them?  Because I've seen people mistreat animals and kids simply because they could.  If a similar power disparity exists between people..such power it seems, is inherently corrupting.  Or perhaps it merely brings to the surface what was already there.

I would like to believe that such powers would allow otherwise normal people to do great things to improve our world.  And certainly some would.  What percentage of people are naturally kind?  And which percentage is good at seeming to be kind?

In My Hero Academia, 80% of people are born with a superpower (called a "quirk" in the show). Not all powers are equal, of course. One person might have glowy skin, and the next is basically superman. But the powers starting showing up suddenly, without explanation. The result was chaos. Technological progress slowed to a crawl, as the entire planet had to adjust to this change. We don't know exactly what year it in the show, but it has probably been a few hundred years since present day, and they mostly have the same technology we have today in the real world. They had to create a new police force from powerful and (presumably) virtuous people to combat the rampant chaos.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 10, 2021, 11:56:42 PM
In My Hero Academia, 80% of people are born with a superpower (called a "quirk" in the show). Not all powers are equal, of course. One person might have glowy skin, and the next is basically superman. But the powers starting showing up suddenly, without explanation. The result was chaos. Technological progress slowed to a crawl, as the entire planet had to adjust to this change. We don't know exactly what year it in the show, but it has probably been a few hundred years since present day, and they mostly have the same technology we have today in the real world. They had to create a new police force from powerful and (presumably) virtuous people to combat the rampant chaos.

I find they should've jumped to 99.9% people having superpowers. I always got the idea the people around deku, as well as he himself, regarded him a as an oddity for not having powers.
But one in 5 is a large enough subgroup to not be that surprising.
Also, all his schoolmates had powers, and I know there were more than 5 people in his original class before he got one for all.
Just odd you know. I know for the rest of the show of course they are mostly going to meet characters with powers. It's in the nature of a superpower high school.  But it always feels like they just misnumbered the amount of non-supers and they could just easily have rectified something like that.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

I started watching Star Trek:  The Next Generation, which I have not watched in years and years, so I remember very little.  I just finished Season 1 Episode 11:  "The Big Goodbye", which deserves the an award of something or other for the best something or other of a Star Trek Episode. 

"Jean Luc Picard stars as Dixon Hill, a fictional Private Detective in 1941" now playing at the Holodeck Theater in Downtown..(somewhere near a harbor, of course).  It's charming fun.  I was on the edge of my seat laughing while I was wondering what diabolical fate was awaiting Dixon and his crew. Dr. Crusher gets roped into playing the dame because every private eye in 1941 needs a dame, but you know, the classy kind of dame, not some cheap floozy, and she seems to be throwing herself into the part.