News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Titans on HBO streaming.  Never heard of this before.  I just finished Episode 1, and it has my attention.  Does it sustain the same level of interest going forward?

SGOS

Also on HBO:

Love Life.  I binged watched the entire 1st year, which is as far as it seems to go at this time.  Follows a young millennial through the trails and tribulations of early dating and relationships.  Enjoyable, and it strikes a very familiar chord, not always comfortably.

drunkenshoe

I'm watching Upload, right now. I liked it.

"Condom size dispute. Aisle 4." LOL
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

trdsf

My brother gave me a complete set of Rick and Morty for the holiday, so I guess that's next up.  I've honestly never watched it before.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on January 07, 2021, 10:57:32 AM
My brother gave me a complete set of Rick and Morty for the holiday, so I guess that's next up.  I've honestly never watched it before.
You're in for a treat.

Imagine Doc Brown and Marty from Back to the Future go on various adventures - essentially scifi-mashups.  Except these familiar scifi tropes are deconstructed - Doc is kind of a POS, Marty is scarred for life, etc.

The first couple episodes are kinda rough and this show isn't the easiest to get into, but I guarantee you that there are amazing payoffs down the road.  Please stick with it till you finish the 6th episode of the first season.  If you're not hooked by then, then it's not something you'll like.  But if you like that, it's all gravy from there.

drunkenshoe

Great, now I will have to have another run. It is good for mental health though. He is my most favourite alcoholic of all times. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

GSOgymrat

The Queen's Gambit is excellent. Acting, story, themes, style, soundtrack-- it's all there.

https://youtu.be/CDrieqwSdgI

Blackleaf

Watched the first two seasons of Cobra Kai on Netflix at my parents' house today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwwxNbtK6Y

The title sounds like a G.I. Joe character, so I didn't realize what it was. Apparently, it's a sequel to the original Karate Kid movies. It's set 34 years after, and stars the same actors who return to their roles. I was not expecting it to be so good. At first, I thought it was just going to rehash the plot to the first movie, basically serving as Karate Kid's The Force Awakens. But every time I think I see where it's headed, it does something completely different instead. There are no clear good guys or bad guys. Everyone is some shade of grey, and that fits the show's message very well. It's hilarious, suspenseful, and dramatic. There are some parts where it starts to drag a bit in season 2, where it seems like characters refuse to learn their lessons, and some plot points seem to repeat what was done in season 1. Even those weaknesses didn't take away from my enjoyment of it, though. I highly recommend it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 07, 2021, 09:27:27 PM
The Queen's Gambit is excellent. Acting, story, themes, style, soundtrack-- it's all there.

Yeah, I liked it too. But is it just me, or have you noticed that the general reception of this series is about chess, playing and winning the game? I don't think it is a story about chess as a game or chess playing...etc.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 08, 2021, 03:39:40 AM
Yeah, I liked it too. But is it just me, or have you noticed that the general reception of this series is about chess, playing and winning the game? I don't think it is a story about chess as a game or chess playing...etc.

What makes it better than average is there are several themes that are integrated. It's ostensibly about chess but to me the deeper themes were trauma, genius, addiction, and isolation. It's also about the roles of women at the time, particularly through her relationship with her mentally ill biological mother and "stuck" adoptive mother. Another theme I appreciated was that her natural talent only gets her so far, she has to work hard and accept help from other people, both in chess and in life, to reach her full potential. It feels like a true story, which is the hallmark of good fiction.

drunkenshoe

Yeah, agreed. I've read somewhere that the writer of the book was a chess player himself. That could be a reason for that good integration in the original source.

I just looked, I didn't know he is also the writer of the Color of Money. Interesting. I don't know about other well known ones that were made into movies. Apparently, more than a few.

Hydra009

Watching the latest season of RWBY and the intro alone has me shook.  Most of their intros are fairly upbeat.  This one is like if the Red Wedding and the Westworld intro had a baby and raised it in a bombed-out hovel in post-WWI France with sharp knives and UXOs scattered all over the floor.

Every scene, I feel scared that someone's going to buy the farm.  Such a weird development for a show that initially seemed very tame.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 09, 2021, 08:06:11 PM
... This one is like if the Red Wedding and the Westworld intro had a baby and raised it in a bombed-out hovel in post-WWI France with sharp knives and UXOs scattered all over the floor. ...

Lol, I'd like to see that?

Hydra009

I may be overselling it a bit, but it's pretty ominous imagery combined with a few lyrics that cut pretty deep.  Quite the troubling portent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et_zdsWO0Ks

Last time we had lyrics like that, it culminated in a wham episode that basically scarred the fandom.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 10, 2021, 12:17:00 AM
I may be overselling it a bit, but it's pretty ominous imagery combined with a few lyrics that cut pretty deep.  Quite the troubling portent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et_zdsWO0Ks

Last time we had lyrics like that, it culminated in a wham episode that basically scarred the fandom.

Still somewhere in season 7.
Rwby is captivating me less, I must sadly admit.
I'll watch the occasional episode but feel nu rush to catch up :(
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.