News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

I suspect the finale will involve the targets of their hits showing up for revenge. Maybe the imps will get killed themselves, and they'll end up in the after-after life.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 06, 2020, 12:40:35 AMI suspect the finale will involve the targets of their hits showing up for revenge. Maybe the imps will get killed themselves, and they'll end up in the after-after life.
We technically don't even know if hell's denizens can actually die.

[spoiler]Angelic spears are the only thing that we know of that can permanently kill people in hell.  It's unclear if Neverborn (sentient beings born in hell rather than the material universe - Imps, Hellhounds, Charlie - are targeted in these angelic purges.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

And before I forget, anyone who liked Helluva Boss should do themselves a favor and check out Hazbin Hotel (they take place in the same universe at roughly the same time!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5xo9T0rpfI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkFDZ0LexME

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 06, 2020, 12:56:05 AM
And before I forget, anyone who liked Helluva Boss should do themselves a favor and check out Hazbin Hotel (they take place in the same universe at roughly the same time!)
I think I like that better than Helluva Boss... thanks for the head's-up!
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on November 06, 2020, 05:28:57 PMI think I like that better than Helluva Boss... thanks for the head's-up!
Helluva Boss is intended purely as an episodic black comedy, Hazbin Hotel is more of a serial morality play - of key importance is a character's moral alignment and whether or not it is improving or worsening.  Two totally different shows.

Hazbin is viewed more as the flagship show, so they're likely to get the big character arcs.  But Helluva has a child being murdered and dismembered, so Helluva has that on them.  (I'm almost certain Loona lied about him being the actual target, she just wanted him dead after he insulted her)

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 06, 2020, 12:45:37 AM
We technically don't even know if hell's denizens can actually die.

[spoiler]Angelic spears are the only thing that we know of that can permanently kill people in hell.  It's unclear if Neverborn (sentient beings born in hell rather than the material universe - Imps, Hellhounds, Charlie - are targeted in these angelic purges.[/spoiler]

Well, it kinda ruins the tension of being hunted by a family of psychokillers if the imps will just end up back in Hell anyway. lol

[Spoiler]Angelic spears? I don't remember those coming up. I might have just missed it.[/spoiler]

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 06, 2020, 10:02:01 PM
Helluva Boss is intended purely as an episodic black comedy, Hazbin Hotel is more of a serial morality play - of key importance is a character's moral alignment and whether or not it is improving or worsening.  Two totally different shows.

Hazbin is viewed more as the flagship show, so they're likely to get the big character arcs.  But Helluva has a child being murdered and dismembered, so Helluva has that on them.  (I'm almost certain Loona lied about him being the actual target, she just wanted him dead after he insulted her)

Well, the kid was kind of a dick. Doesn't seem that hard to believe someone would have gotten sick of him. lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 07, 2020, 01:37:21 AMWell, it kinda ruins the tension of being hunted by a family of psychokillers if the imps will just end up back in Hell anyway. lol
I mean, the mom's stated goal was sending them back to Satan.  For a mortal, she has a surprising accurate awareness of the situation in Hell.

QuoteWell, the kid was kind of a dick. Doesn't seem that hard to believe someone would have gotten sick of him. lol
Which makes me think the kid went to hell.  I'm going to be on the lookout for him making a cameo later.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 05, 2020, 11:04:05 PM
This dropped on Halloween. Also, if you haven't seen the pilot, watch that first, because this is basically episode 2, even though it's labeled as episode 1.

I love it. Thanks!
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

I've been watching Primal, and after an adjustment, I now thoroughly enjoy it.

At first, I thought it was a semi-naturalistic take on humans living with dinosaurs.  And so a lot of the less-realistic aspects of the show would bug me: humans apparently eating only meat, predators fighting to the death (unless desperate, they normally back off if their prey harms them in any way), brutal attacks rarely resulting in any appreciable injury (the protagonists will bleed tremendously in one second and then be a-okay the next)

Over time, I found the episodes to be more magical in nature, and have adjusted my expectations accordingly.  This is more of a sword-and-sorcery setting like Conan the Barbarian where characters are larger than life and blood loss is more of a stylistic choice than actual injury.

That said, I absolutely love the artwork and overall aesthetic.  It's certainly true to its namesake.  If you're looking for some over-the-top prehistoric action scenes, this is the place.

And finally, that Plague of Madness episode gave me the heebie-jeebies.  It's certainly emblematic of how this year is turning out!

drunkenshoe

I have been watching the good old Buffy. And you know what, it keeps passing with flying colours. Talk about good influence, provoking questions about the basic stuff about life, and the complexity... I knew it got old good but didn't guess it's stayed this fucking superior compared to what we've come to know as 'teen shows'.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 16, 2020, 12:36:11 PMI have been watching the good old Buffy. And you know what, it keeps passing with flying colours. Talk about good influence, provoking questions about the basic stuff about life, and the complexity... I knew it got old good but didn't guess it's stayed this fucking superior compared to what we've come to know as 'teen shows'.
When I watched Buffy, I was so disappointed that my high school had nothing like The Bronze (basically a gigantic living room with live music but is somehow still quiet enough to have conversations.  And afaik, it had no cover charge, which is far too good to be true).

I really liked the premise (high school as literally hellish is a great metaphor), but the characters really sold me - the core cast of Buffy, Giles, Willow, and Xander had great interactions.  Angel was an amazing villain (his murder of you know who was heartbreaking, like the late 90s equivalent of the Red Wedding).  I found Spike annoying, but he was decent enough comic relief.  Those first three seasons were amazeballs.

But over time, that show just kept adding and adding characters until it got bloated with them.  There's the 4 main cast + Spike + Buffy's love interest + Xander's love interest + Willow's love interest + 2nd watcher + 2nd slayer + that paramilitary organization + several others I'm sure I'm forgetting.  Team Good gets doubled if not tripled at points, losing a lot of focus.

The show kinda lost me in the last few seasons.

Hydra009

I'm rewatching Buffy and The Bronze does indeed charge a cover fee.  A tiny one, though from the looks of it.  Buffy hands the doorman just one bill, so probably $5.

And it looks more like an actual club in the premier, very sparsely decorated.  It must've become more of a hang-out place later on and they possibly got rid of the cover charge as their business model changed.

Hydra009

Do you like generic high fantasy?
Do you think flowing gowns are appropriate hiking attire?
Do you like good acting combined with bad CGI?
Do you like your fantasy combat with ramping? (alternating slow motion and sped up footage)
Are you lowkey into full-body leather outfits and BDSM?  I mean really, really, really into it?  (no judgment)
Is your deepest, darkest desire to see Cordelia from Buffy as a dominatrix?  (again, no judgment)

Well, then turn that dial to ABC and watch some Legend of the Seeker!  It's fun for the whole family!

drunkenshoe

I'm still watching Buffy. But no time to binge. But I'd like to wrtite something on it later when I finish it.

drunkenshoe

Good Girls. I have looked at a few than thought 'myeh...we know this' but then forgot abpout it and then started again. Now at the middle of the 2nd season, it is pretty good. LOL Underrated even. Wrong title though, nobody's gonna try it with that one.