News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

Quote from: trdsf on April 11, 2020, 04:44:03 PM
I generally look askance at most book adaptations -- the number of times it's been done wrong vastly outnumbers the number of times it's been done right.

One adaptation that I found better than the book was Gone Girl. I hated the book but watched the movie on cable and it wasn't bad.

Sal1981

Westworld season 4 season 3  episode 5 was OK. I hope it ties in with the 6th episode this Monday, because there have been some loose ends.

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on April 15, 2020, 08:30:38 PM
Westworld season 4 episode 5 was OK.
1) Posted from the future?  Season 4 (far-future?) might be pretty interesting!  :P

2) I beg you to post in the Westworld thread.  It's lonely af in there.  I realize a lot of people don't have hbo and/or aren't into scifi as much as me, but it's too popular a show to not have watercooler discussion.  At the very least, we can talk about the avowed atheist tertiary character, lol.

3) I kinda liked it.  It had its faults, but it was basically like a mini-movie and a hell of a lot of stuff happened.

Sal1981

Watched Black Mirror episode Black Museum. Astonishing what cruelty & malice people can invent.

Hydra009

The latest episode of Star Wars Clone Wars is better than all the Star Wars movies combined.  Change my mind.

LoriPinkAngel

My son and I have been binge watching the series "Barry."  It is a dark comedy about a former Marine who became a hitman who wants to get out of it and he joined an acting class but he keeps having to kill people.

Munch

Mum, who I'm in lockdown with, likes watching a british series called Father Brown.

filmed in the cotswald, set in the made up town of Kembleford in the 1950s, its about the local priest who solves crimes in the local community with his friends, normally him riding around on his bike. Was written by the original author GK Chesterton in a book series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zW6fjkoSe4

Its not a bad series, its well directed, some of the acting is good especially from its main star Mark Williams (who played Arthur Weasley, Rons dad in the harry potter series). And despite it having an obvious religious tone with the main character being a priest it doesn't hammer in its religious symbolism that much, its treated kind of like you'd expect the theme of Christianity to be treated in the 1950s.

However it becomes a massive pantomime as it goes episode to episode (episodic series) when every one is the same repeated theme, a murder takes place in this same little town, and its always father brown who solves the case while the local police are useless. More funny is the fact that around the little town of Kembleford, there must be at least 50 manor houses or great halls, all with different super rich toffs living in these large estates that only appeared once that episode and never again.
Plus some of the actors who often used the series as a one time gig, some are really just awful and ham it up big time.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Munch on May 01, 2020, 03:10:26 PM
Mum, who I'm in lockdown with, likes watching a british series called Father Brown.

We watched the first six seasons until Netflix pulled it on March 31.

I love British television.

Munch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 01, 2020, 04:41:00 PM
We watched the first six seasons until Netflix pulled it on March 31.

I love British television.

Didnt you find some of the repeated antics a little silly? ^^

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Munch on May 01, 2020, 05:07:33 PM
Didnt you find some of the repeated antics a little silly? ^^

Oh yeah, but also kind of charming because it's done with a wink and a nod. Lady Felicia is going to scream (unless someone beats her to it). The authorities are going to be bumbling and cantankerous. The fabulous period fashions, the grand estates around every bend, the stunning vintage automobiles, the pastural landscapes, the strawberry scones... it's a mythical vision of 1950's England. Father Brown is the most humanistic angel of death priest ever to ride a bicycle. The murder mysteries are good fun and sometimes rather clever. The series is comforting in its familiarity-- vintage television made in the 21st century.

Munch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 01, 2020, 05:50:28 PM
Oh yeah, but also kind of charming because it's done with a wink and a nod. Lady Felicia is going to scream (unless someone beats her to it). The authorities are going to be bumbling and cantankerous. The fabulous period fashions, the grand estates around every bend, the stunning vintage automobiles, the pastural landscapes, the strawberry scones... it's a mythical vision of 1950's England. Father Brown is the most humanistic angel of death priest ever to ride a bicycle. The murder mysteries are good fun and sometimes rather clever. The series is comforting in its familiarity-- vintage television made in the 21st century.

Yeah, its escapist daytime drama, idealized. Always liked when Bunty (Emer Kenny) started in the series, always made me laugh her acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XgNmpYA-3M

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

aitm

I don’t know if “it” is a place, style or position...😁
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

Quote from: aitm on May 02, 2020, 11:22:10 AM
I don’t know if “it” is a place, style or position...😁

It's an area of England known for its quintessential countryside, villages and famed for its honey colour stone used in housing, very expensive to live there

I also spelt it wrong, its cotswold

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotswolds