News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 11:21:50 PM
I used to LOVE Full Metal Alchemist.  The idea was great..

I liked FMA too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 07:17:06 PM
I completely agree that nothing happens fast in anime.
I dunno about that.  Some series have breakneck pacing, some drag things out, most are in between.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 25, 2019, 05:31:37 PM
I dunno about that.  Some series have breakneck pacing, some drag things out, most are in between.

Can you name an anime where action moves fast?  I might watch it.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on August 26, 2019, 11:36:51 PM
Can you name an anime where action moves fast?  I might watch it.
It's hard to say exactly.  Most have at least few contemplative moments between battles, if not a beach episode.

From my own personal experienve, I'd say Gundam 00 or Kill-la-Kill are pretty solid for fast-paced battles.

Imo, literally anything probably has better pacing than DBZ.  It was a standout show in a lot of ways, but man, did it drag out its fights.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 26, 2019, 11:59:40 PM
It's hard to say exactly.  Most have at least few contemplative moments between battles, if not a beach episode.

From my own personal experienve, I'd say Gundam 00 or Kill-la-Kill are pretty solid for fast-paced battles.

Imo, literally anything probably has better pacing than DBZ.  It was a standout show in a lot of ways, but man, did it drag out its fights.

I'll look for those 2.  And yeah, I've always complained that DBZ can really drag things out.  Dragonball Super is a bit better about that.

Mr.Obvious

My hero academia has some pretty solid fights.
Shorter fights than dbz, too.

But they still get dragged out, definitely in the earlier episodes by flashing back to ten minutes ago.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 27, 2019, 01:17:37 AM
My hero academia has some pretty solid fights.
Shorter fights than dbz, too.

But they still get dragged out, definitely in the earlier episodes by flashing back to ten minutes ago.

What about that one with the naked titans?  I've tended to skip it but saw one episode where they mostly explained all about it.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2019, 01:38:47 AM
What about that one with the naked titans?  I've tended to skip it but saw one episode where they mostly explained all about it.

Never watched that,  premise was too silly, even for me.
I understand the nime is trying to present itself serious and gritty and horrifying.
I just can't watch even à commercial without thinking: wow, this is dumb.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 27, 2019, 01:43:40 AM
I understand the nime is trying to present itself serious and gritty and horrifying.
I just can't watch even à commercial without thinking: wow, this is dumb.

I understand.  But when one episode explained that there were 2 groups on the world and the minority was made into mindless titans when injected with something and the other group was trying to make the minority scary, it started to make a "little sense".  I haven't watched it since then though.

Baruch

Recently enjoyed I,My, Me Strawberry Egg.  Or is that TMI?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 27, 2019, 02:01:49 AM
Recently enjoyed I,My, Me Strawberry Egg.  Or is that TMI?

OK, that one was WAY out there.  Good work.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2019, 03:15:31 AM
OK, that one was WAY out there.  Good work.

Anime is way out there, in many directions.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2019, 01:38:47 AM
That show is my jam.  It basically drip-feeds you lore and character backstories.  However, season 3 feels like they just plow through all the secrets when they were few and far between before then.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 27, 2019, 01:43:40 AM
I just can't watch even a commercial without thinking: wow, this is dumb.
It absolutely is an absurd premise, but the story is remarkably self-consistent.  I try to visualize it as an alternate history, so its conventions make sense to someone in that world, not someone in our world.

I approach it the same way as I would approach a zombie show - it's an unscientific, unrealistic premise and you either roll with that or change the channel.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 27, 2019, 04:42:45 PM
That show is my jam.  It basically drip-feeds you lore and character backstories.  However, season 3 feels like they just plow through all the secrets when they were few and far between before then.

Yeah, the small amount of information was very interesting and intriguing.  And I can see possibilities if I followed it.  But quite frankly, I would rather that they reshowed Cowboy BeBop, .hack//Sign, and Ghost In The Shell.