News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Zoya Destroya is a fake wrestling character of a character in a comedy show. She is not a Russian woman. It's Americans making fun of American culture. It's funny. Yes, I don't think most people in the forum would like it, but it is good. It's about people. Also, I am sure feminists can do without your support, sweety. Don't worry. Relax. Personally, I stopped caring who supports what some time ago. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 19, 2019, 03:51:26 PM
Zoya Destroya is a fake wrestling character of a character in a comedy show. She is not a Russian woman. It's Americans making fun of American culture. It's funny. Yes, I don't think most people in the forum would like it, but it is good. It's about people. Also, I am sure feminists can do without your support, sweety. Don't worry. Relax. Personally, I stopped caring who supports what some time ago.

I know that.  The older American culture was a movie about roller derby (Whip It), and prior to that, the real thing (started in 1935).  I remember the real thing.  And there are still some teams still playing.  Of course this was mocked with male athletes in the scifi Rollerball (1975), redone in 2002 (coed version).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVUxK1mNups

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Cavebear on April 18, 2019, 06:51:10 AM
I LOVED COWBOY BEBOP!  Where are you watching it from the start?

Hulu!
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on April 19, 2019, 04:35:30 PM
I know that.  The older American culture was a movie about roller derby (Whip It), and prior to that, the real thing (started in 1935).  I remember the real thing.  And there are still some teams still playing.  Of course this was mocked with male athletes in the scifi Rollerball (1975), redone in 2002 (coed version).

Really? That is the movie you connected to 'Whip it'?

Do you understand the story movies like Whip it are telling? It's about team spirit, competiton, rivalry. It's about kids working their ass for something; learning their limits; competition; learning to lose, betrayal, friendship, rivalry... and winning. Struggle. Winning doesn't mean shit without that process. It's basically necessary skills for life to survive. Of course you don't need physical activity to learn these, but it is the simplest form. Also the simplest way to put in a movie to tell a story. It's action, emotion... Catharsis. Controlled physical struggle is the best way to tell this. 

Why did they start to make these movies with girls, young women? Because if you are living on this planet, you should know that traditionally they are the least encouraged group for a struggle of the sort. We learn most of the things playing games as kids. Boys are always more likely to be encouraged to learn competition; their limits; learning to lose, betrayal, friendship, rivalry... and winning. Struggle.   

Life experience tells me that any kid that have gone through some sort of struggle, hardship and team work is always far more likely to be a contributing, healthy individual. Because they develop self-respect, integrity at a young age. It's very simple. Monkey see, monkey do. We need to introduce stories to children that they can relate and see themselves in. That's how human works. It's pretty much like Bards and Ollaves have done in ancient times.   

And you connect a story like that to what exactly? 

And this doesn't have an age limit either. That's why GLOW is a good show. The creators of the show make those characters do the silliest, stupid things and through that they are underlying something very important about human nature. Fuck politics, fuck -isms. Everything is about being part of something, making yourself real doesn't matter, what is it that you are doing. And this is not something we can do by ourselves. We need other humans to accomplish this. It's the same about the male characters. It's just they are more women than men.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib_Y72V7-bc

Wow this show looks like garbage.

Batman: I am vengeance, I am the night, I am batman

Batwoman: I'm a WAMAN

Also, "I'm not about to let a man take credit for a woman's work" she says as she takes the identity, suit and headquarters of a man.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Sorry, any woman, in a cat suit, even if not Catwoman is ... meow!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

So, they put the "her" in "hero"? You couldn't pay me to watch that. Well, maybe if you paid me enough...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

nah, I'd sooner go broke, unless it was an insane amount, and even then i'd do something like donate it to a men's sexual health organisation out of karma.

remember when movies like alien had trailers telling us how ripley was a super amazing because she was waman? Or how Rooney Mara in girl with the dragon tattoo was 'what the world needs!', or how wonder woman 'didn't need no man to be strong'? No? neither do I.
you can't make this shit up..

Baruch

Proof that feminism isn't progressing, it is digressing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on May 18, 2019, 06:56:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib_Y72V7-bc

Wow this show looks like garbage.

Batman: I am vengeance, I am the night, I am batman

Batwoman: I'm a WAMAN

Also, "I'm not about to let a man take credit for a woman's work" she says as she takes the identity, suit and headquarters of a man.

OMG. I hate when they try to mix feminism with comic books. It's never going to accurately portray the real issues, which makes the message pointless, and it's going to alienate many of the fans. I see this as nothing more than a marketing ploy from executives who don't give a shit about the real issues. We've got serious issues that need to be addressed in America, such as new legislation in multiple states effectively equating abortions with murder, threatening to put women and doctors behind bars for life. Meanwhile, CW is giving us this diet Batman in spandex saying, "I'm not letting a man take credit for my hard work." Fucking hell.

EDIT: I like how they have this woman find all of Batman's gear, takes it and uses it herself, and complains that Batman is getting the credit. Seriously?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 18, 2019, 03:23:20 PM

EDIT: I like how they have this woman find all of Batman's gear, takes it and uses it herself, and complains that Batman is getting the credit. Seriously?

Really, this just comes down to awful writing. Think about how they wrote miles morales Spiderman, that was well written, and in the movie adaptation it played to the alternative reality notion of the character. He wasn't trying to take the place of Peter Parker Spiderman, he was being his own person with the Spiderman title (also it didn't make something out like 'I'm black Spiderman, that's my character trait!')

If there going to make a story of someone else taking on the mantle of a famous character, the key point any writer should do is at least make the character likeable, give them a personality.

Hydra009

New season of Westworld (I dunno why it's even called that anymore, but whatevs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deSUQ7mZfWk

I dunno how I feel about focusing so heavily on the wider world and humans.  On one hand, I love all the 200-years in the future technology, but on the other hand, it kinda loses its punch when it's everywhere.  In Westworld, the juxtaposition of cowboy technology and futuristic technology was breathtaking.  Without that juxtaposition, it just seems like pretty generic sci-fi.

Also, I don't know who this guy is and I desperate hope his story is extremely compelling, otherwise this season is going to tank hard.  The first (and somewhat the second) seasons set a very high standard for characters, storytelling, and acting.  If it's just going to be Fight Club in the future, I'm out.  Then again, if you told me an Indian wandering around an arid landscape would be the best episode of the series, I would have thought you were crazy.  So maybe I'm judging too hastily.

I'm torn about this trailer.  I want to be positive about this, but there's a lot here that could go wrong.  Guess I'll have to watch to find out.

Unbeliever

Yes, you'll have to collapse the wave function.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 20, 2019, 01:11:32 PM
Yes, you'll have to collapse the wave function.
If there's a really good twist, it could totally win me over.  And Westworld has had some great twists - almost too many.  At this stage, the twist could be not having a twist.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 19, 2019, 03:19:53 PM
Yeah, I like Russian women.  I like most women (for their visual appeal).  But that is superficial.  Personalty and character matter more.  See I am not a misogynist.  I just won't excuse bad behavior by anyone.  So under current conditions I can't support feminism (which I would normally do) because it is a hyper-partisan echo chamber.

I assume you said "See I am not a misogynist" self-jokingly because most of what you say supports that you are...  All your after-statements indicate such.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!