News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 03, 2019, 01:36:52 PM
Samurai Jack is legend. I really liked the older seasons.
And I really loved 95% of the last season.

What part did you not like about the last?  I only ask because I loved it all.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr.Obvious

[spoiler]What i mentioned in THE other spoiler tags. THE end-fight was a tad rushed and not visually stunning enough to to THE entirety of samurai Jack justice. Plus they could've taken a different route  with THE timetravel that kept two timelines open, rather than wiping one out. Namely THE one we became invested in.[/spoiler]
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 01, 2019, 05:05:03 PM
[spoiler]What i mentioned in THE other spoiler tags. THE end-fight was a tad rushed and not visually stunning enough to to THE entirety of samurai Jack justice. Plus they could've taken a different route  with THE timetravel that kept two timelines open, rather than wiping one out. Namely THE one we became invested in.[/spoiler]

I think they were offerred limited time for the ending.  But at least they gave an ending.  I'll give 4 of 5 just for that. 

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on March 01, 2019, 05:59:24 PM
I think they were offerred limited time for the ending.  But at least they gave an ending.  I'll give 4 of 5 just for that.

Actually; if I remember correctly when they approached him they asked the creator; how many episodes do you need to wrap up a final season?
And he came back with 10 real quick. He could have gotten more if he felt he could use it or if he wanted too.

He agrees it felt rushed, but it was the ending he always envisioned and was ultimately happy with:
https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/10/12/16459622/samurai-jack-season-5-finale-genndy-tartakovsky

I would have gone with a different one. But I agree: I'm glad it got wrapped up and that the story was given a finish. And I still look fondly at this show. It is truly amazing.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 01, 2019, 07:15:59 PM
Actually; if I remember correctly when they approached him they asked the creator; how many episodes do you need to wrap up a final season?
And he came back with 10 real quick. He could have gotten more if he felt he could use it or if he wanted too.

He agrees it felt rushed, but it was the ending he always envisioned and was ultimately happy with:
https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/10/12/16459622/samurai-jack-season-5-finale-genndy-tartakovsky

I would have gone with a different one. But I agree: I'm glad it got wrapped up and that the story was given a finish. And I still look fondly at this show. It is truly amazing.

THAT is interesting.  I get little info from the inside.  And I've noticed there are many episodes I never saw originally.  Tonight I watched XXXVI (?) where the origin of Aku (as a shard of a godly battle against evil in the far past) was explained.  I sure never saw THAT one before.

Hydra009

The Orville pitch meeting

Writer:  Our show is going to be like TNG but better.
Producer:  How?
Writer:  You know how TNG skirted around LGBT issues?  Well, ours are going to be front and center.  We're also going to have lots of gay characters.
Producer:  Very progressive.
Writer:  And you're going to hate them for being sexist.
Producer:  *shock and confusion*  Is that progressive?
Writer:  *shrugs*  I don't even know anymore.

Writer:  You know how TNG had Best of Both Worlds, where the Borg really put the hurt on the Federation?
Producer:  Yeah, the fans really loved that two-parter.
Writer:  Well, we're going to do that but better.  It's going to be super duper dark, too.
Producer:  Oh my god.  And The Orville is a comedy, right?
Writer:  Sometimes it is.  Other times, it'll keep you up at night because you can't sleep because your alarm clock looks like two red eyes staring at you.
Producer:  I'm pretty sure that's just you.
Writer:  I haven't slept since 2006 and I write all the episodes while watching TNG while high out of my mind.
Producer:  Well, I'm sold.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 04, 2019, 12:34:42 PM
The Orville pitch meeting

Writer:  Our show is going to be like TNG but better.
Producer:  How?
Writer:  You know how TNG skirted around LGBT issues?  Well, ours are going to be front and center.  We're also going to have lots of gay characters.
Producer:  Very progressive.
Writer:  And you're going to hate them for being sexist.
Producer:  *shock and confusion*  Is that progressive?
Writer:  *shrugs*  I don't even know anymore.

Writer:  You know how TNG had Best of Both Worlds, where the Borg really put the hurt on the Federation?
Producer:  Yeah, the fans really loved that two-parter.
Writer:  Well, we're going to do that but better.  It's going to be super duper dark, too.
Producer:  Oh my god.  And The Orville is a comedy, right?
Writer:  Sometimes it is.  Other times, it'll keep you up at night because you can't sleep because your alarm clock looks like two red eyes staring at you.
Producer:  I'm pretty sure that's just you.
Writer:  I haven't slept since 2006 and I write all the episodes while watching TNG while high out of my mind.
Producer:  Well, I'm sold.

Actually, I would support anyone who could write stage directions for Patrick Stewart (stare angrily left, pull down shirt, and no one collapse in giggles AND I MEAN YOU MCFADDEN) while high...

drunkenshoe

I have just seen a couple of episodes from Norsemen. Norwegian made, Netflix.

Descendants of Vikings making fun of Vikings and Viking culture in a low budget, absurd comedy, sitcom style. It's simple, hillarious.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Unbeliever

Good Lord! I just went to youtube to check it out, and it's hilarious indeed!

The guy in the trailer I'm watching is trying to give his dead brother a good old Viking send off, putting him on a raft filled with wood, pushing it out into the water and shooting fire-arrows at it to burn it up. But he can't hit the damned thing! Everyone's standing around looking embarrassed by this idiot trying again and again to hit the raft, but his arrows keep falling short! Finally the thing is too far to even shoot at, so he makes some lame excuse and walk off.

I think I'll check out some more of that if it keeps being that funny.

Heck I might as well post it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hk_rdfSCS0&list=PLilUWkNfXo_jIhLUFV6fEF61gTi4yFr1z

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

How come Norwegians are speaking English?  Culture appropriation!!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

They did the episodes in Norwegian first, then made the same episodes in English.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 13, 2019, 08:26:20 PM
They did the episodes in Norwegian first, then made the same episodes in English.

If they are bi-national, are they also bi-sexual? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

mosstoss

I just finished watching the first season of Kidding, and I really liked it. Carrey may be too eccentric for some, but I've always found him subversive and profound. Kidding is no exception. It's a tense, heavy show. Looking forward to the second season.

Also just started watching the third season of True Detective. I really liked the first two seasons, and I'm curious how the third one might pan out.

drunkenshoe

Alias Grace. It's good.

---Spoilers ahead----

Apperantly, it's a real story. I dunno how to describe it. Good lines and conversations. (Made from Margaret Atwood's novel based on the events.) In a nutshell, an abused young women is convicted of killing two people, also aiding and abetting. And then there is this young, naive yankee psychiatrist literally losing his mind over her, because he can't decide if she is guilty or innocent. What is it in the end? That men are turned on by homicidal young women? We live in a far too different era to get into that catharsis I guess. Or it's me.     

Bad jokes aside, if you ask me after all the traumas she lives through, at some point after losing the only person actually treated her good and helped her dies in a bad way, she produces a split personality and that personality kills. That's why they imply. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Ayn Rand, in her youth (1920s) was turned on by a prisoner who was in jail for murder.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.