News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Come to think of it, there is no reason to assume most dimensions of the multiverse would even contain our Earth.

Hydra009

Patrick Stewart is working on a new Star Trek series with Captain Jean-Luc Picard.

I'm so pumped about this!  Imo, Star Trek has been sliding downhill since DS9, a decline that arguably started during DS9's last season.  Voyager had its moments, but imo never topped TNG/DS9.  Enterprise was wretched, and Discovery...I've already forgotten it existed.

This new series could be that shot in the arm the franchise desperately needs.

And one of the best things about this series is that we'll finally get a show that isn't a prequel!  Admittedly, I'm assuming this.  But how else could you bring a semi-noticeably older Picard back on screen?

I'm also hoping that it serves to pass the torch to a younger character, like in Batman Beyond.  Old man Picard works with a younger apprentice.  The wise old man gets the command choices, while the brash youngster has to handle the action scenes - a perfect melding of the old (strategy, diplomacy, hard choices) and new (pew pew pew, running around like a spaz) styles of Trek.

Baruch

The final episode of the final ST series will review that all the episodes were just a spazzed out holodeck malfunction.  I told Commander Data to stop messing with it!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Kim Possible on the Disney Channel.  Love it.  Saw the "Graduation" episode twice and cheered both times.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Refamiliarizing myself with TNG in anticipation of the sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Zc8Co2H3w

Patrick Stewart really carried that show.  It was bad in some ways (lol at Marriott, some garbage episodes) but amazing in other ways (Borg, emphasis on diplomacy, bonhomie between the main cast)

I also really liked that one lightning effect.  :)

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZaBIfJmrgE

I was never much of a dr who fan, I watched a few episodes of it in the 1980s, and watched most of the Christopher Eccleston seasons and about half of the David Tennant seasons, Not watched much of it since then, maybe caught a few episodes here and there, I heard Peter Capaldi was alright, but never watched any of his.

When i first heard about the doctor being a woman, I first thought it was a weird choice, but gave them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they could pull it off if they gave the character the same kind of integrity they did like with Eccleston or Tennant and... NOPE, it became bloody obvious why the BBC went in this direction, so blatant in it the early warning signs were already forming during Capaldi's run of the doctor.

There is showing progressive ideas, and then there is just spreading descent and hating on someone for their gender, like this is doing now. For that reason I'll never watch another dr who episode. 

Munch

Coming off the back of this, and aiming this at all forms of media, tv, movies, comics, games, this being a huge pet peeve of mine lately, but why.. just why is there this insistence, that in order to have strong diverse roles in these mediums, strong female leads, strong black roles, strong gay/trans roles, that the only way to do that in some peoples minds is to undermine others in order to do it, make men appear weaker, make white people appear weaker, make straights appear weaker.

This isn't good writing or directing, if you need to disempower one group, in order to make the other feel empowered. This is social justice engineering at best.

You want an example of strong female characters who don't emasculate men? Look at woman woman in the animated justice league TV show or in the comics. Look at shows like buffy the vampire slayer, or Ripley in aliens, or The Bride in kill bill. These are all strong female leads that don't need to resort to pissing on masculinity in order to feel strong themselves. Infact woman woman in the justice league unlimited series was one of my favorite incarnations of the character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsPThqQTueM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltJckwjMco

In a setting like this, you have strong male role models, like superman and batman, and you have wonder woman on the same footing as them showing herself as an actual symbol of how strong a woman is, without needing to emasculate her male teammates. This is how you do an empowering female role model, not the garbage modern day BBC or Marvel comics produces.

Mr.Obvious

Sooo... they're rebooting the Avatar The Last Airbender as a live action series.
With the original team of creators involved, so it won't turn out all M. Night Shyamalan-ny.
While I'm sure what they'll wind up producing will be better than that pile of garbage: the question remains, to me.
Why? What's the point?

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it'll turn out swell. But I don't think it'll top the original. And if it don't top it; isn't it just a cash-grab?
It was bad enough when Shyamalan turned it into an inferior product. I don't want the creators to do the same.
I'll still start watching it. Give it a chance. Hope they prove me wrong. But I don't have a lot of hope.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on September 14, 2018, 09:03:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsPThqQTueM
Whoever drew that monk had quite a fun time with it, lol.  I feel like I owe him/her a drink.

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on September 14, 2018, 08:34:01 PM
For that reason I'll never watch another dr who episode.
I will wait to see how she performs in the role before I decide whether I think casting Jodie Whittaker was a mistake; that seems to me to be the fairer and more evidence-based way rather than pre-deciding it was a mistake on no reason to do with the actor's actual ability.

I haven't seen her act before; however, I have it on reliable authority that she was really good in Broadchurch, and in any case I have a standing policy of giving a new Doctor two series before I decide whether I like them or not.  The casting motives â€" real or alleged â€" are of relevance only if the actor (or actress) is not good in the role.

If they can give it the fun of the original series again â€" something largely lacking in the new run â€" I'll be delighted.  That's all that matters to me.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 23, 2018, 03:06:50 PM
I will wait to see how she performs in the role before I decide whether I think casting Jodie Whittaker was a mistake; that seems to me to be the fairer and more evidence-based way rather than pre-deciding it was a mistake on no reason to do with the actor's actual ability.

I haven't seen her act before; however, I have it on reliable authority that she was really good in Broadchurch, and in any case I have a standing policy of giving a new Doctor two series before I decide whether I like them or not.  The casting motives â€" real or alleged â€" are of relevance only if the actor (or actress) is not good in the role.

If they can give it the fun of the original series again â€" something largely lacking in the new run â€" I'll be delighted.  That's all that matters to me.

I'm awaiting for October 7th for the new Doctor.  It could be interesting.  I will have a mind-change regardless.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

I'm literally just discovering how many people believe Daenerys is a villain in Game of Thrones, and just how... passionate... they are about how evil she is.

I just... what? She is no saint, but she is practically Gandhi compared to any other ruler. And don't like her, fine, that's cool, but I mean... people are legit like... furious about it and will go off at you if you dare say she is anything other than the most horrible human to ever exist (lol).

I get being passionate about entertainment, but that is just taking it too far.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Shiranu on September 25, 2018, 05:03:13 AM
I'm literally just discovering how many people believe Daenerys is a villain in Game of Thrones, and just how... passionate... they are about how evil she is.

I just... what? She is no saint, but she is practically Gandhi compared to any other ruler. And don't like her, fine, that's cool, but I mean... people are legit like... furious about it and will go off at you if you dare say she is anything other than the most horrible human to ever exist (lol).

I get being passionate about entertainment, but that is just taking it too far.

You know, ... I'm not in the camp that says she is evil. I think GoT already simply offers 'antagonists' for more complex than simply 'evil'. But... I do think it could've worked in the way GRR Martin set up his story. He's constantly turning the perspective on characters, and turning the one he's been building up into the final villain, would've been totally in line with all the other developments we've seen.
And seen from the 'proper' (couldn't find a better, more neutral word) angle, she would be an evil agressor. She's invaded city after city, laying waste to what many felt were their way of living and culture (discussions on how barbaric their abolished practices were aside), she has three monsters of 'children' that she loves that have devoured innocents and will, most likely do so again sometime in the future (unless something stops them), she does not (yet) represent democracy but a despotic rule (just another turn on the wheel she has not yet broken though she says she will, but what are promises from rulers to the common-folk?), she lands on Westeros with a foreign host and hardly any 'local' backing, a girl that wasn't even born in Westeros spilling blood and life through burning and war to claim a throne she feels like she is due for no better reason than any other lordling that aspires to sit it ...

Up so far as the books went, I could have seen the paradigm shift happen
With how the show went, after that, however, not so much anymore.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 04:01:18 PM
I'm awaiting for October 7th for the new Doctor.  It could be interesting.  I will have a mind-change regardless.
The idea of a female Doctor actually goes back nearly 40 years.  I came to the show around 1982, and the reverberations from Tom Baker's retirement announcement wherein he impishly offered his best wishes to his successor "whoever he or she may be" were still bouncing around the fandom.  And in the mid-80s when ratings were flagging and Colin Baker was just not popular, the show's creator Sidney Newman rather more seriously urged the BBC to pick a female Doctor to give the show a new lease on life.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan