News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Also, my head canon is that Rick from Rick and Morty stumbled across the gang from Sliders when they 'slid' into Rick's home dimension.  Rick stole their timer, perfected the technology, then shoved them into a portal that lead to an Earth still ruled by dinosaurs.  The Sliders characters are all dead, ripped apart by a hungry Albertosaurus

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 25, 2018, 11:43:27 PM
Yes, that's it.  But watch out!  Sliders has a very mixed reception.  You might like it or you might hate it.

On one hand, it was an innovative concept for the time (mid-late 90s).  Arguably, it paved the way for a lot of sci-fi series, including SG-1.  And the core group is very likable and they have a lot of fun banter.  And it had a great season arc at around season 3.

On the other hand...the show has aged very poorly.  20+ year old special effects that weren't all that impressive even during those times.  For the most part, really hackneyed, unimaginative worlds and plots.  Drinking game: take a swig every time Quinn and co get captured, foment a rebellion, and/or the timer messes up.  2 episodes in one sitting = kidney failure.  And for the love of all things holy, burn season 4+5.  They're not worth your time, I guarantee it.  The show started declining pretty early on and seasons 4 and 5 are pure cancer.  Its cancellation was well deserved.
I ordered season 1 and 2, rather than the whole series, just in case.

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 25, 2018, 11:43:27 PM
Yes.  It struck me as pretty derivative (Jumper), but interesting.  I appreciate that they at least tried to do their own thing with it.  I didn't care for the paladin stuff, though.
Yeah, the paladin stuff was one of those things I don't know how to fix, because hero movies need a foil, but getting rid of Samuel Jackson's wig would be a place to start.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on April 26, 2018, 02:44:07 AM
I ordered season 1 and 2, rather than the whole series, just in case.
Good.  It peaked in season 3, imo.

And looking back, some season 4 episodes were pretty good, so that season wasn't complete garbage, though it definitely started declining here.

GSOgymrat

We are mesmerized by British baking shows, such as The Great British Baking Show and The Big Family Cooking Show Down. The opposite is Nailed It-- total trash.

SGOS

I remember an episode of Northern Exposure where Holling got a satellite dish, and Shelly became TV zombie, eventually gravitating to the shopping channels where she spent their entire honeymoon budget buying trinkets.

But to get back to gymrat's post, there was another one where all the guys were watching nothing but sports at the bar.  Finally in a rage, Holling turned off the TV, and to a wall of disgruntled disgust, announced that no one could watch anymore TV because he hated sports, including his home country's Canadian hockey.  So a few days later, everyone ended up watching cooking shows, and seemed to be content, as long as the TV was on and they could be drinking beer while discussing cooking.  Holling didn't seem to have problems with that.

Baruch

Two kinds of people.  Those who can function with the TV on, but music off.  And those who can function with music on, but the TV off.  My ex and I were opposites.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Did you ever notice the similarity between Daniel Jackson in SG1 and Kramer on Seinfeld?  Both of them are always getting other people to do stupid things that end in disaster.  Talk about drinking games.  How about taking a shot every time the following scenario happens:

Colonel O'Neill says something like, "We wait here until nightfall.  On my command, we will do [whatever.]"
Without even looking in O'Neill's direction, Jackson gets up and heads down the hill. 
O'Neill says, "Daniel, get back here.  We wait until dark,"
Jackson replies, "I'm going now."
O'Neill in aggravation asks, "Why now, Daniel?"
Jackson says, "Because I have to."  <---  [drink shot here]
Then everyone gets captured by the enemy and ends up about to die, or as slaves in a naquadah mine.  Of course O'Neill saves everyone, including Daniel, who should have been left under the pile of rocks in the mine collapse for all the good he does.

SGOS

"Come on Daniel.  We're headed back through the stargate."
"Wait, Jack.  I have to study this room.  It offers clues to an ancient civilization."
"Daniel, if we don't leave now we're going to be sucked into a black hole in three minutes."
"No, Jack!  You don't understand.  We have to stay.  This room may even tell us the meaning of life."
[drink shot]

Hydra009

Daniel is a bit of a bleeding heart, which is bad in his line of work because they encounter tons of natives who invariably suffer from oppression or existential threats.  He wants to intervene all the time, but realistically, that's impossible.

Though the Stargate project succeeds beyond all expectation in a large part due to befriending powerful natives, so there's a decent case that could be made for interventionism.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 28, 2018, 02:25:08 PM
Daniel is a bit of a bleeding heart, which is bad in his line of work because they encounter tons of natives who invariably suffer from oppression or existential threats.  He wants to intervene all the time, but realistically, that's impossible.

Though the Stargate project succeeds beyond all expectation in a large part due to befriending powerful natives, so there's a decent case that could be made for interventionism.

Capt Kirk knew, you violate the Prime Directive very selectively, not every episode.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Sometimes in the inextricable situations that Daniel creates, some form of unimaginable luck comes out of nowhere and saves the day.  When he falls because of his illogical actions, he falls upwards.  That's the kind of guy you need fighting aliens.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on April 28, 2018, 03:49:57 PMWhen he falls because of his illogical actions, he falls upwards.
You can say that again.  [spoiler]He literally dies and it's a win for team Tau'ri.[/spoiler]

Not sure that I have to mark that with a spoiler. It's been over 10 years since that show ended.  Anyone who wanted to watch it presumably got around to it by now.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 28, 2018, 05:30:41 PM
You can say that again.  [spoiler]He literally dies and it's a win for team Tau'ri.[/spoiler]

Not sure that I have to mark that with a spoiler. It's been over 10 years since that show ended.  Anyone who wanted to watch it presumably got around to it by now.
Probably doesn't matter.  There are so many episodes, you will never know in which one/ones it's going to happen.

aitm

Quote from: SGOS on April 27, 2018, 08:41:58 AM
I remember an episode of Northern Exposure where Holling got a satellite dish, and Shelly became TV zombie, eventually gravitating to the shopping channels where she spent their entire honeymoon budget buying trinkets.

But to get back to gymrat's post, there was another one where all the guys were watching nothing but sports at the bar.  Finally in a rage, Holling turned off the TV, and to a wall of disgruntled disgust, announced that no one could watch anymore TV because he hated sports, including his home country's Canadian hockey.  So a few days later, everyone ended up watching cooking shows, and seemed to be content, as long as the TV was on and they could be drinking beer while discussing cooking.  Holling didn't seem to have problems with that.

In my opinion  NE was one of the most under-rated shows of all time. A wonderful cheeky fun romp with the occasional somber moment only to be ripped in the next scene. Enjoyed that show.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCCbLTSMyRA

Their masks have a long snout...