News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 12, 2018, 08:53:27 PM

Granted, the finished product may look completely different...but I gotta say, this is one of the few DC shows I would actually be interested in watching and them looking like crap is throttling my mild hopes in the crib.  (let's just say that I would NOT be a blue lantern candidate, lol)

They all look terrible, especially Starfire, who has that "does your mother know you're wearing her drapes" kind of look. From what I've heard, it sounds like they're changing her personality too. Now she's a bad ass, no nonsense type. If that's true, they clearly don't understand the character at all. And what's the deal with dyeing their hair all these bright colors? Did they think that green hair was a substitute for green skin? They don't look like super heroes. They look like they just came from Hot Topic.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 20, 2018, 09:39:28 AM
They all look terrible, especially Starfire, who has that "does your mother know you're wearing her drapes" kind of look. From what I've heard, it sounds like they're changing her personality too. Now she's a bad ass, no nonsense type. If that's true, they clearly don't understand the character at all. And what's the deal with dyeing their hair all these bright colors? Did they think that green hair was a substitute for green skin? They don't look like super heroes. They look like they just came from Hot Topic.
The cosplayers actually do the better job of looking like the actual comic book characters than the cartoon or live-action portrayals do.

Now, there *is* actually a good reason for not making Beast Boy his proper comic book color in live-action TV -- green screen special effects.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Blackleaf

Quote from: trdsf on April 20, 2018, 11:32:23 AM
The cosplayers actually do the better job of looking like the actual comic book characters than the cartoon or live-action portrayals do.

Now, there *is* actually a good reason for not making Beast Boy his proper comic book color in live-action TV -- green screen special effects.

Wouldn't the hair still be a problem for green screen?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 20, 2018, 02:09:49 PM
Wouldn't the hair still be a problem for green screen?
It may be a safe shade; I'd've thought it would be problematic too, but bluescreen is also an alternative.  It's one they couldn't use in Supergirl when they started introducing Legionnaires -- there was a certain amount of fansquawk over Brainiac 5 being blue.  But, realistically, they couldn't leave him green and then bluescreen because then the lead character's costume disappears...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on April 20, 2018, 03:42:03 PM
It may be a safe shade; I'd've thought it would be problematic too, but bluescreen is also an alternative.  It's one they couldn't use in Supergirl when they started introducing Legionnaires -- there was a certain amount of fansquawk over Brainiac 5 being blue.  But, realistically, they couldn't leave him green and then bluescreen because then the lead character's costume disappears...

What is wrong with the lead character's costume disappearing (if you know what I mean)?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 20, 2018, 12:30:13 AM
@Mr.Obvious Okay, I've finished Star Wars Rebels.  You may fire when ready.  :)

My review is that the series finale is better than the last 3 Star Wars movies put together.  Surpassed all my hopes.  Very dramatic, very touching, very inspirational, very...unexpected.

“Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Yeah, hit 'em where they aint...  And I loved that scene in 'Battleship' where the American guy confused the Chinese Sun Tzu with the Japanese guy... 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 24, 2018, 05:32:55 PM
Yeah, hit 'em where they aint...  And I loved that scene in 'Battleship' where the American guy confused the Chinese Sun Tzu with the Japanese guy...

Any modern Japanese guy would have memorized Sun Tzu.  Japanese learn from anyone, and from China long before the stupid Americans.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on April 24, 2018, 05:32:55 PM
Yeah, hit 'em where they aint...
That drives me crazy.  In strategy games, I'm often assembling a grand army to launch a massive assault.  In the meantime, my outposts get harassed by pathetic forces that I could crush in an instant if they were anywhere near my army.  So instead, I have to rely on several regional armies to maintain my borders while a much diminished main army assaults the enemy.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 24, 2018, 08:53:03 PM
That drives me crazy.  In strategy games, I'm often assembling a grand army to launch a massive assault.  In the meantime, my outposts get harassed by pathetic forces that I could crush in an instant if they were anywhere near my army.  So instead, I have to rely on several regional armies to maintain my borders while a much diminished main army assaults the enemy.

The Barbarians are annoying, particularly when sacking your capital city ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I started binge watching Stargate SG1 for the ___ time.  I've lost track, maybe about the 6th or 7th, give or take.  The reason for the comment is that I'm amazed at myself for liking this series as much as I do.  It never gets old (for me).  I know all the stories, but forget a few of the minor details, but every time I watch it, it just makes me happy and creates a powerful visceral experience.  This last binge happened because I watched the original movie with James Spader and Kurt Russell instead of Shanks and Anderson.  I originally saw the first movie years ago, and it did nothing for me, but watching it with the knowledge of the series and seeing how the two interconnect so well, and now knowing what the mishmash of happenings that take place in the movie actually mean, I actually liked the movie.

The series starts a little slow.  Without knowing how the series would evolve, I would not have been surprised if the network had cancelled it after the first couple of seasons, but it apparently struck a nerve, and continued on to become one of my favorites, maybe my favorite.  At first, the idea of walking through portals to the far reaches of the universe seemed too absurd, but now in the context of science fiction, it makes perfect sense.  And the stories engage me over and over again.  I never bothered watching one episode of the series on TV, because the movie left me so cold.  I took an interest much later, as I sometimes do.  I'm happy that I have the disks and can binge watch.  I'd go a little nuts waiting a week for the next episode.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on April 25, 2018, 11:26:10 AMAt first, the idea of walking through portals to the far reaches of the universe seemed too absurd, but now in the context of science fiction, it makes perfect sense.
I got prepped for that with Sliders.  It's an amazing plot device.  Want to shoot the next episode in the desert?  The team jumps through the portal and lands in the desert.  Any location you can think of (and make a convincing set for) you can make happen onscreen easily.  Want to pinch some pennies and reuse the SG1 set?  The teams jumps in the portal and gets spat out at Cheyenne mountain in an alternate dimension.  Cha-ching!

When you think with portals, you get unlimited story possibilities (great for writers) at a snappy pace (great for the audience) and on budget (great for producers).  Everyone wins!

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 25, 2018, 12:26:02 PM
I got prepped for that with Sliders.  It's an amazing plot device. 
OK, I am unfamiliar with Sliders, but I looked it up on Amazon, and there are 5 seasons.  Is this what you refer to or is there a movie you are talking about?  I'm going to order it, because the concept sounds like something I would like.

Along similar lines is Jumper, which I don't think got rave reviews, while I very much enjoy it.  There are a couple of weak points in the story, which I don't know how I would fix if I were in charge, but the concept is unique.  A high school kid realizes that he can simply jump (actually dematerialize and rematerialize) to any place on Earth, which opens up a lot of interesting situations.  Have you seen that one? 

trdsf

Well, on the subject or TV... farewell and RIP Bob Dorough.  Who's that?

The guy who created Schoolhouse Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i2AN2CC-60

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 25, 2018, 01:45:34 PM
OK, I am unfamiliar with Sliders, but I looked it up on Amazon, and there are 5 seasons.  Is this what you refer to or is there a movie you are talking about?  I'm going to order it, because the concept sounds like something I would like.

Along similar lines is Jumper, which I don't think got rave reviews, while I very much enjoy it.  There are a couple of weak points in the story, which I don't know how I would fix if I were in charge, but the concept is unique.  A high school kid realizes that he can simply jump (actually dematerialize and rematerialize) to any place on Earth, which opens up a lot of interesting situations.  Have you seen that one?

The first season was very good, but then the writing got weak ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on April 25, 2018, 01:45:34 PM
Yes, that's it.  But watch out!  Sliders has a very mixed reception.  You might like it or you might hate it.

On one hand, it was an innovative concept for the time (mid-late 90s).  Arguably, it paved the way for a lot of sci-fi series, including SG-1.  And the core group is very likable and they have a lot of fun banter.  And it had a great season arc at around season 3.

On the other hand...the show has aged very poorly.  20+ year old special effects that weren't all that impressive even during those times.  For the most part, really hackneyed, unimaginative worlds and plots.  Drinking game: take a swig every time Quinn and co get captured, foment a rebellion, and/or the timer messes up.  2 episodes in one sitting = kidney failure.  And for the love of all things holy, burn season 4+5.  They're not worth your time, I guarantee it.  The show started declining pretty early on and seasons 4 and 5 are pure cancer.  Its cancellation was well deserved.

QuoteAlong similar lines is Jumper, which I don't think got rave reviews, while I very much enjoy it.  There are a couple of weak points in the story, which I don't know how I would fix if I were in charge, but the concept is unique.  A high school kid realizes that he can simply jump (actually dematerialize and rematerialize) to any place on Earth, which opens up a lot of interesting situations.  Have you seen that one?
Yes.  It struck me as pretty derivative, but interesting.  I appreciate that they at least tried to do their own thing with it.  I didn't care for the paladin stuff, though.  It was a great concept, but it didn't really work for me for some reason.