News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Been rediscovering a couple 'classics' from the 60s on Hulu -- Land of the Giants and Dark Shadows.  Forgot how much fun they were despite their shortcomings.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

There's modify button, too.  :whip:

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 19, 2017, 06:11:36 PM
There's modify button, too.  :whip:

Well, yeah but if you change a post after a reply it seems kind of unfair.  Confooses peoples.

Sorginak

Quote from: Cavebear on September 19, 2017, 06:15:30 PM
Well, yeah but if you change a post after a reply it seems kind of unfair.  Confooses peoples.

Not if you modify it before anyone can read it or reply to it.  As slow as this forum is, that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Sorginak

Quote from: simplyalex on July 13, 2017, 04:09:46 AM
Looking forward to watching 13 Reasons Why Season 2, time to see whether Jess will commit a suicide or not.

I decided against watching it because I was informed by someone I trust that it was a really stupid show. 

Sorginak

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 18, 2017, 09:33:53 PM
Orville

Good music, great ship models (even though it's been done before), nice costumes.  The only problem is that it's entirely unfunny.

It plays everything so straight that I can't tell whether or not it's even trying to be funny.  There are jokes, but they're mostly throwaway lines, the sort of jokes you'd see in garfield or peanuts, not something that'll make a normal person laugh or even crack a smile.

It also has this weird vibe where the technology is super futuristic but everyone talks and acts as if it were the late 2000s.  I half expect someone to say "don't taze me, bro".  There's also this strange mix of futuristic and mundane technology - they've achieved FTL and are working on time control, but half their tech is no different from ours.  Weird.

And yet, despite these criticisms, it's still more entertaining than 90% of Enterprise and 50% of Voyager.  Don't ask me why.

I gave the show a whirl, and I am enjoying it.  I was not a fan of the end of episode three, but that's okay. 

Hydra009

I just saw the premier of Star Trek: Discovery.

It wasn't as horrific as I had heard it to be.  But it's not great, either.  It's...strange.

It feels like someone watched a highlight reel of several star trek series during a multi-day coke binge then decided to reconstruct it years later.

The plot doesn't make much internal or logical sense.  The characters are pretty dull.  But the effects and camera work is great.  Someone obviously put a lot of effort into this, but it wasn't the writers or half the bridge crew.

The show is a hot mess.  A very flashy, adrenaline-filled hot mess.

SGOS

Star Trek does seem to be getting a bit stale.  What were fabulous tales for the 1960s with thoughtful nods to the human condition, are no longer in, and with Marvel exploding onto the scene, Star Trek is just one of the lesser franchises, and Gene Rodenberry and his special feel for story telling are not behind it.  So it's just more special effects.  I will see it of course.  Not much to deliberate there. 

Hijiri Byakuren

Star Trek: The Next Generation is and will always be the best series. (The movies sucked, though.)
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on September 25, 2017, 10:47:34 PM
Star Trek does seem to be getting a bit stale.  What were fabulous tales for the 1960s with thoughtful nods to the human condition, are no longer in, and with Marvel exploding onto the scene, Star Trek is just one of the lesser franchises, and Gene Rodenberry and his special feel for story telling are not behind it.  So it's just more special effects.  I will see it of course.  Not much to deliberate there.
I dunno how much truth to there is to this, but I have a running theory that the success of sci-fi and superhero movies are inversely proportional - when one is waxing, the other is waning and vice versa.

They don't necessarily hurt each other's success directly - it's not like Marvel has it out for Star Trek or vice versa.  It could just be the case that both series are competing for much of the same audiences (and production resources), and one is going to take the lion's share while the other one goes hungry.

Also, superhero moves often have a bunch of scifi elements, so much so that they could probably be considered a sub-genre of sci-fi.  And there can only be so many sci-fi winners in a year.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on September 25, 2017, 10:47:34 PM

I understand that the Klingons in the next movie are going to be based off of Trump supporters...
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 25, 2017, 11:23:39 PM
I understand that the Klingons in the next movie are going to be based off of Trump supporters...
The Klingons slightly annoyed me because they're packed like sardines in that bridge/auditorium and I only see like 3 guys tending to the ship.  Everyone else is just standing their in awed reverence or taking part in Mr. Drama Queen's little play.

They're supposed to be a starfaring people, but they act like cosplayers at a renaissance fair.

Wow, that was a lot harsher than I initially meant.  Gonna stand by it, though.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 25, 2017, 10:30:31 PM
I just saw the premier of Star Trek: Discovery.

It wasn't as horrific as I had heard it to be.  But it's not great, either.  It's...strange.

It feels like someone watched a highlight reel of several star trek series during a multi-day coke binge then decided to reconstruct it years later.

The plot doesn't make much internal or logical sense.  The characters are pretty dull.  But the effects and camera work is great.  Someone obviously put a lot of effort into this, but it wasn't the writers or half the bridge crew.

The show is a hot mess.  A very flashy, adrenaline-filled hot mess.

I have never liked any new Star Trek series at first.  Given that, I saw the premiere of 'Discovery' but total accident last week and watched it.

I did not like it.  The Captain is fine.  The Science Officer is interesting (I kind of like his logic of being afraid of everything as an herbivore and prey).  The problem is that the Vulcan #1 is all wrong.

She is too militant and suggests a general Vulcan militancy (The Vulcan "Hello" to the Klingons) at a point when the Vulcans were culturally pacifist in the original Star Trek.  I think that is going to be a hard idea to get around given that "Discovery' is supposedly only 10 years before the original Star Trek.