If Christianity disappears so will civilization.

Started by Art Axmann, June 03, 2014, 09:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion IRC

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 20, 2014, 06:30:09 PM
:CCTV, unmarked police cars, etc..? Oh that's right.. If we all just went to church and prayed all the bad guys would just magically go away and priests could get back to the business of fucking little boys, right? :think:
Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 20, 2014, 06:30:09 PM
:CCTV, unmarked police cars, etc..? Oh that's right.. If we all just went to church and prayed all the bad guys would just magically go away and priests could get back to the business of fucking little boys, right? :think:

Which priests?
The atheist clergy?
Apparently the clergy is full of atheists hiding in the closet.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: Lion IRC on June 21, 2014, 11:31:16 PM
Which priests?
The atheist clergy?
Apparently the clergy is full of atheistspedophiles hiding in the closet, waiting to fuck little children and ruin their life.

FIFY
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

stromboli

Quote from: Lion IRC on June 21, 2014, 11:31:16 PM
Which priests?
The atheist clergy?
Apparently the clergy is full of atheists hiding in the closet.

The closet is in a church. You must have a very selective reading list if you aren't aware of what goes on in churches with Catholic priests, Baptist ministers and Mormon boy Scout leaders. Need to widen your horizons a little.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on June 22, 2014, 10:58:04 AM
The closet is in a church. You must have a very selective reading list if you aren't aware of what goes on in churches with Catholic priests, Baptist ministers and Mormon boy Scout leaders. Need to widen your horizons a little.

It won't help. Feeding real facts to someone with an IQ in the single digit is an exercise in futility.

stromboli

Quote from: josephpalazzo on June 22, 2014, 11:00:28 AM
It won't help. Feeding real facts to someone with an IQ in the single digit is an exercise in futility.

Too true, JP. But along those lines, this bit of reinforcement:

http://abpnews.com/ministry/people/item/28621-sex-offender-pastor-can-minister-to-children

QuoteDarrell Gilyard, 52, began preaching at Christ Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church in Jacksonville, Fla., shortly after his release from prison in December 2011 for sex crimes against two minor girls at his previous church. It made international news when the church barred children from worship, because Gilyard’s probation prohibited him from having contact with minors.

Recently, according to Jacksonville television station WJXT, a judge agreed to modify the probation so Gilyard can "minister to children under the age of 18 as long as the children are supervised by an adult other than the defendant."

Gilyard pleaded guilty in 2009 to lewd or lascivious conduct and molestation involving two girls younger than 16. His 2007 resignation after 15 years as pastor of Jacksonville’s Shiloh Metropolitan Baptist Church, a 7,000-member predominantly African-American congregation, marked the fifth pastorate he lost due to allegations of sexual misconduct.

A native of Palatka, Fla., Gilyard rose to fame in the Southern Baptist Convention in the late 1980s under the mentorship of former SBC presidents Jerry Vines and Paige Patterson. Jerry Falwell’s pulpit gave Gilyard a platform to share on national television his dramatic testimony of growing up a homeless orphan who lived under a bridge, a story that was later discredited.

The attention helped Gilyard attain several pastorates, until confidence in him eroded after a series of sex scandals in the early 1990s. The Dallas Morning News published stories in 1991 saying dozens of women had accused Gilyard of sexual misconduct, with some alleging rape.

Gilyard began as pastor of Shiloh Metropolitan Community Church in April 1993. He resigned Jan. 4, 2008, after a member of the congregation filed a police report claiming Gilyard sent sexually explicit text messages to her daughter.

Gilyard was arrested Jan. 14, 2008, and charged with two counts of lewd and lascivious conduct. He pleaded guilty May 21, 2009, to molesting one girl and sending lewd text messages to another.

Gilyard completed a three-year prison sentence on Dec. 28, 2011. Four weeks later he took the pulpit at Christ Tabernacle Baptist Church, prompting community protests and a visit from Jacksonville Baptist Association, which resulted in an agreement that the church would “leave the fellowship” of the Southern Baptist Convention regional affiliate.

It ought to be disturbing to theists that I can find this information with only a cursory look on the internet.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on June 22, 2014, 11:22:43 AM
Too true, JP. But along those lines, this bit of reinforcement:

http://abpnews.com/ministry/people/item/28621-sex-offender-pastor-can-minister-to-children

It ought to be disturbing to theists that I can find this information with only a cursory look on the internet.

Theists are willfully ignorant. Their answer will be typically: he wasn't a true christian... true christians don't do such thing... God gave us free will and it's up to us to avoid evil, blah, blah, blah... If you want to rationalize your irrational faith, there is always ways of doing it - it necessarily goes by ignoring the facts.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Lion IRC on June 21, 2014, 04:10:11 PM
Citation needed.
If such acts constituted normal "Christianity", why would they be illegal? Why would "Christian" law makers in a "Christian" country seek to capture and punish the perpetrators of such (sinful) deeds?

Answer - because such actions are a violation of Christianity! They are the opposite of the Ten Commandments.
~97% of people in US prisons claim some religion, mostly Christian. Evidently the morals imparted by the teachings of Jesus don't stick very well.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

My great hope has always been that Mormonism would finally suffer a catastrophic revelation that showed the whole religion is crapola, leaving all those poor Mormon women needing direction in their lives. And me with the philosophical GPS to guide them.
:biggrin:

Lion IRC

Quote from: frosty on June 21, 2014, 07:46:18 PM
You are making your situation worse by replying the way you do. Now, they will say 'Look! He is definitely pretentious based on that response!". Stop making your situation worse.
If "they" say that then I don't think "they" understand what the word pretentious means.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Lion IRC on June 21, 2014, 07:17:39 PM
A million times?
If that's the case, I would say you aren't actually hitting whatever it is you are trying to swat.
Being an unsinkable rubber duck does not mean that your position is the correct one.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

frosty

Quote from: Lion IRC on June 22, 2014, 08:23:57 PM
If "they" say that then I don't think "they" understand what the word pretentious means.

I was referencing what they said. Coming from my own point of view, you do seriously seem to have some type of arrogance factor to you, you argue with everybody and you seem to think you are an exception to all words and definitions in the English language. I've seen people of all stripes believe, and act like they are above things so it's really no surprise there.

Lion IRC

Quote from: Moralnihilist on June 22, 2014, 08:00:07 AM
FIFY

I dont get it. You crossed out atheist and wrote pedophile instead.
What are you trying to say?

frosty

Quote from: Lion IRC on June 23, 2014, 02:49:17 AM

FIFY is an acronym that means 'Fixed It For You'. He crossed out 'atheist' and he wrote 'pedophile', I would assume, to counter your point about the 'atheist clergy' and replace it with a point of his own about a 'pedophile clergy'. To be honest, I'm not sure why you used the 'atheist clergy' point anyway, I don't see where you come off thinking you can outlast an entire forum in a game of spite and words. You are better advised using your energy in different ways.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: Lion IRC on June 23, 2014, 02:49:17 AM

Several things.
1. You're an idiot
2. I wish you would fuck off and die.
3. the church is full of pedophile priests.
4. FIFY means: Fixed It For You.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

MagetheEntertainer

I honestly think that civilization would be more advance (by about 500 years) if religion in general never caught on.  I made a video talking about this here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE8UvI6wenQ.