If Christianity disappears so will civilization.

Started by Art Axmann, June 03, 2014, 09:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Art Axmann on June 03, 2014, 09:38:00 PM
Be careful what you pray for ;you just may get it!
Never prayed, no point to it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

I pray for god to STFU..Proof prayer works..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: christy starseeker on June 12, 2014, 07:33:43 AM
Personally a world without Christianity sounds fucking GREAT. I have found more happiness and enlightenment in disbelief then i ever did as a christian.
^ Yeah!

Lion IRC

Quote from: frosty on June 20, 2014, 06:29:53 PM
Can you explain then why people abuse in the name of "God"?

Nope. I can only speak for myself and I don't abuse people in the name of God.
Sounds a little blasphemous if you ask me.

Quote from: frosty on June 20, 2014, 06:29:53 PMWhy does religious extremism and abuse even exist in the first place?

These are humans were talking about right?
I don't think religion has a monopoly on "excuses for violence".

Quote from: frosty on June 20, 2014, 06:29:53 PMYou seem to be taking the very real fact of human nature and placing it where it conveniences you. The CCTV cameras, religious people killing in the name of their deity, it all ties into a violent and quite aggressive species.

Seems like we need to do something about the problem of evil/sin.

frosty

Quote from: Lion IRC on June 21, 2014, 04:37:00 AM
Nope. I can only speak for myself and I don't abuse people in the name of God.
Sounds a little blasphemous if you ask me.

But other people do, so that's the flaw in trying to replace a supposed secular corrupt system with a religious one as you implied. There always has been and always will be people hurting others in the name of "God", I see no difference between religious abuse and secular crime in terms of severity.

These are humans were talking about right?
I don't think religion has a monopoly on "excuses for violence".

No, I never said it has a monopoly on violence - nothing does, really. Not even the human race itself, as wild animals obviously commit violent acts as well. My point was, you pointed to crime and CCTV cameras as an example of people failing without "God", and yet I can point to religious abuse, religious extremism and murders done in the name of religion to show why the system on the other end of the spectrum has it's flaws as well.

Seems like we need to do something about the problem of evil/sin.

Find less biased terms and I would agree with you. People have been trying to stomp out bad things for a very long time, but what is bad in one person's eyes might be good in another's. I certainly hope you are not suggesting some religious response to "evil/sin" as the very action itself would be hypocritical and misguided. People often tend to make more mistakes by trying to correct other ones, but I would not take part in a religious cleansing/inquisition of sorts. Such efforts tend to be led by zealots who feel that everyone else should bow to their own interpretation of "the truth" when there is no reason to do so.

Brian37

This is what all religions teach, that the world will not function right if my personal tribal club is not the center of the world. Which is funny because no matter what current religions or boarders our species comes up with we still manage to fuck and make babies.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Lion IRC on June 20, 2014, 06:14:59 PM
What a "decent" form of conversation you have there.

Whenever I hear folks say they can be good without God, I gotta ask, why are there CCTV cameras everywhere? And unmarked cop cars and undercover police and speed cameras....

Lol! Fuck you too Lion. Do I need to remind you that most of the people in the west committing the acts that necessitate those CCTV cameras are Christians?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Mermaid

Quote from: Brian37 on June 21, 2014, 08:38:31 AM
This is what all religions teach, that the world will not function right if my personal tribal club is not the center of the world. Which is funny because no matter what current religions or boarders our species comes up with we still manage to fuck and make babies.
This is very well articulated.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on June 21, 2014, 08:48:22 AM
Lol! Fuck you too Lion. Do I need to remind you that most of the people in the west committing the acts that necessitate those CCTV cameras are Christians?
Yep, epic fail. Lion points out that Christians aren't moral quite effectively.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Lion IRC

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on June 21, 2014, 08:48:22 AM
Do I need to remind you that most of the people in the west committing the acts that necessitate those CCTV cameras are Christians?

Citation needed.
If such acts constituted normal "Christianity", why would they be illegal? Why would "Christian" law makers in a "Christian" country seek to capture and punish the perpetrators of such (sinful) deeds?

Answer - because such actions are a violation of Christianity! They are the opposite of the Ten Commandments.

Mr.Obvious

These ten commandments?

I. Thou shalt worship no other god.
II. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
III. The feast of unleavened bread thou shalt keep.
IV. Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest.
V. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest,
and the feast of ingathering at the year’s end.
VI. Thrice in the year shall all your men children appear before the Lord God.
VII. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven.
VIII. Neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.
IX. The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God.
X. Thou shalt not seethe a kid [ie, a young goat] in his mother’s milk.
(source: http://disinfo.com/2010/02/the-ten-commandments-we-always-see-arent-the-ten-commandments/)
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hijiri Byakuren

Another pretentious Christian who thinks we haven't swatted down these issues a million times.

I fucking hate the summer troll season.

Sent from Monster Island. Titty sprinkles.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Lion IRC

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on June 21, 2014, 04:59:05 PM
Another pretentious Christian who thinks we haven't swatted down these issues a million times...

A million times?
If that's the case, I would say you aren't actually hitting whatever it is you are trying to swat.

AllPurposeAtheist

I guess it's true then. Satan is more powerful than invisigod. (Invisible god) tsk tsk..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

frosty

Quote from: Lion IRC on June 21, 2014, 07:17:39 PM
A million times?
If that's the case, I would say you aren't actually hitting whatever it is you are trying to swat.

You are making your situation worse by replying the way you do. Now, they will say 'Look! He is definitely pretentious based on that response!". Stop making your situation worse.