News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Yahoo News is Getting Exceptionally Bad

Started by SGOS, August 17, 2013, 12:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Has anyone noticed the continuing degradation of Yahoo News?  It was never first class to begin with, and devoted an inordinate amount of space to things like "OMG", which addressed such valuable issues like Lindsey Lohan's frumpy dress she wore somewhere or another.  I guess a lot of people want to know these things.  But...

it's recent reorganization defies understanding.  There is an endless page of articles that scroll on forever.  Some articles are not articles at all, but flat out advertisements marked as such with a light print.  Some are unmarked, but are headlined with something that sounds like news.  

The last couple of days, I've been clicking on "articles" only to be led to a brief comment about the length of a Yahoo user's comment, basically, just a reword of the headline.  

There are headlines that link to articles broken into 3 or more segments of 2 paragraphs each.  You read a paragraph or two, and then have to click though the whole article.   OK, OK.  I get it!  They want to expose you to more advertising with more cleverly designed popups.

Granted you are given an opportunity to select only articles on politics, but you still end up getting articles/ads about meeting singles.

Now, I've grown accustomed to ads on the Net... to an extent, but Yahoo is becoming an internet infomercial that only wants to advertise, while providing as little actual useable content as possible.  It's like they fired their content staff and put the money into salesmen selling ad space.

"Oh here's something interesting.  Let's see what it says about that."  What you often get is a video swiped off of CNN, preceded by an advertisement.  Nine times out of ten, I exit the page within the first 3 seconds of the ad and don't get to the video.  Maybe it would have been interesting or informative, but this all turns out to be mostly a waste of time.

aileron

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

SGOS

Quote from: "aileron"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley
Dr. Strangelove.  I'll never forget that line.

Jutter

When using Redit to check the news, the failing links are always Yahoo
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Nonsensei

Although an internet icon, Yahoo now serves no unique purpose. It also does nothing the best. It has a search engine, but everyone just uses Google anyway. It has a mail program, but its not very good and is in fact probably the client most likely to have strange errors. One could even argue that the current mail client is worse than the original iteration of yahoo mail. it has a news service, but it can't compete with mainstream media news sites.

Its an internet jack of all trades but master of none, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that their hits have suffered in recent years. Unless you have had a mail account with them for almost 15 years like I have I can't think of a single reason to visit yahoo instead of another site that will better provide you with what you're looking for.

So it's no surprise that yahoo has gravitated toward fakenews and added more advertisements. Its literally the only thing they can do to offer something you can't get anywhere else. Thats why you see so many gossipy yahoo news newspinion pieces.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

SGOS

Quote from: "Nonsensei"Unless you have had a mail account with them for almost 15 years like I have I can't think of a single reason to visit yahoo instead of another site that will better provide you with what you're looking for.

Yeah, that's why I'm still with them.  They're my mailing address for all the contacts and businesses I work with.  I use google mail for friends, but 95 percent of my mail comes through yahoo and I guess I'm too lazy to switch over.  Yahoo mail is fine most of the time, but about 8 years ago, they went through a month of disorder, where I couldn't get mail at all, so I started a google account out of self defense. Yahoo is my home page.  It was useable for years, and I had no major complaints, but this recent strategy of theirs may end up driving me away for good.  Yahoo seems to be in an accelerating downhill spiral, like they are testing customers to see how much crap people are willing to accept.

stromboli

Yahuh? I think the name is now synonymous with irrelevant. It is a douche only site.  :-D

Hydra009

Pssh.  Yahoo News isn't all that bad.  They come out with great articles like this all the time.

stromboli

viocjit

When I read articles from Yahoo news (French version) I laugh when I'm reading the comments.
The title of this thread is "Yahoo News is Getting Exceptionally Bad". I have the same opinion than you about the quality of articles from this website.

Triple Nine

Yahoo is the shithole of the internet, along with troll sites.
Playing: Skullgirls
On hold: Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
Pokemon X & Y (3DS)
Whenever I get my GODDAMNED 3DS back  \":evil:\"
Religion, Nationalism, and Racism is all under the evil wing of Conservatism and preservation of useless traditions!

Minimalist

All news has gone down the shitter.  This was predicted in the 1976 film "Network."  Unlike biblical predictions, Network's came true.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Plu

You should, at the very least, install AdBlocker and get rid of the advertisements while also denying Yahoo the money they get for serving you all that crap.

AllPurposeAtheist

There's a huge niche market in fucking stupid. Fox 'news' made a shitload of money from the stupid market. Never underestimate how low money will go.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Fidel_Castronaut

lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!