News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Yahoo News is Getting Exceptionally Bad

Started by SGOS, August 17, 2013, 12:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ApostateLois

Firefox is supposed to prevent pop-up ads, but it doesn't. I'll sometimes get the message, "Firefox prevented a pop-up ad," or whatever, but it's never true; the ad pops up, anyway, and I have to close it myself.

As for Yahoo, I have my main email address there, but I've noticed that it's getting worse about directing spam into the spam folder. Some of it is pretty obviously spam, like ads for penis enlargers, or a link to a dating site.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Plu

It's a never ending battle between marketers who don't realise they are mostly annoying users and most users don't even look at the ad before closing it and the browser and plugin builders who are trying to figure out how to block all that junk out.

Sal1981

Yahoo has been going downhill for years. Google's news aggregator is stream-lined and picks up current news on what category you actually want to see from news sites around the world.

I have no idea what the hell they're thinking at Yahoo. Giving what people want doesn't seem to be one of their priorities.

ApostateLois

...double post

ApostateLois

_Xenu_

Yahoo isn't always horrible, but its way too heavy on celebrity stuff I don't care about.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

frosty

You could easily replace "Yahoo" with another variable and say "X"(put whatever you don't like in X) is getting exceptionally bad.

Thankfully the Internet is a vast virtual landscape, but it could be said that many things on the Internet are getting exceptionally bad. But we don't have to pay attention to it, because ever since the Internet started becoming used by a more mainstream userbase there has been some pretty rotten stuff on it.

Minimalist

It isn't only Yahoo.  The entire American media is in the shitter.  Last weekend on a 30 minute local "news" broadcast they spent 8 minutes - or roughly 1/3 of the non-commerical time - talking about fucking football.

It has gotten so bad that at night I take my tablet and read the BBC and Agence France-Presse just to find out what is going on in the world.

If there were ever one prediction which came true it was in the 1976 movie "Network" where they predicted 'news as entertainment."
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Sal1981

Quote from: "ApostateLois"Think Yahoo is bad?

Writer posted a YouTube video

:lol:
That was hilarious.

Hydra009

worse news:  it was a kickass video game music video that will never see the light of day again.   :(

Atheon

Quote from: "Hydra009"

worse news:  it was a kickass video game music video that will never see the light of day again.   :(
Video was removed by user.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca