News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anime Thread!

Started by Notthesun, July 03, 2013, 05:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

The difference between seeing and observing, hearing and listening, analysis and synthesis, science and religion ... a meandering musing about this ...

There once was a man who was illiterate, but had a Western POV.  When he was first presented with a text, he was puzzled, he didn't know what it was.  But being a great analyst, he examined it carefully ... and being atomistic himself, he naturally deconstructed it.  He discovered that it was made up of paragraphs, and that the paragraphs were made up of sentences, and the sentences were made up of words, and the words were made up of letters.  And continuing his examination, he discovered that there were only 26 letters in any text.  At this point he thought he had insight, and proclaimed that the meaning of any text was the principle that it was made up of exactly those 26 letters, no more, no less.  He then showed a literate person his great insight.  The literate person then exclaimed ... you aren't a reader, you are a chemist of literacy, a kind of idiot savant.

Per Derrida, the reader isn't unbiased, but brings themselves to any text they read, and so to a degree, the meaning of any text they read, is simply a part of themselves reflected back.  But observing, listening, composing and religion aren't like that.  The first is left-brain mania ... and if all you have is a hammer, then nobody can convince you that reality isn't entirely made up of nails.  Such a person will say that the story is just fiction, it has no meaning.  Well, isn't that because they are empty inside themselves, and simply find their own emptiness reflected back at them?  Similarly with emotions.  If a person is hateful, won't they discover in every interaction with another human, that every human is hateful (see pr126 or myself).  Or more metaphysically, if an orderly person examines the world around them, won't they discover order .. something that they bring to the process but it came from within themselves?

Now apply this to anime.  Does a Westerner only fined Western-ism ... but a Japanese doesn't find that experience but Japan-ism?  Don't be fooled when a Japanese author uses Western tropes ... these are cultural cross-dressings.  The Japanese person isn't actually Western if he puts on a business suit.  He is still wearing a kimono in his own mind.  Or as a Westerner, should we complain to a Japanese, that they aren't being Japanese enough (matching our own illiterate stereotype)?  For all our cross-cultural exchanges, we are still not Japanese, and the Japanese are not Western.  Though sometimes Japanese mistakenly think they are, the flip of my observation I am making here, as in the use by Japanese of Japan-glish.  If I spice something I write with "Japanese" terms say "Satori" .. I hope I realize, that I am not actually Japanese.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on November 14, 2017, 07:34:35 PM
You’ve described my reaction to every live action adaptation of anime ever.
It's about as difficult to make a good live action anime movie as it is a good video game movie; they both usually fail because the art style is so integral to the work that it falls flat without it.

Also, animation's key strength is that it can easily create fantastical, unreal scenes that live action simply cannot match (at least, not without a lot of CGI work, and even then it's sorta hit-or-miss)

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 11, 2017, 02:42:39 PM
Dragon Ball Z had an ending. GT was noncanon, so you could ignore it. Dragon Ball Super has actually revived the series, though, and it's pretty good. Get's better with time. It takes place in the middle of a the time skip between the Buu saga and the end of Z, so it technically still has an ending. I think the original FMA anime ended with a movie, but then Brotherhood came out and actually followed the manga material instead of making stuff up when the author couldn't churn it out fast enough. I liked Inuyasha too, but I never got to finish it.

So my claim was correct.  None of them actually finished...  I'm not trying to be difficult, but until all the threads are resolved and the characters "go home" they aren't really "finished", are they?  Hack/Dot/Sign might have actually "finished".
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 02:02:16 AM
So my claim was correct.  None of them actually finished...  I'm not trying to be difficult, but until all the threads are resolved and the characters "go home" they aren't really "finished", are they?  Hack/Dot/Sign might have actually "finished".

Some anime seem to go on forever, like an American soap opera. Naruto is one of those anime. After Naruto grows up, he has a kid, and the story follows him. Jojo follows a number of characters sharing the same name, who live in different time periods. When one dies, it just moves on to his next heir.

Dragon Ball, though, does still have an ending. Super just adds more to the middle of the story. Unless it goes beyond the end of Z, we know how it ends. Super also wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the terrible live action movie Dragon Ball Evolution leaving such a bad taste in Akira Toriyama's mouth. That disaater of a movie made him want to make his own movie, Battle of Gods, and then he just kept going.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 16, 2017, 12:29:12 PM
Some anime seem to go on forever, like an American soap opera. Naruto is one of those anime. After Naruto grows up, he has a kid, and the story follows him. Jojo follows a number of characters sharing the same name, who live in different time periods. When one dies, it just moves on to his next heir.

Dragon Ball, though, does still have an ending. Super just adds more to the middle of the story. Unless it goes beyond the end of Z, we know how it ends. Super also wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the terrible live action movie Dragon Ball Evolution leaving such a bad taste in Akira Toriyama's mouth. That disaater of a movie made him want to make his own movie, Battle of Gods, and then he just kept going.

OK, I'll allow you that one.  But the rest?  PHHHHT!  No endings.

Hydra009

I've been going through my old bookmarks, a stroll down memory lane, and I figured I'd share my personal favorite anime.

Aldnoah Zero
Attack on Titan
Code Geass
Gundam 00
Hellsing
Seraph of the End
Slayers
Soul Eater

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 03, 2017, 12:30:40 AM
I've been going through my old bookmarks, a stroll down memory lane, and I figured I'd share my personal favorite anime.

Aldnoah Zero
Attack on Titan
Code Geass
Gundam 00
Hellsing
Seraph of the End
Slayers
Soul Eater

Not "Full Metal Alchemist"?

Mr.Obvious

Does 'Full metal alchemist: brotherhood' need the three episode rule?
I watched the first episode and must say, it didn't reel me in.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 19, 2017, 06:23:45 AM
Does 'Full metal alchemist: brotherhood' need the three episode rule?
I watched the first episode and must say, it didn't reel me in.

Yeah, the first few episodes of Brotherhood are boring. They're essentially the same as the original anime, with a few minor changes. However, the show diverges and goes its own way. That's when it really gets interesting.
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 19, 2017, 01:18:15 PM
Yeah, the first few episodes of Brotherhood are boring. They're essentially the same as the original anime, with a few minor changes. However, the show diverges and goes its own way. That's when it really gets interesting.

Watched neither before, heard brotherhood was better.
Will try to give it a shot then, thanks.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on December 18, 2017, 09:40:12 AM
Not "Full Metal Alchemist"?
Did I stutter?

*edited to be more productive/kinder:
inserting your favorite into someone else's favorites list = red X
replying with your own list of favorites = green checkmark

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 19, 2017, 05:41:40 PM
Did I stutter?

*edited to be more productive/kinder:
inserting your favorite into someone else's favorites list = red X
replying with your own list of favorites = green checkmark

List needs a ≠. 3/10
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 19, 2017, 06:03:10 PM
List needs a ≠. 3/10

Full Metal Alchemist was good because it actually had a story arc.

Mr.Obvious

Watched kakegurui. Weird show. Uncomfortable and over The top. I don't get if they were trying to arouse me or frighten me. Never felt worried for The protagonist either, no matter The stakes in this gambling anime. Wouldn't recommend, but it was strange enough to keep my attention for a whole season.

Currently watching devilman crybaby, not sure i like it yet. Watched 3 episodes.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 21, 2018, 01:33:51 PM
Watched kakegurui. Weird show. Uncomfortable and over The top. I don't get if they were trying to arouse me or frighten me. Never felt worried for The protagonist either, no matter The stakes in this gambling anime. Wouldn't recommend, but it was strange enough to keep my attention for a whole season.

Currently watching devilman crybaby, not sure i like it yet. Watched 3 episodes.

You mean like this? ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rkUDTLMzR4
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.