Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Speaking of Thanos' snap, there's something I've always wondered, and I'm not sure if I posted about it here. How exactly did the logic behind the snap define what is a "living thing?" Technically, humans are a combination of countless cells, but it seems that they were all grouped together as one living thing. But the human body is also composed of a bunch of non-human cells too. What about gut bacteria? Did survivors have half of their gut biomes destroyed? Did snapped people have some of their gut biomes get left behind? And what about pregnant women? If a mother was snapped, did her baby just plop on the ground? Or the other way around. Did women suddenly find their pregnancies aborted via Infinity Stones?

What about viruses? Those technically aren't living, according to the scientific definition of life. So did half of all life get cut in half, but they were suddenly having to deal with twice the proportions of viruses?

What about the Hulk? He basically had a split personality. Did he count as one or two? Did he flip the coin twice and just get really lucky?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

the_antithesis

Repeat to yourself: "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

Gawdzilla Sama

Scarlett Bitch. They missed a chance there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 17, 2024, 12:22:16 AMSpeaking of Thanos' snap, there's something I've always wondered, and I'm not sure if I posted about it here.

What about viruses? Those technically aren't living, according to the scientific definition of life. So did half of all life get cut in half, but they were suddenly having to deal with twice the proportions of viruses?

What about the Hulk? He basically had a split personality. Did he count as one or two? Did he flip the coin twice and just get really lucky?
Try not to overthink it. lol

Gawdzilla Sama

Or, if it's the Marvel Universe, at all.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

I'm thinking the stone gave Thanos the power to make whatever was in his mind happen. But while Thanos was powerful, he wasn't all that brilliant. So there were some details in the big plan that had to take care of themselves.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 17, 2024, 12:22:16 AMSpeaking of Thanos' snap, there's something I've always wondered, and I'm not sure if I posted about it here. How exactly did the logic behind the snap define what is a "living thing?"
Technically, he targetted everything with a soul (souls are a thing in marvel, hence Doctor Strange flying around as a ghost)

He used the gems to locate everything with a mind/soul, stuffed half of them in the soul world (he never actually killed them, despite appearances) and used the reality gem to make it permanent.

Blackleaf

Time for everyone to go out and murder the Hollywood elites again. Oh, wait. That never actually happened? They just assumed that we were all so easily manipulated that we'd see the movie and think, "Oh, that looks like a good idea. We should do that." Oh yeah.

It can be hard to tell from just a trailer if a movie is going to be good, but I'm pretty hopeful for this one. It looks like they managed to find a way to make a sequel without actually answering if the first movie's events were "real" or just in Arthur's head. Although having Lady Gaga play his girlfriend has me thinking, "Oh yeah. It's all in his head."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 23, 2024, 11:56:35 AMIt can be hard to tell from just a trailer if a movie is going to be good, but I'm pretty hopeful for this one. It looks like they managed to find a way to make a sequel without actually answering if the first movie's events were "real" or just in Arthur's head.
Imho, it's a fix of reality and fantasy.  He started out with nearly 100% reality and ended up with nearly 100% fantasy.  He started losing his grip on reality when he murdered those people in the subway and almost totally lost control when he crawled into the fridge.  All we know for sure is that he murdered those people and then there was another spree of violence then he got caught.

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 23, 2024, 11:56:35 AMIt can be hard to tell from just a trailer if a movie is going to be good, but I'm pretty hopeful for this one.
I'll be watching for this one. I doubt it will be as good as the first. How could it be that good? That first film was the best movie I had seen in 15 years. I went to see it at the movie theater four times, and then I bought the DVD. I was a huge fan of Marvel back then, and DC actually topped anything Marvel put out with The Joker. So it goes without saying, count me in on the sequel.

Unbeliever

Just saw a movie called As Above, So Below. Not bad for a scary movie. Kinda claustrophobic, but not much CGI. Don't know any of the actors, but they did quite well.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on July 23, 2024, 06:38:49 PMThat first film was the best movie I had seen in 15 years. I went to see it at the movie theater four times, and then I bought the DVD.
Same.  Though some people I know really didn't like it.  One apparently wanted Batman to swoop in and save the day (it's not that kind of movie, though).  Others didn't like the dark humor or the conga line of trauma or the perceived message that revenge is a good way to deal with being victimized.

Essentially, their expectations were that this is a superhero movie where the villain loses (not this time - it's a villain protagonist and villainous origin story, so ofc he "wins" in the end).  The other incorrect expectation is that the overall message is acceptable (it's a villain story, so the moral of the story is going to be extremely messed up.  The Joker is similar to Batman in that his life is scarred by injustice, but the opposite in how he deals with it - disproportionate retribution on those who slighted him, sowing chaos, attention-seeking, etc)

Basically, it's supposed to be a possible explanation for why the Joker is why he is and equally importantly, put us in his shoes so we can develop some sort of sympathy for him, despite disagreeing with his methods.  In that I think it succeed beyond expectations.

Blackleaf

I forget where I saw this posted, but someone said, "The importance of a sympathetic villain is not to teach us that villany is justified, but that any of us could become a villain in the right circumstance." Basically, the villain is a warning, not a goal. If all we see are cartoon villains, who are evil for evil's sake, we don't learn to recognize the more realistic villains of the real world, or our own potential to become corrupted.
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

I grew  up in the Mid West of the USA. Perfectly normal farm-boy life. Then I joined the Navy. Went to Vietnam. My citation read in part "It is not possible to calculate the EKIA the petty officer is responsible for." .50 cal Browning can kill at four miles. Protective fire for the young men shagging ass to our boats for a ride back down river. I don't consider myself a villain, but I've killed more people than the average American will speak to in a day.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 23, 2024, 08:58:20 PMBasically, it's supposed to be a possible explanation for why the Joker is why he is and equally importantly, put us in his shoes so we can develop some sort of sympathy for him, despite disagreeing with his methods.  In that I think it succeed beyond expectations.
The Joker in Christian Bale's Batman Begins series is the most vile and unhinged Joker I can remember. Even before the Joker origin film came along, I would wonder what it might take to make a person become that. The film explains it in a realistic way. A mentally unstable psychotic loner is tormented constantly, until he comes to hate the world.

OK, that's the premise, but the execution of the premise was superb.