News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anime Thread!

Started by Notthesun, July 03, 2013, 05:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 14, 2017, 10:00:28 PM
Same.  Though it'd be extremely easy to get carried away and to strike out at lesser and lesser targets.  It'd take a saint to wield that with proper restraint.

Yeah, the problem with it is that it's power corrupts. When Light gives up the DN he doesn't think himself possible of doing all those things either. But once he has the power...
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 14, 2017, 09:35:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many of you would use a Death Note if it fell into your possession one day? Personally, I would definitely make use of it, but my methods would be very different from Light's. I would never use it on the police or the innocent, but I'd limit my killings to people the world would be better without, such as Kim Jong Un. I wouldn't purposefully bring attention to myself. I'd also make the times of death very random, and my targets would be from all over, to make my location harder to pin down.

Kim Jong Un for sure.  Maybe Putin.  Maybe that annoying groundhog under the toolshed...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

Kill la Kill! and the Meiji Period. Interesting little blog post on how the anime very closely mirrors and mocks the Meiji Restoration, as well as State Shinto, it's a really interesting and short read... probably deserves it's own thread, or a thread discussing the links between popular anime and Japanese history and culture which influences it (which I think certainly contains enough knowledge to warrant it's own thread), but for now I'll just leave this here.

http://www.studyofanime.com/2014/04/inspirations-kill-la-kill-and.html

It's a shame how few people will learn this type of stuff simply because they see, "anime" and instantly assume children and entertainment without realising both of those can tell you a world more of information than one thinks, and arguably can tell you more about a people than any textbook can.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on November 08, 2017, 08:08:24 PM
Kill la Kill! and the Meiji Period. Interesting little blog post on how the anime very closely mirrors and mocks the Meiji Restoration, as well as State Shinto, it's a really interesting and short read... probably deserves it's own thread, or a thread discussing the links between popular anime and Japanese history and culture which influences it (which I think certainly contains enough knowledge to warrant it's own thread), but for now I'll just leave this here.

http://www.studyofanime.com/2014/04/inspirations-kill-la-kill-and.html

It's a shame how few people will learn this type of stuff simply because they see, "anime" and instantly assume children and entertainment without realising both of those can tell you a world more of information than one thinks, and arguably can tell you more about a people than any textbook can.

Speaking of anime, do they ever actually end?  I used to love Inuyasha, a couple of sword samurai animes, one that had people fighting invisible demons, the Dragonballs, and Full Metal Alchemist.  They just seemed to disappear without ending...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 07:44:49 AM
Speaking of anime, do they ever actually end?  I used to love Inuyasha, a couple of sword samurai animes, one that had people fighting invisible demons, the Dragonballs, and Full Metal Alchemist.  They just seemed to disappear without ending...

Dragon Ball Z had an ending. GT was noncanon, so you could ignore it. Dragon Ball Super has actually revived the series, though, and it's pretty good. Get's better with time. It takes place in the middle of a the time skip between the Buu saga and the end of Z, so it technically still has an ending. I think the original FMA anime ended with a movie, but then Brotherhood came out and actually followed the manga material instead of making stuff up when the author couldn't churn it out fast enough. I liked Inuyasha too, but I never got to finish it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Full Metal Alchemist developed into a series of feature movie animations, most recently ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSy2NzKK-8A
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on November 11, 2017, 02:49:29 PM
Full Metal Alchemist developed into a series of feature movie animations, most recently ...

Oh, Christ. I wish they'd stop with this badly made anime-based movies. Not every anime needs a cringy live action adaptation!
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Many of them, yes.  Probably most of the ones I've seen.

But plenty of them are adaptions of a manga that hasn't wrapped up by the time the anime was broadcast.  The anime catches up, then wraps up as best they can before a very long wait for new content to pile up for new episodes.

Shiranu

Speaking of Full Metal, just about to finish Brotherhood tonight. Absolutely wonderful series, I wish the start wasn't so slow so that more people could appreciate it. I know two co-workers who cant get into it, and it took me a good 7-8 years to go back and actually watch it through past episode 8 or so.

I'm not sure how I feel about Avatar being or not being anime. I think the art is... different... from traditional anime, but at the same time the cultural elements are deeper than 90% or more of Japanese anime and really delve deeper into Japanese, and Asian in general, folklore and myth than anything called a "cartoon" should do.

Anime is just a sub-branch of cartoon, and I would argue that Avatar is a semi-anime cartoon in that it is heavily influenced and produced in an anime style... but I would say Avatar actually transcends just "anime" because it incorporates non-Japanese Asian influences as well. Not calling it an anime is probably meant as an insult, but I think it should rather be viewed as a compliment that it transcends being just an anime. I think trying to call it just a cartoon or an anime is the real insult; it should be called an epic piece of art and storytelling.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Shiranu on November 11, 2017, 07:06:14 PM
Speaking of Full Metal, just about to finish Brotherhood tonight. Absolutely wonderful series, I wish the start wasn't so slow so that more people could appreciate it. I know two co-workers who cant get into it, and it took me a good 7-8 years to go back and actually watch it through past episode 8 or so.

I'm not sure how I feel about Avatar being or not being anime. I think the art is... different... from traditional anime, but at the same time the cultural elements are deeper than 90% or more of Japanese anime and really delve deeper into Japanese, and Asian in general, folklore and myth than anything called a "cartoon" should do.

Anime is just a sub-branch of cartoon, and I would argue that Avatar is a semi-anime cartoon in that it is heavily influenced and produced in an anime style... but I would say Avatar actually transcends just "anime" because it incorporates non-Japanese Asian influences as well. Not calling it an anime is probably meant as an insult, but I think it should rather be viewed as a compliment that it transcends being just an anime. I think trying to call it just a cartoon or an anime is the real insult; it should be called an epic piece of art and storytelling.

I haven't watched fulmetal alchemist (brotherhood). But it's high on my list. I've heard great things. Which is better to watch first, the first or the second show, you reckon?

Also; I concider anime to be a style and movement, rather than a clearly defined medium. If Avatar had been produced by two asian guys somewhere in Asia and had the same art-style, I feel confident in saying it would have been concidered Anime by all, with praise for its excecution and for taking western elements of cartoons into it and refining them. And if its just this geographical difference, I don't get it. I hardly get it for, par example, Champagne only being allowed to come from the Champagne-region. I can just get my head around that; but a show is like art. It's not some food grown from local products; its inspired ideas brought forth through a style and the interconnection between those two. It would be like saying China and Japan can't make 'Dada' because that came into fruition in Switzerlands. That's bull.
And like any new show, inspired by the movement, it brings something new to the table. In this case a fusion, a hybrid, between the style of cartoon and the style of anime. More anime than Teen Titans and less anime than The boondocks: but still both. Imho
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on November 11, 2017, 07:06:14 PMI'm not sure how I feel about Avatar being or not being anime. I think the art is... different... from traditional anime, but at the same time the cultural elements are deeper than 90% or more of Japanese anime and really delve deeper into Japanese, and Asian in general, folklore and myth than anything called a "cartoon" should do.

Reminds me of the various heavy metal classifications and endless debates about it.  I think part of the problem is the stigmatization of cartoons as children's entertainment.

As far as I'm concerned, anime just refers to a cartoon produced in Japan.  It's an intentionally oversimplistic definition because creating a nuanced definition would be far more effort than it's worth.  Imo, cartoon vs anime is a trivial distinction.  In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't much matter.

Shiranu

Fullmetal Alchemist? More like Feelsmetal Alchemist.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Baruch on November 11, 2017, 02:49:29 PM

Oh my god, it looks as terrible as I imagined.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Shiranu

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on November 12, 2017, 08:09:58 PM
Oh my god, it looks as terrible as I imagined.

This is a parody, or a student film, right?

Right Al?

Alphones?

ALPHONNNNNNNNNNNESSSSS!!!

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Shiranu on November 12, 2017, 08:41:06 PM
This is a parody, or a student film, right?

Right Al?

Alphones?

ALPHONNNNNNNNNNNESSSSS!!!
You’ve described my reaction to every live action adaptation of anime ever.

I’d call you a cunt, but that would imply that you possess warmth and depth.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel